    Any help would be appreciated.

    --
    RodS

    =?Utf-8?B?Um9kUw==?=, Jan 6, 2007

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Um9kUw==?=

    Malke Guest

    donotspam wrote:

    > I have a (hard wired) LAN using a Router that is connected to my ADSL
    > modem. This enables visitors to my home to plug into the socket in their
    > bedroom. (OS is XP Professional SP2)
    >
    > However, some visitors only have wireless networking (indeed, I might even
    > buy a laptop myself with wireless facilities). Can I buy a wireless router
    > and plug it into a spare USB port on my computer to allow them to then
    > "patch through" to my Router and so to the ADSL Modem to enable them to
    > access the Internet?
    >
    > In theory I can see no reason why I cannot have two networks (and so share
    > files etc. across any computer on either network) but I'm not sure about
    > how to set up the visiting computer to connect to my computer over the
    > wireless link and then to the Router and so to the ADSL modem.

    It would be simpler to either change the current router for a wired one or
    to purchase a wireless access point.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Malke, Jan 6, 2007

  3. Sorry Malke - the current Router is "wired" and connected to each computer
    via the LAN and also to an ADSL Modem. What I want to do is to connect a
    wireless Router to my "main" computer and thus allow a "visiting" computer
    with wireless facilities to connect to the Internet. I realise that this may
    mean that my main computer has to be switched on to act as a bridge between
    the two networks.
    --
    RodS

    =?Utf-8?B?Um9kUw==?=, Jan 6, 2007
  4. =?Utf-8?B?Um9kUw==?=

    Dave Guest

    if you already have a router running your lan all you need is a wireless
    access point like the netgear wg602. you just plug it into a port on the
    router and it provides the wireless access to the lan. they are easy to
    configure and don't require a computer to be on to act as a bridge. one
    access point can handle a bunch of wireless users, 8 to 32 at least so its
    no problem with your machines plus guests.

    Dave, Jan 6, 2007
  5. Hi

    It can be done, but it is Not very functional.

    Connecting to a Wireless card attached to computer, means Ad-Hoc connection.
    I.e. people that come to you will need to change their Wireless
    configuration from the Normal Infrastructure configuration the Ad-Hoc (many
    people do not know how, or and, do not want to "mess" around with their
    configuration). In addition, you would need to bridge the connection, or
    use ICS. Wireless tends to be less stable under such arrangement, and it
    reduces your own security.

    You might have your own reasons to do so, but objectively I cannot find any
    good reason to pursue such a route.

    In any case, if you decide to take the second Router approach you have two
    options.

    Option one, using the second Wireless Router as an Access Point,
    http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html

    Option two, creating a segregated Network for the Wireless,
    http://www.ezlan.net/shield.html

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    I can not find one good reason

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jan 6, 2007
  6. =?Utf-8?B?Um9kUw==?=

    Malke Guest

    donotspam wrote:

    > Sorry Malke - the current Router is "wired" and connected to each computer
    > via the LAN and also to an ADSL Modem. What I want to do is to connect a
    > wireless Router to my "main" computer and thus allow a "visiting" computer
    > with wireless facilities to connect to the Internet. I realise that this
    > may mean that my main computer has to be switched on to act as a bridge
    > between the two networks.

    Yes, I understood your setup and that doesn't change my answer. Add a
    wireless access point. That's the way my own network is set up; I have an
    8-port wired router and a wireless access point. The access point is
    connected to one of the router's lan ports. You're making this far more
    complicated than it needs to be.

    Malke

    Malke, Jan 6, 2007