two networks running from one access point?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by gaikokujinkyofusho@gmail.com, Jan 15, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Not sure how to explain this but... my neighbor and i would like to
    setup my place/network/lan using an outside access point (buddy next
    door [If your wondering, I have his ok]). Now if i just wanted to
    connect one of my computers then no problem but i would like to be able
    to setup a point so i can just plug my (mostly wireless) network into
    say one router, and probably an antennae (the signal is ok, but could
    be stronger).

    So, is it possible to have one wireless router "feed" off the signal of
    another wireless router and then i can plug my wired network into this
    router (maybe i am getting the terminology mixed up, yes i'ma noob)?
    Are there any howto-for-noobs on the web? Everything i have found so
    far deals with getting one computer to connect with a router.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

    Cheers

    -Gaiko
    , Jan 15, 2006

  2. I think you're posting in the wrong NG my friend, luckily no one hasn't
    spammed you just yet. But at any rate I'll be a nice guy and kindly answer
    your question. =)

    If you're thinking of connecting your buddy's WAP into your WAP wirelessly,
    no it is not possible since you'll need a PPPoe login access to get into his
    dsl/cable account.

    But connecting wired, yes it is possible. The main thing is have your buddy
    next door's WAP to act as a dhcp router. The only challenge that you'll be
    facing is finding a long cable to connect from your buddy's main WAP to
    yours/your friend's WAP - not sure on how far apart are you guys.

    GLuck!

    =?Utf-8?B?RGVsYmVydA==?=, Jan 15, 2006

  3. Guest

    Delbert wrote:
    > I think you're posting in the wrong NG my friend, luckily no one hasn't
    > spammed you just yet. But at any rate I'll be a nice guy and kindly answer
    > your question. =)

    Oops, sorry; thanks for answering anyway (and sorry to anyone out there
    I offended)

    > If you're thinking of connecting your buddy's WAP into your WAP wirelessly,
    > no it is not possible since you'll need a PPPoe login access to get into his
    > dsl/cable account.
    >
    > But connecting wired, yes it is possible. The main thing is have your buddy
    > next door's WAP to act as a dhcp router. The only challenge that you'll be
    > facing is finding a long cable to connect from your buddy's main WAP to
    > yours/your friend's WAP - not sure on how far apart are you guys.
    >
    > GLuck!

    Thanks again!

    > "" wrote:
    >
    > > Not sure how to explain this but... my neighbor and i would like to
    > > setup my place/network/lan using an outside access point (buddy next
    > > door [If your wondering, I have his ok]). Now if i just wanted to
    > > connect one of my computers then no problem but i would like to be able
    > > to setup a point so i can just plug my (mostly wireless) network into
    > > say one router, and probably an antennae (the signal is ok, but could
    > > be stronger).
    > >
    > > So, is it possible to have one wireless router "feed" off the signal of
    > > another wireless router and then i can plug my wired network into this
    > > router (maybe i am getting the terminology mixed up, yes i'ma noob)?
    > > Are there any howto-for-noobs on the web? Everything i have found so
    > > far deals with getting one computer to connect with a router.
    > >
    > > Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    > >
    > > Cheers
    > >
    > > -Gaiko

    , Jan 17, 2006