Two Networks - One PC

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by ansonee, Nov 27, 2007.

  1. ansonee

    ansonee Guest

    I know this may not be the proper forum for this, but I couldn't find
    one
    that was a better fit.

    I have two different networks in my house. My landlord supplies
    ewveryone in
    the duplex with free wireless Internet access. I have my own "network"
    in my
    duplex. My desktop PC has both a wireless card and a wired NIC. The
    wired NIC
    is connected to my Linksys 4 port router. Also attached to this router
    are a
    couple of external hard drives.

    The problem is this: if I have both network cards enabled (wireless
    and
    wired), I'm able to see the devices connected to MY router, but I'm
    unable to
    surf the Internet.

    How can I have these two networks coexist in peace? The Linksys
    network has
    an IP range of 192.168.1.1xx (1-25). The wireless has a range of
    192.168.0.xxx

    I have given the wired NIC an IP address of 192.168.1.115, and entered
    the
    default gateway - 192.168.1.1

    Any insight would be appreciated!

    Thanks!
    ansonee, Nov 27, 2007

  2. Hi
    Do you have your own Internet as well?
    If you Do not have your own Internet connection (only the landlord
    connection) the right way to deal with this issue is to buy a Game type
    Wireless card (example,
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16873999102 ), plug it
    to your Router's WAN port and configure your own safe Network behind your
    Router.
    This was written for another purpose but you can infer the idea for you won
    purpose.
    http://www.ezlan.net/shield.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Nov 27, 2007

  3. ansonee

    ansonee Guest

    On Nov 27, 1:20 pm, "Jack \(MVP-Networking\)."
    <> wrote:
    > Hi
    > Do you have your own Internet as well?
    > If you Do not have your own Internet connection (only the landlord
    > connection) the right way to deal with this issue is to buy a Game type
    > Wireless card (example,http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16873999102), plug it
    > to your Router's WAN port and configure your own safe Network behind your
    > Router.
    > This was written for another purpose but you can infer the idea for you won
    > purpose.http://www.ezlan.net/shield.html
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "ansonee" <> wrote in message

    > >I know this may not be the proper forum for this, but I couldn't find
    > > one
    > > that was a better fit.

    > > I have two different networks in my house. My landlord supplies
    > > ewveryone in
    > > the duplex with free wireless Internet access. I have my own "network"
    > > in my
    > > duplex. My desktop PC has both a wireless card and a wired NIC. The
    > > wired NIC
    > > is connected to my Linksys 4 port router. Also attached to this router
    > > are a
    > > couple of external hard drives.

    > > The problem is this: if I have both network cards enabled (wireless
    > > and
    > > wired), I'm able to see the devices connected to MY router, but I'm
    > > unable to
    > > surf the Internet.

    > > How can I have these two networks coexist in peace? The Linksys
    > > network has
    > > an IP range of 192.168.1.1xx (1-25). The wireless has a range of
    > > 192.168.0.xxx

    > > I have given the wired NIC an IP address of 192.168.1.115, and entered
    > > the
    > > default gateway - 192.168.1.1

    > > Any insight would be appreciated!

    > > Thanks!- Hide quoted text -

    Unfortunately I don't have my own Internet...whaich I'm considering
    doing just to save myself the hassle!!

    But I'll definitely look into your suggestion...

    Thanks!!
    ansonee, Nov 27, 2007
  4. ansonee

    Lem Guest

    ansonee wrote:
    > On Nov 27, 1:20 pm, "Jack \(MVP-Networking\)."
    > <> wrote:
    >> Hi
    >> Do you have your own Internet as well?
    >> If you Do not have your own Internet connection (only the landlord
    >> connection) the right way to deal with this issue is to buy a Game type
    >> Wireless card (example,http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16873999102), plug it
    >> to your Router's WAN port and configure your own safe Network behind your
    >> Router.
    >> This was written for another purpose but you can infer the idea for you won
    >> purpose.http://www.ezlan.net/shield.html
    >> Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >>
    >> "ansonee" <> wrote in message

    >>> I know this may not be the proper forum for this, but I couldn't find
    >>> one
    >>> that was a better fit.
    >>> I have two different networks in my house. My landlord supplies
    >>> ewveryone in
    >>> the duplex with free wireless Internet access. I have my own "network"
    >>> in my
    >>> duplex. My desktop PC has both a wireless card and a wired NIC. The
    >>> wired NIC
    >>> is connected to my Linksys 4 port router. Also attached to this router
    >>> are a
    >>> couple of external hard drives.
    >>> The problem is this: if I have both network cards enabled (wireless
    >>> and
    >>> wired), I'm able to see the devices connected to MY router, but I'm
    >>> unable to
    >>> surf the Internet.
    >>> How can I have these two networks coexist in peace? The Linksys
    >>> network has
    >>> an IP range of 192.168.1.1xx (1-25). The wireless has a range of
    >>> 192.168.0.xxx
    >>> I have given the wired NIC an IP address of 192.168.1.115, and entered
    >>> the
    >>> default gateway - 192.168.1.1
    >>> Any insight would be appreciated!
    >>> Thanks!- Hide quoted text -

    > Unfortunately I don't have my own Internet...whaich I'm considering
    > doing just to save myself the hassle!!
    >
    > But I'll definitely look into your suggestion...
    >
    > Thanks!!

    Leave the "default gateway" blank on your wired NIC. As far as I
    understand, your LAN is just your computer and your external hard
    drives. All of these devices (including your computer) should be
    connected to the LAN jacks of the router, and the "Internet" jack of the
    router should be left open.

    The "default gateway" is the address to which packets are sent when they
    are addressed to someplace outside the LAN. If you look at your
    wireless card, you'll see that it also has a default gateway, probably
    192.168.0.1.

    192.168.1.1 is the address of your Linksys router. Normally, if you had
    your router connected to the Internet through its "Internet" port,
    setting default gateway to this IP address would direct packets meant
    for the Internet to the router and thus through its NAT interface to the
    Internet. Because your router isn't connected to the Internet, the
    packets go to the router and die. You'll at least have to reboot after
    deleting the default gateway setting from your wired NIC. If that
    doesn't work, you'll have to delete the entry in the routing table that
    points to 192.168.1.1. For more info, start here:

    Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

    Lem, Nov 27, 2007