    Any advice would be great,
    Regards,
    Alan.

    Alan, Oct 27, 2007

  2. Hi
    You can buy a Wireless card and install it in the wired computer (leave the
    wire part as a spare in case you need to configure the Router).
    See here - Can I use all the computer as Wireless with No Wired computer?
    http://www.ezlan.net/faq#onewire
    Wire or wireless it does not matter as long as they both connected to the
    same Router they are on the same Network and can connect to the Internet as
    well as between them.
    To connect between them you need to configure the Sharing.
    Vista File and Printer Sharing-
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Oct 28, 2007

  3. Alan

    Alan Guest

    Hi Jack,
    Thanks for the response, its much appreciated.
    I've no need to share with the other computer, the reason for wanting to do
    this is that the cable modem is at one end of a through lounge and the the
    computer is at the other. Needless to say the thick white cable isn't
    exactly decorative.
    On the Ezlan link it says:-
    'Therefore it is Highly recommended to connect at least one computer via
    wire to a regular RJ-45 port on the Router so you can configure the Wireless
    Router.'
    How would the wireless card work? The router is already configured correctly
    I would presume as both machine work properly. Would it be just a matter of
    installing the card and removing the cable? If I did need to reconfigure the
    router is it just plug the cable back in and do it? Sorry to ask so many
    questions but this is all new to me.
    One other question if I may. I regularly send and receive AutoCad files from
    work and these can sometimes be very large, up to 85MB. I've gone for the
    fastest broadband connection (20MB) for this reason. Would going wireless
    slow this down significantly? If it does I'll just have convince my wife
    somehow that the thick white cable is in fact decorative!
    Thanks again,
    Alan.

    Alan, Oct 28, 2007
  4. Hi
    Install a wireless card and leave the wired NIC as is (two cards can be
    installed and be on the same subnet, but only one at the time can be used).
    Configure the Metrics to prefer the wire. http://www.ezlan.net/metrics.html
    Unplug the wire and hide it from the wife.
    If you need extensive download, or to reconfigure the Router, make sure that
    the wife is not home ;), take the wire out and plug it to the Router and the
    computer.
    Once you plug the wire the metrics would force the Network to revert to the
    wire.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    >>> Alan.

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Oct 28, 2007
  5. Alan

    Alan Guest

    Thank Jacks, I'll gave it a go I think. The expertise and advice from people
    like yourself I really do appreciate.
    If it doesn't work however, are you OK to testify at the divorce
    proceedings?
    Seriously though, many thanks for your time,
    Regards,
    Alan.

    Alan, Oct 28, 2007
  6. Alan