    the reseller's website. My client doesn't want it that badly. I'd like to
    try and negotiate them down but first I want to make sure I'm not wasting my
    time
    Nik Coughlin, Mar 27, 2009

  2. Nik Coughlin

    Gordon Guest

    On 2009-03-27, Nik Coughlin <> wrote:
    > What do you think a fair price for a two letter .co.nz site is?
    >
    > Advertised prices seem fairly arbitrary... I've seen anything from a few
    > hundred to $10k
    >
    > I'm trying to get hold of one but they want $8,500 for it, price listed on
    > the reseller's website. My client doesn't want it that badly. I'd like to
    > try and negotiate them down but first I want to make sure I'm not wasting my
    > time

    FFS, FFS.

    MFFW. (Market forces FW)

    Shit this has to have something more behind it. Gone on tell us all
    Gordon, Mar 27, 2009

  3. Nik Coughlin

    Your Name Guest

    "Nik Coughlin" <> wrote in message
    > What do you think a fair price for a two letter .co.nz site is?
    >
    > Advertised prices seem fairly arbitrary... I've seen anything from a few
    > hundred to $10k
    >
    > I'm trying to get hold of one but they want $8,500 for it, price listed on
    > the reseller's website. My client doesn't want it that badly. I'd like

    > try and negotiate them down but first I want to make sure I'm not wasting

    my
    > time

    Two letter websites aren't worth any more than one letter website or 99
    letter websites. In reality a website name itself is only actually worth
    around $30 per year since that's all it costs to register one.
    Your Name, Mar 27, 2009
  4. Nik Coughlin

    Jack Spratt Guest

    > What do you think a fair price for a two letter .co.nz site is?

    About the same as a ten letter .co.nz domain name.

    --
    Jack Spratt
    Jack Spratt, Mar 27, 2009
  5. > Two letter websites aren't worth any more than one letter website or 99
    > letter websites. In reality a website name itself is only actually worth
    > around $30 per year since that's all it costs to register one.

    Cost does not equal worth.

    I would think that a more valuable name is a short, 'whole word'
    domain name for a commonly searched term related to whatever you're
    selling.
    Hamish Campbell, Mar 28, 2009
  6. In message <gqp1pr$v86$>, Your Name wrote:

    > And ticket scalpers ...

    Why is there anything wrong with reselling your own property?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 30, 2009
  7. Nik Coughlin

    Your Name Guest

    "geoff" <> wrote in message
    > Your Name wrote:
    > > "Nik Coughlin" <> wrote in message
    > >> What do you think a fair price for a two letter .co.nz site is?
    > >>
    > >> Advertised prices seem fairly arbitrary... I've seen anything from a
    > >> few hundred to $10k
    > >>
    > >> I'm trying to get hold of one but they want $8,500 for it, price
    > >> listed on the reseller's website. My client doesn't want it that
    > >> badly. I'd like to try and negotiate them down but first I want to
    > >> make sure I'm not wasting my time

    > > Two letter websites aren't worth any more than one letter website or
    > > 99 letter websites. In reality a website name itself is only actually
    > > worth around $30 per year since that's all it costs to register one.

    > And cyber-squatters should be banned. They are the type of scum that have
    > stuffed the economies ( scaling that up to include the likes of

    speculative
    > currency traders! )

    And ticket scalpers ... and anyone else trying to make a quick buck, at
    someone else's expense, while doing absoultely nothing to earn it. x-(
    Your Name, Mar 30, 2009
  8. In message <gqplvl$b4v$>, Your Name wrote:

    >> In message <gqp1pr$v86$>, Your Name wrote:
    >>
    >> > And ticket scalpers ...

    >> Why is there anything wrong with reselling your own property?

    > If that's a serious question, then you probably belong in the jail cell
    > next to the scalper scumbags.

    That sounds very Communist.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 30, 2009
  9. Nik Coughlin

    Your Name Guest

    Your Name, Mar 30, 2009
  10. Nik Coughlin

    Your Name Guest

    > In message <gqplvl$b4v$>, Your Name wrote:
    >
    > > "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in

    message

    > >> Why is there anything wrong with reselling your own property?

    > > If that's a serious question, then you probably belong in the jail cell
    > > next to the scalper scumbags.

    > That sounds very Communist.

    "Communist", not really. Try "Common decency" and "Common sense" ... two
    things sadly almost non-existant in today's world (especially on the
    Internet). Unfortunately the world revolves on selfishness, greed and
    stupidity instead. :-(
    Your Name, Mar 30, 2009
  11. In message <gqr99p$9b3$>, Your Name wrote:

    >> In message <gqplvl$b4v$>, Your Name wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in message

    >>> If that's a serious question, then you probably belong in the jail cell
    >>> next to the scalper scumbags.

    >> That sounds very Communist.

    > "Communist", not really. Try "Common decency" and "Common sense" ...

    "Common sense" says, if I buy something, it becomes my property, to do with
    as I like. That's "common sense", right?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 30, 2009
  12. Nik Coughlin

    Your Name Guest

    > In message <gqr99p$9b3$>, Your Name wrote:
    >
    > > "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in

    message

    message

    cell

    > >> That sounds very Communist.

    > > "Communist", not really. Try "Common decency" and "Common sense" ...

    > "Common sense" says, if I buy something, it becomes my property, to do

    with
    > as I like. That's "common sense", right?

    As I said (and you cut out), common sense is almost non-existant on the
    Internet. :-(
    Your Name, Mar 31, 2009
  13. In message <gqrm9b$glt$>, Your Name wrote:

    >> In message <gqr99p$9b3$>, Your Name wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in
    >>> message news:gqpohb$ci0$...

    >>> "Communist", not really. Try "Common decency" and "Common sense" ...

    >> "Common sense" says, if I buy something, it becomes my property, to do
    >> with as I like. That's "common sense", right?

    > ... common sense is almost non-existant on the Internet. :-(

    Is that a "yes" or a "no"?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 31, 2009
  14. In message <gqsd5q$tti$>, Your Name wrote:

    >> In message <gqrm9b$glt$>, Your Name wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in
    >>> message news:gqrcsb$ba1$...

    >>> ... common sense is almost non-existant on the Internet. :-(

    >> Is that a "yes" or a "no"?
    >>

    > ... the answer would be extremely obvious ...

    Only to those who hate the concept of personal property?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 31, 2009
  15. On Tue, 31 Mar 2009 19:42:54 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> wrote:

    >In message <gqsd5q$tti$>, Your Name wrote:

    >>> Is that a "yes" or a "no"?
    >>>

    >> ... the answer would be extremely obvious ...

    >Only to those who hate the concept of personal property?

    It is personal property if you buy the tickets in order to go to the
    event, then through unforeseen circumstances can not go and have to
    sell them. In which case the tickets should be on sold for the face
    value plus handling costs. But the scalper scumbags buy up as many
    tickets as they can get their hands on at the legitimate price,
    preventing legitimate customers from getting them, then re-sell them
    at a huge profit.
    Stephen Worthington, Mar 31, 2009
  16. Nik Coughlin

    Your Name Guest

    > In message <gqrm9b$glt$>, Your Name wrote:
    >
    > > "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in

    message

    > >> "Common sense" says, if I buy something, it becomes my property, to do
    > >> with as I like. That's "common sense", right?

    > > ... common sense is almost non-existant on the Internet. :-(

    > Is that a "yes" or a "no"?

    As I said, common sense and common decency are sadly lacking in this world,
    otherwise the answer would be extremely obvious concerning scalper scumbags
    (and it would already be illegal). :-(
    Your Name, Mar 31, 2009
  17. In message <>, Stephen Worthington
    wrote:

    > It is personal property if you buy the tickets in order to go to the
    > event, then through unforeseen circumstances can not go and have to
    > sell them. In which case the tickets should be on sold for the face
    > value plus handling costs.

    Who gets the right to impose conditions on other people's property?

    > But the scalper scumbags buy up as many tickets as they can get their
    > hands on at the legitimate price, preventing legitimate customers from
    > getting them, then re-sell them at a huge profit.

    Could that be because the ticket price is too low?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 31, 2009
  18. On Tue, 31 Mar 2009 21:20:32 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> wrote:

    >In message <>, Stephen Worthington
    >wrote:
    >
    >> It is personal property if you buy the tickets in order to go to the
    >> event, then through unforeseen circumstances can not go and have to
    >> sell them. In which case the tickets should be on sold for the face
    >> value plus handling costs.

    >Who gets the right to impose conditions on other people's property?

    The law. In quite a few countries, scalping is illegal. In other
    places, the terms of sale for tickets are supposed to prevent
    scalping. That apparently is not very effective.

    >> But the scalper scumbags buy up as many tickets as they can get their
    >> hands on at the legitimate price, preventing legitimate customers from
    >> getting them, then re-sell them at a huge profit.

    >Could that be because the ticket price is too low?

    Not normally. Scalping happens more on high priced events than low
    priced ones.
    Stephen Worthington, Mar 31, 2009
  19. Nik Coughlin

    Bryce Utting Guest

    Stephen Worthington <34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote:
    >>> It is personal property if you buy the tickets in order to go to the
    >>> event, then through unforeseen circumstances can not go and have to
    >>> sell them. In which case the tickets should be on sold for the face
    >>> value plus handling costs.

    >>Who gets the right to impose conditions on other people's property?

    > The law. In quite a few countries, scalping is illegal. In other
    > places, the terms of sale for tickets are supposed to prevent
    > scalping. That apparently is not very effective.

    strictly speaking, terms of sale are common law rather than law, I
    believe. (could well be wrong. you want a lawyer, watch Boston
    Legal.)

    last time I found myself with a surplus ticket, I called Ticketmaster
    back to be sure: yep, no refunds, no matter what the circumstances.

    "So, best to stick it on TradeMe, then?"
    "Yep."

    annoyingly, I *lost* $50 on that one.

    on the plus side, their servers appear (in the last year or so) to
    have stopped falling over with "oh woe IIS can't cope with more than
    17 connections at once woe woe woe!" errors as soon as they release
    tickets for sale, like they used to. I guess that's an improvement.

    butting

    --
    http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~butting
    I reread the documentation to no avail, then scanned the whole
    Bryce Utting, Mar 31, 2009
  20. Nik Coughlin

    Your Name Guest

    "Stephen Worthington" <34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote in
    message news:...
    > On Tue, 31 Mar 2009 19:42:54 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    > <_zealand> wrote:
    >
    > >In message <gqsd5q$tti$>, Your Name wrote:
    > >

    > >> "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in

    message

    jail

    do

    > >> ... the answer would be extremely obvious ...

    > >Only to those who hate the concept of personal property?

    > It is personal property if you buy the tickets in order to go to the
    > event, then through unforeseen circumstances can not go and have to
    > sell them. In which case the tickets should be on sold for the face
    > value plus handling costs. But the scalper scumbags buy up as many
    > tickets as they can get their hands on at the legitimate price,
    > preventing legitimate customers from getting them, then re-sell them
    > at a huge profit.

    You're wasting your time. Like 99% of the planet, Lawrence D'Dipstick
    doesn't have enough braincells to fill an ant's thimble, let alone enough
    deceny or sense to think of anyone but himself. :-(
    Your Name, Mar 31, 2009