    Is there anyone who can explain what I'm doing wrong?
    Thanks for your time
    C.

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2F0aGFs?=, Nov 15, 2004

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Q2F0aGFs?=

    Malke Guest

    Cathal wrote:

    > I am afraid this is going to seem a bit dumb, but I have two
    > computers, both new laptops with wifi, and both using windows XP sp2.
    > They're in neighbouring rooms, and I'd like set up a simple adhoc
    > network or whatever its called. Having spent hours going through the
    > 'Help and Support' entries, I found I was just going round in circles
    > and the compters keep saying no wireless network available.
    > Is there anyone who can explain what I'm doing wrong?
    > Thanks for your time
    > C.

    Do you have a wireless cable/dsl router or a wireless access point? How
    do you normally connect to the Internet?

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers

    Malke, Nov 15, 2004

  3. I connect to the internet using a dsl (broadband) connection. Once again, not
    to simplify things too much but it just plugs into the back of my main
    computer. I think its a LAN Rhine II fast ethernet adapter. I think the big
    problem though, is that my two computers don't seem to be able to detect each
    other.
    Thanks again for your time.
    Cathal

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2F0aGFs?=, Nov 15, 2004
  4. If you'd like to work this through one-on-one, send me an email at
    and I will walk you through the steps.

    Carey

    Carey Holzman, Nov 16, 2004
  5. =?Utf-8?B?Q2F0aGFs?=

    Malke Guest

    Cathal wrote:

    > I connect to the internet using a dsl (broadband) connection. Once
    > again, not to simplify things too much but it just plugs into the back
    > of my main computer. I think its a LAN Rhine II fast ethernet adapter.
    > I think the big problem though, is that my two computers don't seem to
    > be able to detect each other.
    > Thanks again for your time.
    > Cathal
    >
    > "Malke" wrote:
    >
    >> Do you have a wireless cable/dsl router or a wireless access point?
    >> How do you normally connect to the Internet?

    It doesn't sound to me like you have a wireless cable/dsl router or a
    wireless access point. It sounds like you just have a dsl modem and
    your main computer is plugged into that directly. If this is your
    setup, you need to add the equipment I mentioned. Here is a link to
    network setup information by Linksys - you don't have to buy Linksys
    equipment, of course:

    http://www.linksys.com/edu/page4.asp

    After you've gone there, if you have more questions, please post back to
    this thread.

    Malke

    Malke, Nov 16, 2004