two instances of XP

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Jeremy Watts, Apr 24, 2006.

  1. Jeremy Watts

    Jeremy Watts Guest

    Hello,

    I have a siemens fujutsi laptop (Amillo Pro V7010)and a while back it became
    infected seemingly with a virus. I tried to resolve this problem by
    reinstalling the system software.

    However after completing this it for some reason did not wipe over the
    original operating system but rather created a new instance of another.

    So there are now two instances of the same operating system (windows xp) on
    the hard drive - one with the virus the other without.

    Ordinarily this wouldnt be that big a problem, but this has seemed to
    create problems, as when i use the 'clean' instance of xp it wont do
    certain things like go into sleep mode or play music files. this i am
    putting down to there being two instances of the operating system.

    How do I 'wipe' these two operating systems and attempt to re-install XP?

    Thanks
    Jeremy Watts, Apr 24, 2006

  2. Jeremy Watts wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a siemens fujutsi laptop (Amillo Pro V7010)and a while back it became
    > infected seemingly with a virus. I tried to resolve this problem by
    > reinstalling the system software.
    >
    > However after completing this it for some reason did not wipe over the
    > original operating system but rather created a new instance of another.
    >
    > So there are now two instances of the same operating system (windows xp) on
    > the hard drive - one with the virus the other without.
    >
    > Ordinarily this wouldnt be that big a problem, but this has seemed to
    > create problems, as when i use the 'clean' instance of xp it wont do
    > certain things like go into sleep mode or play music files. this i am
    > putting down to there being two instances of the operating system.
    >
    > How do I 'wipe' these two operating systems and attempt to re-install XP?
    >
    > Thanks

    grab anything you want off the clean install, format the drive, and
    reinstall XP.
    David Fairbrother, Apr 24, 2006

  3. Jeremy Watts

    Jeremy Watts Guest

    "David Fairbrother" <> wrote in message
    > Jeremy Watts wrote:
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > I have a siemens fujutsi laptop (Amillo Pro V7010)and a while back it

    became
    > > infected seemingly with a virus. I tried to resolve this problem by
    > > reinstalling the system software.
    > >
    > > However after completing this it for some reason did not wipe over the
    > > original operating system but rather created a new instance of another.
    > >
    > > So there are now two instances of the same operating system (windows xp)

    on
    > > the hard drive - one with the virus the other without.
    > >
    > > Ordinarily this wouldnt be that big a problem, but this has seemed to
    > > create problems, as when i use the 'clean' instance of xp it wont do
    > > certain things like go into sleep mode or play music files. this i am
    > > putting down to there being two instances of the operating system.
    > >
    > > How do I 'wipe' these two operating systems and attempt to re-install

    XP?

    > > Thanks
    > >

    > grab anything you want off the clean install, format the drive, and
    > reinstall XP.

    cheers,

    how do you format the drive?? :)

    jeremy
    Jeremy Watts, Apr 24, 2006
  4. Jeremy Watts

    JANA Guest

    You must do a complete cleanup, and re-installation to fix it properly.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    JANA, Apr 25, 2006
  5. Jeremy Watts wrote:
    > "David Fairbrother" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Jeremy Watts wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hello,
    >>>
    >>>I have a siemens fujutsi laptop (Amillo Pro V7010)and a while back it

    > became
    >
    >>>infected seemingly with a virus. I tried to resolve this problem by
    >>>reinstalling the system software.
    >>>
    >>>However after completing this it for some reason did not wipe over the
    >>>original operating system but rather created a new instance of another.
    >>>
    >>>So there are now two instances of the same operating system (windows xp)

    > on
    >
    >>>the hard drive - one with the virus the other without.
    >>>
    >>>Ordinarily this wouldnt be that big a problem, but this has seemed to
    >>>create problems, as when i use the 'clean' instance of xp it wont do
    >>>certain things like go into sleep mode or play music files. this i am
    >>>putting down to there being two instances of the operating system.
    >>>
    >>>How do I 'wipe' these two operating systems and attempt to re-install

    > XP?
    >
    >>>Thanks
    >>>

    >>grab anything you want off the clean install, format the drive, and
    >>reinstall XP.

    > cheers,
    >
    > how do you format the drive?? :)
    >
    > jeremy

    http://freepctech.com/pc/001/002.shtml looks like a good guide, if a
    little out of date (references to Windows 95, but "format" hasnt changed
    much over the years)

    you'll need to create an MS-DOS startup disk, to do this under XP:
    insert a floppy disk into the drive
    right-click on your floppy drive under Windows Explorer and click Format
    check "create an MS-DOS startup disk"

    just a note - when you format your hard drive, you'll lose everything
    that's on the drive (that means both OS'es), so grab anything you do
    want onto removable media before you format.
    SimMastaCopter, Apr 25, 2006

    David Fairbrother, Apr 25, 2006
  7. "David Fairbrother" <> wrote in message

    > you'll need to create an MS-DOS startup disk, to do this under XP:
    > insert a floppy disk into the drive
    > right-click on your floppy drive under Windows Explorer and click Format
    > check "create an MS-DOS startup disk"
    >
    > just a note - when you format your hard drive, you'll lose everything
    > that's on the drive (that means both OS'es), so grab anything you do
    > want onto removable media before you format.

    Laptop - floppy disc drive?
    Boscoe Pertwee, Apr 25, 2006
  8. Boscoe Pertwee wrote:
    > "David Fairbrother" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>you'll need to create an MS-DOS startup disk, to do this under XP:
    >>insert a floppy disk into the drive
    >>right-click on your floppy drive under Windows Explorer and click Format
    >>check "create an MS-DOS startup disk"
    >>
    >>just a note - when you format your hard drive, you'll lose everything
    >>that's on the drive (that means both OS'es), so grab anything you do
    >>want onto removable media before you format.

    > Laptop - floppy disc drive?

    ouch.
    if the BIOS supports it you can use a boot CD.
    David Fairbrother, Apr 27, 2006