Two instances of Windows XP

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Ozemail News, Mar 4, 2007.

  1. Ozemail News

    Ozemail News Guest

    I am having a problem on the start up of my Windows XP Professional and I
    would appreciate any help from the experts out there, please.
    With a very slow performance in my computer, I was recently notified, by my
    Internet Provider, that I was sending heaps of SPAMs and I was blocked
    because of that illegal practice. Since I did not know anything about it, I
    assumed that some very good hacker bypassed my PCCillin, firewall,
    "anti-everything" programmes, etc, and took control of my machine.
    Congratulations! I tried many procedures and scans, including Sysclean,
    recommended by Trendmicro, but nothing worked. In desperation, I
    re-formatted my C Partition and re-installed Windows XP Professional, not
    without a big fight, because it would not update without SP2, neither the
    PCCilin would install too, and I could not download from the Internet
    without being attacked by viruses that would not allow me to download
    anything. A Catch 22 situation.
    Once overcome those problems, I found 2 instances of Windows XP in the
    machine, a normal one in Partition C and another one in Partition D, and I
    didn't know why. I then tried to uninstall the latter, but it would not do
    it and finally I deleted it. Now, when I start the computer, it keeps
    looking for the second instance of Windows on Partition D and only when I
    press Enter it continues the Windows loading. Please, does anyone know how,
    and where in Registry, I could fix this problem? I would be much
    appreciated.

    Ozemail News, Mar 4, 2007

  2. Ozemail News

    Pen Guest

    Ozemail News wrote:
    > I am having a problem on the start up of my Windows XP Professional and I
    > would appreciate any help from the experts out there, please.
    > With a very slow performance in my computer, I was recently notified, by my
    > Internet Provider, that I was sending heaps of SPAMs and I was blocked
    > because of that illegal practice. Since I did not know anything about it, I
    > assumed that some very good hacker bypassed my PCCillin, firewall,
    > "anti-everything" programmes, etc, and took control of my machine.
    > Congratulations! I tried many procedures and scans, including Sysclean,
    > recommended by Trendmicro, but nothing worked. In desperation, I
    > re-formatted my C Partition and re-installed Windows XP Professional, not
    > without a big fight, because it would not update without SP2, neither the
    > PCCilin would install too, and I could not download from the Internet
    > without being attacked by viruses that would not allow me to download
    > anything. A Catch 22 situation.
    > Once overcome those problems, I found 2 instances of Windows XP in the
    > machine, a normal one in Partition C and another one in Partition D, and I
    > didn't know why. I then tried to uninstall the latter, but it would not do
    > it and finally I deleted it. Now, when I start the computer, it keeps
    > looking for the second instance of Windows on Partition D and only when I
    > press Enter it continues the Windows loading. Please, does anyone know how,
    > and where in Registry, I could fix this problem? I would be much
    > appreciated.

    Edit the boot.ini file found in c:\ . It should look similar to this.
    Edit yours to remove the 2nd instance.

    [boot loader]
    timeout=10
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN
    /FASTDETECT

    Pen, Mar 4, 2007

  3. Ozemail News

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    Ozemail News wrote:
    > I am having a problem on the start up of my Windows XP Professional and I
    > would appreciate any help from the experts out there, please.
    > With a very slow performance in my computer, I was recently notified, by my
    > Internet Provider, that I was sending heaps of SPAMs and I was blocked
    > because of that illegal practice. Since I did not know anything about it, I
    > assumed that some very good hacker bypassed my PCCillin, firewall,
    > "anti-everything" programmes, etc, and took control of my machine.
    > Congratulations! I tried many procedures and scans, including Sysclean,
    > recommended by Trendmicro, but nothing worked. In desperation, I
    > re-formatted my C Partition and re-installed Windows XP Professional, not
    > without a big fight, because it would not update without SP2, neither the
    > PCCilin would install too, and I could not download from the Internet
    > without being attacked by viruses that would not allow me to download
    > anything. A Catch 22 situation.
    > Once overcome those problems, I found 2 instances of Windows XP in the
    > machine, a normal one in Partition C and another one in Partition D, and I
    > didn't know why. I then tried to uninstall the latter, but it would not do
    > it and finally I deleted it. Now, when I start the computer, it keeps
    > looking for the second instance of Windows on Partition D and only when I
    > press Enter it continues the Windows loading. Please, does anyone know how,
    > and where in Registry, I could fix this problem? I would be much
    > appreciated.

    Most likely, the boot.ini file has two entries in it. The boot.ini file
    is a hidden and protected file that's located in the c:\ or d:\ -- the
    root directory. You un-hide the file, un-protect the file and edit it
    with notepad and delete the bad entry.

    <http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=boot.ini+file+on+windows+xp&btnG=Google+Search>

    Mr. Arnold, Mar 4, 2007