Two instances of FF in Add or Remove List?

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Jackson, Mar 21, 2007.

  1. Jackson

    Jackson Guest

    Browsing thru the "Add or remove software" list I find:

    Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.1 @ 22 MBs+ and
    Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.3 @ 22 Mbs+

    FWIW Agent.exe had been active. I believe this is the program that
    automatically searches and updates the programs you have installed.
    I'm not sure how I got that program - is it a MS update?

    I usually deny it access to the net but it must have sneaked by. I do
    remember being mildly surprised when FF updated itself when I wanted
    to open it this AM.

    Anyway, my question. Can I uninstall 2.0.0.1 without screwing up
    2.0.0.3? Should I just leave them both on, or maybe remove them both
    and download a fresh 2.0.0.whatever.

    Thanks for your input.

    Jackson, Mar 21, 2007

  2. Jackson

    Guest

    On Mar 21, 3:10 pm, Jackson <> wrote:
    > Browsing thru the "Add or remove software" list I find:
    >
    > Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.1 @ 22 MBs+ and
    > Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.3 @ 22 Mbs+
    >
    > FWIW Agent.exe had been active. I believe this is the program that
    > automatically searches and updates the programs you have installed.
    > I'm not sure how I got that program - is it a MS update?
    >
    > I usually deny it access to the net but it must have sneaked by. I do
    > remember being mildly surprised when FF updated itself when I wanted
    > to open it this AM.
    >
    > Anyway, my question. Can I uninstall 2.0.0.1 without screwing up
    > 2.0.0.3? Should I just leave them both on, or maybe remove them both
    > and download a fresh 2.0.0.whatever.
    >
    > Thanks for your input.

    First, FF does its own updating. If you let it update itself
    automatically, then for some strange quorky reason, you have more than
    one entry in the add/remove programs. If you uninstall, then you'll
    screw up the whole thing. For me, when an update is available, I
    download the entire new program, then install that. That way, I don't
    have this type of problem. So, if you want, you can uninstall both
    entries and download the entire program, and go from there. I would
    also change the automatically update. I would only have it so it
    would notify you when there is an update available. You can get the
    updates from here: ftp://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases

    You can change the update notice in Tools, Options, Advanced, and the
    Update tab

    As for Agent.exe. This is not an update program. It gives details
    about your system.

    , Mar 22, 2007

  3. Jackson

    Jackson Guest

    On 21 Mar 2007 20:57:33 -0700,
    wrote:

    >On Mar 21, 3:10 pm, Jackson <> wrote:
    >> Browsing thru the "Add or remove software" list I find:
    >>
    >> Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.1 @ 22 MBs+ and
    >> Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.3 @ 22 Mbs+
    >>
    >> FWIW Agent.exe had been active. I believe this is the program that
    >> automatically searches and updates the programs you have installed.
    >> I'm not sure how I got that program - is it a MS update?
    >>
    >> I usually deny it access to the net but it must have sneaked by. I do
    >> remember being mildly surprised when FF updated itself when I wanted
    >> to open it this AM.
    >>
    >> Anyway, my question. Can I uninstall 2.0.0.1 without screwing up
    >> 2.0.0.3? Should I just leave them both on, or maybe remove them both
    >> and download a fresh 2.0.0.whatever.
    >>
    >> Thanks for your input.

    >First, FF does its own updating. If you let it update itself
    >automatically, then for some strange quorky reason, you have more than
    >one entry in the add/remove programs. If you uninstall, then you'll
    >screw up the whole thing. For me, when an update is available, I
    >download the entire new program, then install that. That way, I don't
    >have this type of problem. So, if you want, you can uninstall both
    >entries and download the entire program, and go from there. I would
    >also change the automatically update. I would only have it so it
    >would notify you when there is an update available. You can get the
    >updates from here: ftp://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases
    >
    >You can change the update notice in Tools, Options, Advanced, and the
    >Update tab
    >
    >As for Agent.exe. This is not an update program. It gives details
    >about your system.

    Thanks for the good info, Peter. I'll uninstall the two and reinstall
    the latest.

    Jackson, Mar 22, 2007
  4. Jackson

    TheCroW Guest

    > Browsing thru the "Add or remove software" list I find:
    >
    > Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.1 @ 22 MBs+ and
    > Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.3 @ 22 Mbs+
    >
    > FWIW Agent.exe had been active. I believe this is the program that
    > automatically searches and updates the programs you have installed.
    > I'm not sure how I got that program - is it a MS update?
    >
    > I usually deny it access to the net but it must have sneaked by. I do
    > remember being mildly surprised when FF updated itself when I wanted
    > to open it this AM.
    >
    > Anyway, my question. Can I uninstall 2.0.0.1 without screwing up
    > 2.0.0.3? Should I just leave them both on, or maybe remove them both
    > and download a fresh 2.0.0.whatever.
    >
    > Thanks for your input.

    Seems to be a bug that shows seldom ... I had exactly the same problem: FF
    did it's own update but after that somehow I had 2 versions of FF. Got
    notices that FF wanted to start FF (which ofcourse is strange) and also FF
    was slow as hell. I uninstalled the oldest one and then everything was
    allright again.

    Menno
    The Netherlands

    TheCroW, Mar 22, 2007