Two independent T1s on a 2610?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Chris, Jun 13, 2006.

  1. Chris

    Chris Guest

    Hi folks,

    I have inherited a network with two full T1s -- one to our upstream
    ISP, and another one to a remote company office. Both are connected
    through 2516 routers, which are getting a little old.

    I have a spare 2610 lying around, with a couple of T1 CSU/DSU WICs. Is
    there anything to stop me replacing the pair of 2516s with a single
    2610? I guess my concerns are CPU utilization (though I can't imagine
    that a pair of T1s could max out a 2610) and the fact that the 2610
    only has one Ethernet NIC -- even though it's physically connecting two
    separate remote networks to my LAN.

    One thing worth noting is that the 2610s are running IOS 11 releases,
    and in order to go to IOS 12 I'd have to upgrade the amount of RAM
    installed -- something I would like to do anyway.

    Thanks!

    Chris

    Chris, Jun 13, 2006

  2. "Chris" <> writes:
    >I have inherited a network with two full T1s -- one to our upstream
    >ISP, and another one to a remote company office. Both are connected
    >through 2516 routers, which are getting a little old.

    >I have a spare 2610 lying around, with a couple of T1 CSU/DSU WICs. Is
    >there anything to stop me replacing the pair of 2516s with a single
    >2610? I guess my concerns are CPU utilization (though I can't imagine
    >that a pair of T1s could max out a 2610) and the fact that the 2610
    >only has one Ethernet NIC -- even though it's physically connecting two
    >separate remote networks to my LAN.

    It sounds like you have one T1 on the outside of your firewall, and
    one on the inside?

    You aren't going to be able to seperate out the traffic all that well
    with just the one ethernet. Even if you had two, you'd have to setup
    some elaborate policy routing to keep the traffic seperate. If the
    traffic seperation is an issue, then you shouldn't swap out both. If
    it isn't, it still depends alot on how your internal network is handled.

    The 2600 isn't all that big of a router. It can handle 2 T1s
    comfortably. I usually tell my sales guys that it can do 3-4 T1s if
    that is all it is doing, and that would max it out of capacity (even
    if you put 8 T1s into the box, the max you can do physically, it
    certainly won't be able to handle that kind of load), but anybody
    doing that probably wants to look to a bigger router as it is.

    Doug McIntyre, Jun 13, 2006

  3. Chris

    Chris Guest

    Doug McIntyre wrote:
    > It sounds like you have one T1 on the outside of your firewall, and
    > one on the inside?

    That's correct -- one is our link to the internet, the other is just a
    remote office.

    > You aren't going to be able to seperate out the traffic all that well
    > with just the one ethernet. Even if you had two, you'd have to setup
    > some elaborate policy routing to keep the traffic seperate. If the
    > traffic seperation is an issue, then you shouldn't swap out both. If
    > it isn't, it still depends alot on how your internal network is handled.

    Traffic separation isn't *really* a problem; the remote office actually
    goes through the main office (via their T1 to us) and then out to the
    internet (via our T1 to our ISP). But, still, traffic separation would
    still be a nice thing to have. I just can't remember if there are
    Ethernet or FastEthernet WICs for 2610s or not, and whether or not I'd
    run out of slots after installing the dual single-T1 WICs. Of course, I
    might be able to install a single dual-T1 WIC (I think they make
    those?)

    > The 2600 isn't all that big of a router. It can handle 2 T1s
    > comfortably. I usually tell my sales guys that it can do 3-4 T1s if
    > that is all it is doing, and that would max it out of capacity (even
    > if you put 8 T1s into the box, the max you can do physically, it
    > certainly won't be able to handle that kind of load), but anybody
    > doing that probably wants to look to a bigger router as it is.

    Okay great, thanks. I am actually looking at collecting NetFlow data
    off our T1s, but the 2516s I'm using don't support it because their IOS
    is too old (and too little RAM for a new version). The other reason I
    would like to consolidate the two 2516s into one 2610 is to save money
    -- the 2516s aren't eligible for SMARTnet, and obviously maintaining
    two 2610s is more expensive than maintaining one.

    Chris, Jun 14, 2006
  4. Chris

    Chris Guest

    Doug McIntyre wrote:
    > It sounds like you have one T1 on the outside of your firewall, and
    > one on the inside?
    >
    > You aren't going to be able to seperate out the traffic all that well
    > with just the one ethernet. Even if you had two, you'd have to setup
    > some elaborate policy routing to keep the traffic seperate. If the
    > traffic seperation is an issue, then you shouldn't swap out both. If
    > it isn't, it still depends alot on how your internal network is handled.

    I should mention that the current setup has the remote office setup as
    a network bridge -- so at the moment, there is exactly no traffic
    separation. :)

    I would like to change that, though...

    Chris, Jun 14, 2006