    Any pointers to get these two "accounts" functioning would be
    appreciated.

    Gwen

    Gwen Morse, Jun 4, 2005

  2. Gwen Morse

    Doug G Guest

    Gwen Morse wrote:
    > I have two IMAP accounts on the same server (UW-IMAP under Cygwin,
    > Windows 2000). Pine handles this just fine.
    >
    > I'm having trouble configuring Thunderbird to work with my setup. The
    > main problem is that the "server name" and the "user name" for the two
    > accounts are the same. What differentiates the two accounts is the
    > location of the folders. TB gives me an error message that an account
    > already exists with this name.
    >
    > What I need to be able to do is enter two accounts with the same
    > server and user name, and different locations of the mail folders.
    >
    > Any pointers to get these two "accounts" functioning would be
    > appreciated.
    >
    > Gwen

    As far as I know, a Thunderbird profile won't let you have two mail
    accounts that use the same e-mail address.

    Doug G, Jun 4, 2005

  3. Gwen Morse

    Moz Champion Guest

    Doug G wrote:
    > Gwen Morse wrote:
    >
    >> I have two IMAP accounts on the same server (UW-IMAP under Cygwin,
    >> Windows 2000). Pine handles this just fine.
    >>
    >> I'm having trouble configuring Thunderbird to work with my setup. The
    >> main problem is that the "server name" and the "user name" for the two
    >> accounts are the same. What differentiates the two accounts is the
    >> location of the folders. TB gives me an error message that an account
    >> already exists with this name.
    >>
    >> What I need to be able to do is enter two accounts with the same
    >> server and user name, and different locations of the mail folders.
    >>
    >> Any pointers to get these two "accounts" functioning would be
    >> appreciated.
    >>
    >> Gwen
    >>

    > As far as I know, a Thunderbird profile won't let you have two mail
    > accounts that use the same e-mail address.

    How can they be different accounts, yet have the same user name?

    Moz Champion, Jun 7, 2005
  4. Gwen Morse

    aequalsb

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    i believe this is a case of mistaking an email ADDRESS with an ACCOUNT on a server. it's easy to make the mistake of equating the 2 since most people almost always have 1 email address related directly to 1 account on a server.

    think of this... you have PO Box 123 at your local post office. if someone sends a letter addressed to "Your Name @ PO Box 123" and someone else sends a letter to "To Whom it May Concern @ PO Box 123", and assuming the City, State, and Zip are the same and correct, both letters will arrive at your PO Box 123 - where you will access them when you come by later with your mailbox key (password).

    it is a little different on a server, but the idea is: when an email, properly addressed to a real recipient on a server, arrives at that server, the server knows by configuration 'what mailbox' or 'where to store it physically' on the server.

    now... one server may house many websites (a.k.a. the destinations of domain names) but it almost always has only one SendMail installation. this means, each and every username (left of the @) must be UNIQUE. normally, it's not too much of a problem but let's say Client One has domain_name1.com and Client Two has domain_name2.com and they BOTH want info@ with their respective domain names (info@domain_name1.com & info@domain_name2.com).

    well, that poses a bit of a problem. but the solution is already available. you can configure a virtual map (<- skipping that tech subject) that tells the server in which mailbox to put any email. this allows more than 1 "info" account on a each server.

    next... here we get nearer the center of the problem... maybe Johnny has 2 domain names hosted on a server with johnnydomain1.com and johnnydomain2.com. and he has and . even though the ADDRESSES are different, the results will be that email sent to either of those addresses will end up in THE "info" box on the server. ok, so no big deal yet, Johnny can get to that box with his credentials (un, pw) and get any email sent to him via EITHER address.

    but... let's say Johnny wants to operate as two distinct identities behind the "masks" of each respective "info@". maybe he's a sales rep at one site and a technician at the other and he wants to "maintain appearances". well, all he has to do is configure 2 email accounts in Thunderbird by entering different names, company names, and different email addresses that he WANTS people to SEE "over top of" his credentials required to send/receive mail - a completely legitimate and common practice.

    OR, in Gwen's case, she wants to store the emails in separate local folders. it all adds up to the same. 1 account but 2 or more "wrappers"...

    BUT, BUT, BUT... Thunderbird simply will not let that happen. no 2 accounts can have the same username AND the same servername no matter what they're wrapped in.

    my suggestion? get the IP address for the server (if you don't know it you'll need to contact your server admin). then use your domain name (example.com) for 1 account, and the IP address (###.##.###.##) for the other, that way, Thunderbird does not match the servers, and fails the "same username AND servername" error. i tried this on Thunderbird 1.0.6 for Windows XP Home and it worked without conflict...

    aequalsb, Aug 22, 2006