Two I-Pods, Once PC - how's that work?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Toolman Tim, Jan 9, 2006.

  1. Toolman Tim

    Toolman Tim Guest

    I don't use MP3 players, least of which would be I-Pods even if I wanted a
    player. That being said, my boss asked me a couple questions I obviously
    couldn't answer <G>

    He has one laptop at home, separate Windows user accounts for him and his
    wife. He has an I-Pod, and has it set up on her login. She is now getting
    her own I-Pod.

    First, he wants to know if, by using separate Windows login accounts, they
    can run I-Tunes separately and manage their stuff without conflicting with
    the other's stuff. If he deletes a file from his collection, he doesn't want
    to delete it from hers - that kind of thing.

    Then he wants to know if he can move his current music in I-Tunes which is
    in her Windows user account to his. (He realizes he should have set up his
    I-Pod in his own Windows user login in the first place and wants to fix that
    mistake.)

    Toolman Tim, Jan 9, 2006

  2. Toolman Tim

    Mitch Guest

    In article <tECwf.494$>, Toolman Tim
    <> wrote:

    > First, he wants to know if, by using separate Windows login accounts, they
    > can run I-Tunes separately and manage their stuff without conflicting with
    > the other's stuff. If he deletes a file from his collection, he doesn't want
    > to delete it from hers - that kind of thing.

    Yes, iTunes is made to do just that, in the way that you are saying.
    There are settings within iTunes that allow the two computers to share
    playlists and listen to the music from the other machine, as that is
    very likely in this setting.

    > Then he wants to know if he can move his current music in I-Tunes which is
    > in her Windows user account to his. (He realizes he should have set up his
    > I-Pod in his own Windows user login in the first place and wants to fix that
    > mistake.)

    No problem -- the only hiccup is that the iPod itself isn't supposed to
    be the transfer device. Move the music files over the network, all is
    good.

    Anecdotally, I normally use a laptop, and there is just too much to
    store it here. So all of my music is on a house desktop unit with lots
    of storage, and my laptop has a pointer (shortcut-style) to the whole
    library.
    Additionally, the other users on that desktop can read the library, but
    not delete from it, and their playlists don't affect mine.

    Mitch, Jan 10, 2006