Two H D on windows XP Advice

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by The Mad Monk, Sep 24, 2004.

  1. The Mad Monk

    The Mad Monk Guest

    Its me again, the windows never goes wrong person
    this time trying to make it go wrong.

    I have a spare HD with windows 98 SE on in a mobile rack
    that I sometimes use when I slide my main OS out of the computer
    with windows XP on and use Win SE for a change, this is also in a
    mobile rack, both HD are partitioned C and D now for the question
    1/ What would happen if I connected the spare HD to the slave with
    the OS ie windows 98 still on it, would I be able to use both
    systems somehow or would it be a mighty cock up with the computer
    trying to have two C's and two d's etc and nothing working.

    The same question again but with the spare H D formatted,
    would I now get E and F with all OK and be able use the spare HD
    that's on the slave to back up my computer, bearing in mind that I can
    remove either HD at anytime as I have two mobile rack housings built
    into the
    computer, I suspect I will need software for this but not sure.

    Richard
    The mad monk from UK

    The Mad Monk, Sep 24, 2004

  2. The Mad Monk

    L;ozT Guest

    .....provided you set the BIOS to recognise that it has a 2nd hard disk and
    where to find it, and you set the jumpers on the 2nd disk correctly
    (depending on whether you install it as a primary slave, secondary master,
    or secondary slave), you should have no problem using the 2nd disk as
    additional storage. You would not have to re-assign drive letters as WinXP
    should do this automatically for you. Or if it didn't, you could right
    click 'My Computer' on the desktop, choose 'Manage', then select 'Disk
    Management', and from there you can assign drive letters manually, format
    disks etc. This would work in a similar way if you formatted the drive
    first (though I would attach it first, then use XP to format it.). You
    shouldn't need additional software for this.

    As I say, this would allow the 2nd disk as extra storage, but you would not
    be able to boot to Win98 unless you play around with BIOS settings (changing
    active partition/boot partition etc....) or Switch cables after shutting
    down XP and before attempting to start 98, or aquire some kind of 3rd party
    Boot loader which would allow a choice of either at boot - though to be
    honest, I know very little about this 3rd option having never really looked
    into it. Maybe someone else does?!?.....

    Cheers

    L;ozT ........... and very, very tired!

    L;ozT, Sep 24, 2004

  3. The Mad Monk

    Anan Amis Guest

    > Its me again, the windows never goes wrong person
    > this time trying to make it go wrong.
    >
    > I have a spare HD with windows 98 SE on in a mobile rack
    > that I sometimes use when I slide my main OS out of the computer
    > with windows XP on and use Win SE for a change, this is also in a
    > mobile rack, both HD are partitioned C and D now for the question
    > 1/ What would happen if I connected the spare HD to the slave with
    > the OS ie windows 98 still on it, would I be able to use both
    > systems somehow or would it be a mighty cock up with the computer
    > trying to have two C's and two d's etc and nothing working.
    >
    > The same question again but with the spare H D formatted,
    > would I now get E and F with all OK and be able use the spare HD
    > that's on the slave to back up my computer, bearing in mind that I can
    > remove either HD at anytime as I have two mobile rack housings built
    > into the
    > computer, I suspect I will need software for this but not sure.
    >
    > Richard
    > The mad monk from UK

    I don't know about your BIOS, but I will tell you about mine, maybe your
    BIOS can do the same.
    I have a setup very much like yours. I have two mobile racks with a hard
    drive in each. One is jumpered as primary master, the other is jumpered as
    primary slave. The master has XP and the slave has 98se. To boot into 98se
    I go into the bios and change the boot priority from hdd 0 to hdd 1. To use
    xp same thing, go into bios, change boot priority from hdd 1 to dhh 0. In
    either OS I can read the files and other data on both drives, and run non
    registered apps.

    I don't know about all system boards, but I have had 5 now with this boot
    priority option in the BIOS, one as old as a K6 board. This is a temporary
    setup with me as I am using it to gain experience (play) with XP while still
    being able to use 98se to do my work. I have used this method dual boot to
    Linux too.

    Anan Amis, Sep 26, 2004