    look at the final print.

    I will never go back to using a one-eyed viewfinder!

    NM

    ~~NoMad~~, Nov 6, 2006

  2. ~~NoMad~~

    Pat Guest

    ~~NoMad~~ wrote:
    > For years I always took pictures using one eye looking through a viewfinder.
    > Now I have a Panasonic TZ1 that has no viewfinder and I find that I take
    > better pictures using the display screen. I am able to evaluate the scene on
    > the screen more objectively using both eyes. I look at it more like I would
    > look at the final print.
    >
    > I will never go back to using a one-eyed viewfinder!
    >
    > NM

    The trade-off you make is stability. Hold a camera next to you and
    look through a viewfinder and you are pretty stable. Hold it out 2
    feet to see the viewfinder and you have introduced lots of shake..

    It's okay for some stuff, esp. small prints and snapshots. But you
    wouldn't want to be holding a 300 mm lens like that.

    Pat, Nov 6, 2006

  3. ~~NoMad~~

    ~~NoMad~~ Guest

    "Pat" <> wrote in message

    > ~~NoMad~~ wrote:
    >> For years I always took pictures using one eye looking through a
    >> viewfinder.
    >> Now I have a Panasonic TZ1 that has no viewfinder and I find that I take
    >> better pictures using the display screen. I am able to evaluate the scene
    >> on
    >> the screen more objectively using both eyes. I look at it more like I
    >> would
    >> look at the final print.
    >>
    >> I will never go back to using a one-eyed viewfinder!
    >>
    >> NM

    > The trade-off you make is stability. Hold a camera next to you and
    > look through a viewfinder and you are pretty stable. Hold it out 2
    > feet to see the viewfinder and you have introduced lots of shake..
    >
    > It's okay for some stuff, esp. small prints and snapshots. But you
    > wouldn't want to be holding a 300 mm lens like that.

    My Panasonic TZ1 has the equivalent of a 420mm lens with image stabilization
    and works very well held at an arms length.

    No blurry pictures and Good Composition to boot!

    NM

    ~~NoMad~~, Nov 6, 2006
  4. ~~NoMad~~

    RPH Guest

    "~~NoMad~~" <> wrote in

    > "Pat" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> ~~NoMad~~ wrote:
    >>> For years I always took pictures using one eye looking through a
    >>> viewfinder.
    >>> Now I have a Panasonic TZ1 that has no viewfinder and I find that I
    >>> take better pictures using the display screen. I am able to evaluate
    >>> the scene on
    >>> the screen more objectively using both eyes. I look at it more like
    >>> I would
    >>> look at the final print.
    >>>
    >>> I will never go back to using a one-eyed viewfinder!
    >>>
    >>> NM

    >> The trade-off you make is stability. Hold a camera next to you and
    >> look through a viewfinder and you are pretty stable. Hold it out 2
    >> feet to see the viewfinder and you have introduced lots of shake..
    >>
    >> It's okay for some stuff, esp. small prints and snapshots. But you
    >> wouldn't want to be holding a 300 mm lens like that.
    >>

    > My Panasonic TZ1 has the equivalent of a 420mm lens with image
    > stabilization and works very well held at an arms length.
    >
    > No blurry pictures and Good Composition to boot!

    Conversely, I find I take much _worse_ pictures when using the display
    rather than the viewfinder. YMMV.

    --
    Rich Hanson
    Music: http://www.richardhanson.me.uk/ http://www.myspace.com/richhanson

    RPH, Nov 6, 2006
  5. On Mon, 6 Nov 2006 05:09:53 -0800, ~~NoMad~~ <> wrote:

    > "Pat" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> ~~NoMad~~ wrote:
    >>> For years I always took pictures using one eye looking through a
    >>> viewfinder.
    >>> Now I have a Panasonic TZ1 that has no viewfinder and I find that I take
    >>> better pictures using the display screen. I am able to evaluate the scene
    >>> on
    >>> the screen more objectively using both eyes. I look at it more like I
    >>> would
    >>> look at the final print.
    >>>
    >>> I will never go back to using a one-eyed viewfinder!
    >>>
    >>> NM

    >> The trade-off you make is stability. Hold a camera next to you and
    >> look through a viewfinder and you are pretty stable. Hold it out 2
    >> feet to see the viewfinder and you have introduced lots of shake..
    >>
    >> It's okay for some stuff, esp. small prints and snapshots. But you
    >> wouldn't want to be holding a 300 mm lens like that.
    >>

    > My Panasonic TZ1 has the equivalent of a 420mm lens with image stabilization
    > and works very well held at an arms length.
    >
    > No blurry pictures and Good Composition to boot!

    Now try it in bright back-lit sunlight, when that LCD is washed out from
    the glare.

    I sometimes use the LCD for framing, especially if I want to take shots
    at odd angles where eye-to-viewfinder is inconvenient, but mostly I use
    the (electronic) finder on my FZ5. Two reasons:
    1. As mentioned, stability. The image stabilizer is nice, but it works
    best if you keep the camera fairly steady to begin with
    2. Fewer visual distractions. I see what the camera is seeing, and
    nothing else, especially if I close the eye that isn't being used to
    look through the finder.

    -dms

    Daniel Silevitch, Nov 6, 2006
  6. ~~NoMad~~

    ~~NoMad~~ Guest

    "~~NoMad~~" <> wrote in message
    > For years I always took pictures using one eye looking through a
    > viewfinder. Now I have a Panasonic TZ1 that has no viewfinder and I find
    > that I take better pictures using the display screen. I am able to
    > evaluate the scene on the screen more objectively using both eyes. I look
    > at it more like I would look at the final print.
    >
    > I will never go back to using a one-eyed viewfinder!
    >
    > NM

    On second thought: I wonder if it has to do with a
    left-brained/right-brained thing?

    Using both eyes to evaluate an image may be more effective than just using
    one or the other.

    How well can you compose an image using just your Left Eye? Or Right Eye?

    NM

    ~~NoMad~~, Nov 6, 2006
  7. ~~NoMad~~

    Brillo Guest

    ~~NoMad~~ wrote:
    > For years I always took pictures using one eye looking through a viewfinder.
    > Now I have a Panasonic TZ1 that has no viewfinder and I find that I take
    > better pictures using the display screen. I am able to evaluate the scene on
    > the screen more objectively using both eyes. I look at it more like I would
    > look at the final print.
    >
    > I will never go back to using a one-eyed viewfinder!
    >
    > NM

    I have a Nikon S2 that has no conventional viewfinder and I find it
    useless in bright sunshine. Just have to guess which way the camera is
    pointing. Also I find it most uncomfortable holding it out at arms
    length.
    Bright day -- No viewfinder.
    Dull day --- Camera shake.
    Must say though it is a handy camera just to be able to carry it in
    your shirt pocket ready for the unexpected shot. The pictures usually
    turn out Ok.

    Brillo, Nov 6, 2006
  8. ~~NoMad~~

    Bill Funk Guest

    <> wrote:

    >"Pat" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> ~~NoMad~~ wrote:
    >>> For years I always took pictures using one eye looking through a
    >>> viewfinder.
    >>> Now I have a Panasonic TZ1 that has no viewfinder and I find that I take
    >>> better pictures using the display screen. I am able to evaluate the scene
    >>> on
    >>> the screen more objectively using both eyes. I look at it more like I
    >>> would
    >>> look at the final print.
    >>>
    >>> I will never go back to using a one-eyed viewfinder!
    >>>
    >>> NM

    >> The trade-off you make is stability. Hold a camera next to you and
    >> look through a viewfinder and you are pretty stable. Hold it out 2
    >> feet to see the viewfinder and you have introduced lots of shake..
    >>
    >> It's okay for some stuff, esp. small prints and snapshots. But you
    >> wouldn't want to be holding a 300 mm lens like that.
    >>

    >My Panasonic TZ1 has the equivalent of a 420mm lens with image stabilization
    >and works very well held at an arms length.

    Shouldn't that be a 350mm equilivent?
    http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wc...rogram=11002&cachePartner=7000000000000005702
    or:
    http://tinyurl.com/gv37f
    Unless, of course, you lower resolution.

    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"

    Bill Funk, Nov 6, 2006
  9. "Pat" <> wrote in message

    > ~~NoMad~~ wrote:
    >> For years I always took pictures using one eye looking through a
    >> viewfinder.
    >> Now I have a Panasonic TZ1 that has no viewfinder and I find that I take
    >> better pictures using the display screen. I am able to evaluate the scene
    >> on
    >> the screen more objectively using both eyes. I look at it more like I
    >> would
    >> look at the final print.
    >>
    >> I will never go back to using a one-eyed viewfinder!
    >>
    >> NM

    > The trade-off you make is stability. Hold a camera next to you and
    > look through a viewfinder and you are pretty stable. Hold it out 2
    > feet to see the viewfinder and you have introduced lots of shake..
    >
    > It's okay for some stuff, esp. small prints and snapshots. But you
    > wouldn't want to be holding a 300 mm lens like that.

    Good post. The stability difference is significant (it does vary with age
    and physical condition, of course).

    Charles Schuler, Nov 6, 2006
  10. ~~NoMad~~

    Mike Russell Guest

    "~~NoMad~~" <> wrote in message
    > For years I always took pictures using one eye looking through a
    > viewfinder. Now I have a Panasonic TZ1 that has no viewfinder and I find
    > that I take better pictures using the display screen. I am able to
    > evaluate the scene on the screen more objectively using both eyes. I look
    > at it more like I would look at the final print.
    >
    > I will never go back to using a one-eyed viewfinder!

    You're not the only one who's noticed this. I find that my composition is
    improved by looking at the LCD image. It's easier for me to see how the
    objects "sit" in the image when looking at it this way. Unfortunately, I
    use my viewfinder almost exclusively because I need the diopter correction -
    at least it's an electronic viewfinder and gives some sense of the final
    image.

    Edward Weston used a view camera for just this reason. He wanted to see as
    close to the final product as possible. An LCD backed camera is, in fact, a
    tiny view camera.

    On my wish list would be a virtual viewfinder that allows you to see your
    image as if it were a large print, in real time. This will happen, someday,
    when HDTV glasses hit the market.
    --
    Mike Russell
    www.curvemeister.com/forum/

    Mike Russell, Nov 7, 2006
  11. ~~NoMad~~

    marika Guest

    On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 08:44:59 -0500, ~~NoMad~~
    <> wrote:

    > "~~NoMad~~" <> wrote in message
    >> For years I always took pictures using one eye looking through a
    >> viewfinder. Now I have a Panasonic TZ1 that has no viewfinder and I find
    >> that I take better pictures using the display screen. I am able to
    >> evaluate the scene on the screen more objectively using both eyes. I
    >> look
    >> at it more like I would look at the final print.
    >>
    >> I will never go back to using a one-eyed viewfinder!
    >>
    >> NM
    >>

    > On second thought: I wonder if it has to do with a
    > left-brained/right-brained thing?

    depends if you are more than or under 12 years old

    > Using both eyes to evaluate an image may be more effective than just
    > using
    > one or the other.
    >
    > How well can you compose an image using just your Left Eye?

    not at all

    Or Right Eye?

    not bad

    marika, Nov 17, 2006
  12. ~~NoMad~~

    marika Guest

    On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 08:00:05 -0500, Pat <>
    wrote:

    > ~~NoMad~~ wrote:
    >> For years I always took pictures using one eye looking through a
    >> viewfinder.
    >> Now I have a Panasonic TZ1 that has no viewfinder and I find that I take
    >> better pictures using the display screen. I am able to evaluate the
    >> scene on
    >> the screen more objectively using both eyes. I look at it more like I
    >> would
    >> look at the final print.
    >>
    >> I will never go back to using a one-eyed viewfinder!
    >>
    >> NM

    > The trade-off you make is stability.

    looks like a trend

    marika, Nov 17, 2006
  13. ~~NoMad~~

    marika Guest

    On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 08:09:53 -0500, ~~NoMad~~
    <> wrote:

    > "Pat" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> ~~NoMad~~ wrote:
    >>> For years I always took pictures using one eye looking through a
    >>> viewfinder.
    >>> Now I have a Panasonic TZ1 that has no viewfinder and I find that I
    >>> take
    >>> better pictures using the display screen. I am able to evaluate the
    >>> scene
    >>> on
    >>> the screen more objectively using both eyes. I look at it more like I
    >>> would
    >>> look at the final print.
    >>>
    >>> I will never go back to using a one-eyed viewfinder!
    >>>
    >>> NM

    >> The trade-off you make is stability. Hold a camera next to you and
    >> look through a viewfinder and you are pretty stable. Hold it out 2
    >> feet to see the viewfinder and you have introduced lots of shake..
    >>
    >> It's okay for some stuff, esp. small prints and snapshots. But you
    >> wouldn't want to be holding a 300 mm lens like that.
    >>

    > My Panasonic TZ1 has the equivalent of a 420mm lens with image
    > stabilization
    > and works very well held at an arms length.

    sadlyn they do this in real life. I have been the victim of hearing this
    crap on more than one occasion

    > No blurry pictures and Good Composition to boot!

    and all that happened was I was at a party and I wasn't even talking and
    they started making these snide comments and kicking with boots.
    Fortunately the host heard it and made them stop

    marika, Nov 17, 2006
  14. ~~NoMad~~

    marika Guest

    On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 08:35:23 -0500, RPH
    <> wrote:

    > "~~NoMad~~" <> wrote in
    >

    >> "Pat" <> wrote in message

    >>> The trade-off you make is stability. Hold a camera next to you and
    >>> look through a viewfinder and you are pretty stable. Hold it out 2
    >>> feet to see the viewfinder and you have introduced lots of shake..
    >>>
    >>> It's okay for some stuff, esp. small prints and snapshots. But you
    >>> wouldn't want to be holding a 300 mm lens like that.
    >>>

    >> My Panasonic TZ1 has the equivalent of a 420mm lens with image
    >> stabilization and works very well held at an arms length.
    >>
    >> No blurry pictures and Good Composition to boot!

    > Conversely, I find I take much _worse_ pictures when using the display
    > rather than the viewfinder. YMMV.

    i think I predicted it would end for this reason cos of an article I read
    about people complaining it was too hard work.
    not for ratings but for laziness

    marika, Nov 17, 2006