    last time.

    Thank you,

    greensky

    Guest, Apr 27, 2006

  2. Guest

    Wayne Guest

    <greensky> wrote in message news:uDx$...
    > Hi there,
    >
    > My PC was originally running XP Home edition and I installed Windows XP
    > professional Evaluation
    > version (came with Microsoft Press 70-271) as upgrade and it will be
    > expired very soon. When I did
    > upgrade install using another XP Pro Evaluation CD (came with Microsoft
    > Press 70-270), it still prompts the same expiration date as the old one,
    > although product key went through during the installation.
    >
    > I think I need to uninstall current Windows XP professional Evaluation
    > version in order to install new XP professional Evaluation version to take
    > effect the new 180 days expiration. (Am I correct?) Is
    > it possible to uninstall XP Pro and can leave XP Home? (I don't think so
    > but I'm double-checking and hoping to do it) Or do I need to clean install
    > a new XP professional Evaluation version?
    >
    > One more question: Is there any way I can check what Product Key I'm
    > currently using on the PC? I don't actually remember which one I used for
    > last time.
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > greensky

    Clean install, hopefully you have 2 partitions on your drive. Run the FAST
    wizard and save you settings, format C: and do a clean install of XP.
    To check what Product Key you have, search for an application called
    "Magical JellyBean Key Finder".

    Wayne McGlinn
    Brisbane, Oz
    MCNGP Silver

    Wayne, Apr 27, 2006

  3. Wayne's info is correct, but let me elaborate on it a bit, since on my first
    reading of his post I didn't get it all.

    This link http://pcsupport.about.com/cs/pctutorials/a/lostkey_2.htm explains
    how to extract your windows product activation code from the registry. It
    recommends Belarc Advisor or Magic Jellybean Finder.

    As for how to reinstall XP pro eval and keep XP home, you need to know which
    partition you have each OS on. During the install process you will get to
    the partitioning tool pretty quick. Select the partition that has XP pro on
    it. Wipe it out. Then create a new partition with the resulting free space
    and put XP on that.
    --
    John Strohecker, MCSE

    =?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBTdHJvaGVja2Vy?=, Apr 27, 2006
  4. Guest

    Briscobar Guest

    John Strohecker <> rambled:

    > Wayne's info is correct, but let me elaborate on it a bit, since on
    > my first reading of his post I didn't get it all.
    >
    > This link http://pcsupport.about.com/cs/pctutorials/a/lostkey_2.htm
    > explains how to extract your windows product activation code from the
    > registry. It recommends Belarc Advisor or Magic Jellybean Finder.
    >
    > As for how to reinstall XP pro eval and keep XP home, you need to
    > know which partition you have each OS on. During the install process
    > you will get to the partitioning tool pretty quick. Select the
    > partition that has XP pro on it. Wipe it out. Then create a new
    > partition with the resulting free space and put XP on that.

    My impression was that he upgraded to XP Pro from XP Home - meaning XP Pro
    is running in place of XP Home, on the same partition XP Home was originally
    installed on (my guess is C:).

    --
    KB

    MCNGP #26
    www.mcngp.com is best for all new updates than

    Briscobar, Apr 27, 2006
  5. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Thank you all for the useful information!

    Yes, I upgraded from XP Home to XP Pro in C drive, not in separate
    partitions. I should've installed the evaluation version in different
    partitions. I was too lazy to partition, format and reinstall XP Home in a
    partition and XP Pro in another partition. That's the way I could do without
    third-party partitioning tool, right? Is there any recommended FREE
    partitioning tool that works like System Commander?

    I haven't started studying about Windows Server yet, but dual-boot between
    Server 2003 and XP Pro or XP Home on different partitions will work without
    problem? Should Server 2003 install after XP Pro or XP Home?

    Thank you,

    greensky

    Guest, Apr 27, 2006
  6. Guest

    kpg Guest

    As _unanswered_ once said in microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse

    > Yes, I upgraded from XP Home to XP Pro in C drive, not in separate
    > partitions.

    Well there's your problem.

    kpg, Apr 27, 2006