Two Disk Drives and a question

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Tom Savoie, Dec 5, 2003.

  1. Tom Savoie

    Tom Savoie Guest

    Hi all,

    I just bought a new computer with two hard drives.

    The smaller drive is a 36 GB Maxtor Raptor running at 10,000 RPM.

    The larger is a 160 GB Maxtor running at 7200 RPM.

    My original thought was to put mostly operating system on the small
    drive and use the large drive for Office Pro, games, and most other
    applications and data.

    Someone told me, however, that he would put all applications on the
    smaller drive and use ther larger for data only, because some apps
    won't run correctly unlsee they are on the "C" or boot drive.

    Comments?

    Tom Savoie

    Tom Savoie, Dec 5, 2003

  2. Tom Savoie

    PPH Guest

    In some extreme cases this may be true, but not with office or any games I
    have seen. I have only seen this with old systems (win95 and win98). I have
    never seen this with any windows 2000 application.

    PPH, Dec 5, 2003

  3. Tom Savoie

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    (Tom Savoie) wrote in

    > Comments?

    "Someone" doesn't know what they are talking about.

    DeMoN LaG, Dec 6, 2003
  4. Tom Savoie

    Diehard Guest

    "Tom Savoie" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I just bought a new computer with two hard drives.
    >
    > The smaller drive is a 36 GB Maxtor Raptor running at 10,000 RPM.
    >
    > The larger is a 160 GB Maxtor running at 7200 RPM.
    >
    > My original thought was to put mostly operating system on the small
    > drive and use the large drive for Office Pro, games, and most other
    > applications and data.
    >
    > Someone told me, however, that he would put all applications on the
    > smaller drive and use ther larger for data only, because some apps
    > won't run correctly unlsee they are on the "C" or boot drive.
    >
    > Comments?
    >
    > Tom Savoie

    You want the operating system on the fastest drive as well as the most
    important apps and games. if you care about speed for a game or app, put it
    on the faster drive. it might help, but not much. i mean in yer case, 10k
    rpm vs 7200. keep back up and so on and less important apps on the slower
    drive.

    Diehard, Dec 6, 2003
  5. Tom Savoie

    dudalb Guest

    Nonsense. I have two computers. One is an older one runing Windows 98 I use
    for older programs (DOS Mainly). I have three hard drives (this was before
    the age of huge harddrives) and I have never had a problem with programs
    running on any drive I put them out except for some very old DOS programs
    and they don't take up much room on the C drive anyway. You should not have
    a problem. If anything, XP should be able to handle mulitple drives better
    then 98.
    The OS should always be on the C drive though.
    And if you have XP it was designed with the idea of running on more them one
    drive.

    dudalb, Dec 9, 2003