    Merry Chirstmas and Happy New Year.

    Thanks is advance.

    , Dec 22, 2005

  2. Guest

    wrote:

    Get whatever speed is cheaper, unless you replace your current memory and
    your motherboard supports a 133 Mhz system clock. Also make sure it is the
    same type (Im assuming SDRAM) The system clock is a square wave signal used
    to refresh DRAM and reference data signals so the changes in voltages on
    the data lines. Example:

    the high and low lines equal voltage levels

    clock signal: -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
    data signal: __-_---_____----_

    Without a clock signal there is no way for the computer to determine if the
    long periods of low voltage will equal lots of 0s or a few 0s. Without the
    clock signal to get the logical ones and 0s the system would have no way to
    determine what the electrical data signal meant unless you would have to
    use a bipolar or more complex logic system which would most likely be
    slower because it would take more changes in the data signal to produce the
    same data. Also with a bipolar logic system current will flow both ways
    through the line making it more likely to cause interference and making
    engineering more complex due to semiconductor biasing.

    Hopefully you now have a better understanding of what those frequencies in
    computer components actually are and how they work.

    > I have a hp computer with 256 DIMM ram (100 mhz). I want to upgrade the
    > ram. I have the following options:
    >
    > * install a 256 MB DIMM with same bus speed.
    > * install a 256 MB DIMM with higher bus speed.
    > * install a 512 MB DIMM with same bus speed.
    > * install a 512 MB DIMM with higher bus speed.
    >
    > Which option is best for me?
    >
    > Merry Chirstmas and Happy New Year.
    >
    > Thanks is advance.

    http://www.usenet.com

    , Dec 22, 2005

  3. nos1eep Guest

    On 22 Dec 2005 06:08:12 -0800, spewed the
    following drivel:

    <
    <* install a 256 MB DIMM with same bus speed.
    <* install a 256 MB DIMM with higher bus speed.
    <* install a 512 MB DIMM with same bus speed.
    <* install a 512 MB DIMM with higher bus speed.
    <
    <Which option is best for me?
    <
    <Merry Chirstmas and Happy New Year.
    <
    <Thanks is advance.
    Install same speed, same density. In other words, if the RAM has chips
    on a single side, buy that or if it has chips on both sides, follow
    suit.

    --

    -nos1eep

    -Scaling up the heights of folly.
    -non est ponenda pluritas sine necessitate

    nos1eep, Dec 22, 2005