Two devices to share one bridge?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Chris Burson, Jan 19, 2006.

  1. Chris Burson

    Chris Burson Guest

    I have a small WiFi network consisting of two laptops and my Xbox which link
    wirelessly to a Vigor router for internet access (I have never set up any
    file sharing features). The Xbox connects to the router via a D-Link WiFi
    bridge (DWL-810).

    Having just (re)bought a PS2, I'd like to connect it to the internet as
    well, but I don't want to spend another £40 on a bridge. Could I just use a
    Cat 5 'double socket' adapter in the back of the D-Link bridge so that Xbox
    and PS2 are plugged in at the same time? (Xbox and PS2 would never be
    switched on both at the same time.)

    I have seen this splitter, and others like it:

    http://www.shoppingcentre.net/shop/rj45-cat5-cable-splitter-plug-sockets-cat5e-21cm-p-2356.html

    Would it work? Or am I hopelessly naive?

    Cheers,

    Chris

    P.S. The blurb mentions '2 pairs of cables' - is that a normal Cat 5
    connection?

    Chris Burson, Jan 19, 2006

  2. Hi
    Buy a simple inexpensive 4 ports switch (what you refer to as a splitter).
    Using three wires of straight CAT5e you plug the X-Box, PS, and the Wireless
    Bridge to three of the ports and it should work.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jan 20, 2006

  3. Chris Burson

    Chris Burson Guest

    Appreciate the reply, Jack, thanks. I did a 'port/switch' search and
    eventually found a D-Link DES-1005D, a 5 port switch which was under £19,
    delivered. Then I thought of eBay (!) and found a Safecom SEP5R, another 5
    port switch for just £13, delivered. (I found the details on the Safecom
    website:

    http://safecom.cn/code/sub/category.asp?prdid=34&subcatid=9

    .... and at least one second-hand unit was less than a tenner!)

    So, many thanks again, Jack. You've done me proud. :)

    Cheers,

    Chris

    :
    : Hi
    : Buy a simple inexpensive 4 ports switch (what you refer to as a splitter).
    : Using three wires of straight CAT5e you plug the X-Box, PS, and the
    Wireless
    : Bridge to three of the ports and it should work.
    : Jack (MVP-Networking).
    :
    :
    : "Chris Burson" wrote in message
    :
    : >I have a small WiFi network... The Xbox connects to the router via a
    D-Link WiFi
    : > bridge (DWL-810).
    : >

    Chris Burson, Jan 20, 2006
  4. Chris Burson

    Chris Burson Guest

    So, I spent a while putting four or five port switches into my eBay Watch
    List - and have today become the proud owner of a D-Link DES-1005D 5 Port
    Switch. Perfik! I wanted a D-Link ideally 'cos I'm not at all confident with
    networking and it seemed safer to stick with the same manufacturer as my
    bridge.

    And best of all, since it's second-hand, it only cost me £8.45, delivered!
    (About $15?) Even more perfik, then. :)

    So thanks again, Jack. I'm a happy bunny today.

    Cheers,

    Chris

    "Chris Burson" wrote in message
    :
    : Appreciate the reply, Jack, thanks. I did a 'port/switch' search and
    : eventually found a D-Link DES-1005D, a 5 port switch which was under £19,
    : delivered. Then I thought of eBay (!) and found a Safecom SEP5R... for
    just £13, delivered... and at least one second-hand unit was less than a
    tenner!
    :
    : Cheers,
    :
    : Chris
    :
    :
    : "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote in message
    ::
    :: Hi
    :: Buy a simple inexpensive 4 ports switch... plug the X-Box, PS, and the
    : Wireless Bridge to three of the ports and it should work.
    :: Jack (MVP-Networking).
    ::
    ::
    :: "Chris Burson" wrote in message
    ::
    :: >I have a small WiFi network... The Xbox connects to the router via a
    : D-Link WiFi
    :: > bridge (DWL-810).
    :: >

    Chris Burson, Jan 21, 2006