    one says Internet Connection, 150Mbps. Why might I suddenly have the
    second one?

    , Apr 7, 2008

  2. <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I now have two connection icons in the system tray, though I only have
    > one connection. One says Local Area Connection, 100Mbps and the new
    > one says Internet Connection, 150Mbps. Why might I suddenly have the
    > second one?

    Make sure the computer isn't set to always dial the default connection if it
    isn't have you installed/reinstalled a router recently?

    Edna.

    aboringcreatedname, Apr 7, 2008

  3. Guest

    On Apr 7, 4:44 am, "aboringcreatedname" <> wrote:
    > <> wrote in message

    > >I now have two connection icons in the system tray, though I only have
    > > one connection. One says Local Area Connection, 100Mbps and the new
    > > one says Internet Connection, 150Mbps. Why might I suddenly have the
    > > second one?

    > Make sure the computer isn't set to always dial the default connection if it
    > isn't have you installed/reinstalled a router recently?
    >
    > Edna.

    No new router install, no dial up connection. I use DSL.

    , Apr 7, 2008
  4. ded Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Apr 7, 4:44 am, "aboringcreatedname" <> wrote:
    >> <> wrote in message

    >> >I now have two connection icons in the system tray, though I only have
    >> > one connection. One says Local Area Connection, 100Mbps and the new
    >> > one says Internet Connection, 150Mbps. Why might I suddenly have the
    >> > second one?

    >> Make sure the computer isn't set to always dial the default connection if
    >> it
    >> isn't have you installed/reinstalled a router recently?
    >>
    >> Edna.

    > No new router install, no dial up connection. I use DSL.

    OK, and how is your DSL service configured, is it virginmedia/NTL's
    full package and how is the cable modem connected - USB right?
    Your original post is topsy turvey, you list your Internet connection
    as second, but ask why you have a second icon, but you mean the
    LAN connection right?
    Place cursor on it and RIGHT click and from menu select:
    "Show Available Connections"
    Usually a wizard appears and looks for a device such as a router
    or whatever, if nothing is found then all that has happened is you
    have a card installed that previously was disabled but somehow
    has become enabled, you can disable it if you want so that pesky
    second icon no longer appears.
    Close all windows
    RIGHT click "My Computer"
    From sub menu select "Properties"
    A dialog appears, click the "Hardware" tab
    Click the "Device Manager" button
    Listed will be the hardware, scroll down to "Network adapters"
    Open the tree, listed maybe several entries, including your NTL
    connection, probably also 1394 net adapters, and an entry for
    something titled a PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter, if so then RIGHT
    click on it and select "Disable".
    Close all windows
    Pesky second icon will be gone.

    ded, Apr 7, 2008
  5. Guest

    I had unwittingly checked a box in a Windows dialogue to show this
    Internet connection in the system tray. I simply unchecked the box.
    Problem solved.

    There was no additional card. I knew I didn't have more than one
    Internet connection, I simply had two connection icons showing
    different things for the same connection.

    D.

    > OK, and how is your DSL service configured, is it virginmedia/NTL's
    > full package and how is the cable modem connected - USB right?
    > Your original post is topsy turvey, you list your Internet connection
    > as second, but ask why you have a second icon, but you mean the
    > LAN connection right?
    > Place cursor on it and RIGHT click and from menu select:
    > "Show Available Connections"
    > Usually a wizard appears and looks for a device such as a router
    > or whatever, if nothing is found then all that has happened is you
    > have a card installed that previously was disabled but somehow
    > has become enabled, you can disable it if you want so that pesky
    > second icon no longer appears.
    > Close all windows
    > RIGHT click "My Computer"
    > From sub menu select "Properties"
    > A dialog appears, click the "Hardware" tab
    > Click the "Device Manager" button
    > Listed will be the hardware, scroll down to "Network adapters"
    > Open the tree, listed maybe several entries, including your NTL
    > connection, probably also 1394 net adapters, and an entry for
    > something titled a PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter, if so then RIGHT
    > click on it and select "Disable".
    > Close all windows
    > Pesky second icon will be g

    , Apr 8, 2008