    and .

    How do they accomplish this in Thunderbird?

    Thank you.
    darby, Feb 10, 2005

  2. darby wrote:
    > I am trying to wean my family off OE. They have two computers and in OE can
    > use message rules to "Leave message on the server". In this way Fred can
    > get his mail in his own time and Jane can do the same using
    > and .
    >
    > How do they accomplish this in Thunderbird?
    >
    > Thank you.

    Tools>>Account Settings>>(account in question)>>Server Settings

    Check or uncheck the box for Leave messages on server, as desired.

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Feb 10, 2005

  3. darby

    darby Guest

    On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 18:08:00 GMT, Leonidas Jones wrote:

    > darby wrote:
    >> I am trying to wean my family off OE. They have two computers and in OE can
    >> use message rules to "Leave message on the server". In this way Fred can
    >> get his mail in his own time and Jane can do the same using
    >> and .
    >>
    >> How do they accomplish this in Thunderbird?
    >>
    >> Thank you.

    > Tools>>Account Settings>>(account in question)>>Server Settings
    >
    > Check or uncheck the box for Leave messages on server, as desired.
    >
    > Lee

    Thank you for your prompt answer Lee.

    Yes I know you can leave message on the server but this is not quite what I
    meant.

    With OE they can filter their mail to Fred or Janes computer through
    message rules but can`t do this in Thunderbird.
    darby, Feb 10, 2005
  4. darby

    Skratz Guest

    darby wrote:
    > On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 18:08:00 GMT, Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >

    >>darby wrote:
    >>
    >>>I am trying to wean my family off OE. They have two computers and in OE can
    >>>use message rules to "Leave message on the server". In this way Fred can
    >>>get his mail in his own time and Jane can do the same using
    >>> and .
    >>>
    >>>How do they accomplish this in Thunderbird?
    >>>
    >>>Thank you.

    >>Tools>>Account Settings>>(account in question)>>Server Settings
    >>
    >>Check or uncheck the box for Leave messages on server, as desired.
    >>
    >>Lee

    > Thank you for your prompt answer Lee.
    >
    > Yes I know you can leave message on the server but this is not quite what I
    > meant.
    >
    > With OE they can filter their mail to Fred or Janes computer through
    > message rules but can`t do this in Thunderbird.

    leave messages on server, like leonidas jones said and then you kan make
    a filter that removes the messages from the pop server for the specific
    email. doesn't work perfectly because the mail that is sent with the
    e-mail adress in the bcc won't get deleted.

    how do you do it in ie? i don't think there is a perfect way to do that
    either.
    Skratz, Feb 11, 2005
  5. darby

    darby Guest

    On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 20:17:14 +0100, Skratz wrote:

    > darby wrote:

    >>>Tools>>Account Settings>>(account in question)>>Server Settings
    >>>
    >>>Check or uncheck the box for Leave messages on server, as desired.
    >>>
    >>>Lee

    > leave messages on server, like leonidas jones said and then you kan make
    > a filter that removes the messages from the pop server for the specific
    > email. doesn't work perfectly because the mail that is sent with the
    > e-mail adress in the bcc won't get deleted.
    >
    > how do you do it in ie? i don't think there is a perfect way to do that
    > either.

    In OE Fred can set a rule which says if it`s addressed to Jane leave it on
    the server and vice versa.

    The point being that this is not a blanket rule for that account but a
    specific for that rule.

    I can`t see anyway of doing this in Thunderbird but it can`t be an unusual
    situation surely?
    darby, Feb 11, 2005
  6. darby wrote:
    > On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 20:17:14 +0100, Skratz wrote:
    >

    >>darby wrote:

    >>leave messages on server, like leonidas jones said and then you kan make
    >>a filter that removes the messages from the pop server for the specific
    >>email. doesn't work perfectly because the mail that is sent with the
    >>e-mail adress in the bcc won't get deleted.
    >>
    >>how do you do it in ie? i don't think there is a perfect way to do that
    >>either.

    > In OE Fred can set a rule which says if it`s addressed to Jane leave it on
    > the server and vice versa.
    >
    > The point being that this is not a blanket rule for that account but a
    > specific for that rule.
    >
    > I can`t see anyway of doing this in Thunderbird but it can`t be an unusual
    > situation surely?

    Okay, this is interesting. I had never tried to write a filter such as
    you mention, so I hadn't noticed this.

    In the Mozilla suite mail component, you can filter for the To field,
    and many other options. TB, at least from here, only seems to allow for
    filters for Subject, Sender and Date.

    If you want to try using Mozilla for mail, you could accomplish your
    goal easily. Is it unusual. I've been fielding support questions for a
    couple of years now, and this is the first time its come up. It does
    seem odd that the filter possibilities would be so much weaker in TB
    then in Moz though. Maybe someone else report that I am missing
    something really obvious.

    Assuming I'm right, a possible workaround would be to create a filter
    with a subject of "Whatever" selected as the condition, or something
    else if you like. Create all the other parameters of the filter as desired.

    Then go to the profile and open msgFilterRules.dat in a text editor.
    Find the newly created rule, and find the condition line.

    condition="OR (subject,is,Whatever)"

    Or something close to that. Change the word "subject" to "to", and
    "Whatever" to the desired email address. It will now read:

    condition="OR (to,is,)"

    I've never actually done this, but since Mozilla will accept a filter
    with to as the condition, I am 99% certain TB will run it, even it the
    option to create it is not in the UI.

    If you choose to try this, be sure to back up the profile(s) before
    doing so, just in case.

    Its kludgey, but I'll bet it will work!

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Feb 12, 2005
  7. darby

    darby Guest

    On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 01:25:11 GMT, Leonidas Jones wrote:

    > darby wrote:

    >>>leave messages on server, like leonidas jones said and then you kan make
    >>>a filter that removes the messages from the pop server for the specific
    >>>email. doesn't work perfectly because the mail that is sent with the
    >>>e-mail adress in the bcc won't get deleted.
    >>>
    >>>how do you do it in ie? i don't think there is a perfect way to do that
    >>>either.

    >> In OE Fred can set a rule which says if it`s addressed to Jane leave it on
    >> the server and vice versa.
    >>
    >> The point being that this is not a blanket rule for that account but a
    >> specific for that rule.
    >>
    >> I can`t see anyway of doing this in Thunderbird but it can`t be an unusual
    >> situation surely?

    > Okay, this is interesting. I had never tried to write a filter such as
    > you mention, so I hadn't noticed this.
    >
    > In the Mozilla suite mail component, you can filter for the To field,
    > and many other options. TB, at least from here, only seems to allow for
    > filters for Subject, Sender and Date.
    >
    > If you want to try using Mozilla for mail, you could accomplish your
    > goal easily. Is it unusual. I've been fielding support questions for a
    > couple of years now, and this is the first time its come up. It does
    > seem odd that the filter possibilities would be so much weaker in TB
    > then in Moz though. Maybe someone else report that I am missing
    > something really obvious.
    >
    > Assuming I'm right, a possible workaround would be to create a filter
    > with a subject of "Whatever" selected as the condition, or something
    > else if you like. Create all the other parameters of the filter as desired.
    >
    > Then go to the profile and open msgFilterRules.dat in a text editor.
    > Find the newly created rule, and find the condition line.
    >
    > condition="OR (subject,is,Whatever)"
    >
    > Or something close to that. Change the word "subject" to "to", and
    > "Whatever" to the desired email address. It will now read:
    >
    > condition="OR (to,is,)"
    >
    > I've never actually done this, but since Mozilla will accept a filter
    > with to as the condition, I am 99% certain TB will run it, even it the
    > option to create it is not in the UI.
    >
    > If you choose to try this, be sure to back up the profile(s) before
    > doing so, just in case.
    >
    > Its kludgey, but I'll bet it will work!
    >
    > Lee

    Hi Lee

    I`ve been asking in newsgroups and forums now for over a month.

    TB message rules has ten options in Incoming mail includind "To" but the
    one I would like to see is "Leave message on Server" under Perform these
    actions.

    I would prefer to stay with Firefox and Thunderbird as separate apps.

    Darby
    darby, Feb 12, 2005
  8. darby wrote:
    > On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 01:25:11 GMT, Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >

    >>darby wrote:

    >>>In OE Fred can set a rule which says if it`s addressed to Jane leave it on
    >>>the server and vice versa.
    >>>
    >>>The point being that this is not a blanket rule for that account but a
    >>>specific for that rule.
    >>>
    >>>I can`t see anyway of doing this in Thunderbird but it can`t be an unusual
    >>>situation surely?

    >>Okay, this is interesting. I had never tried to write a filter such as
    >>you mention, so I hadn't noticed this.
    >>
    >>In the Mozilla suite mail component, you can filter for the To field,
    >>and many other options. TB, at least from here, only seems to allow for
    >>filters for Subject, Sender and Date.
    >>
    >>If you want to try using Mozilla for mail, you could accomplish your
    >>goal easily. Is it unusual. I've been fielding support questions for a
    >>couple of years now, and this is the first time its come up. It does
    >>seem odd that the filter possibilities would be so much weaker in TB
    >>then in Moz though. Maybe someone else report that I am missing
    >>something really obvious.
    >>
    >>Assuming I'm right, a possible workaround would be to create a filter
    >>with a subject of "Whatever" selected as the condition, or something
    >>else if you like. Create all the other parameters of the filter as desired.
    >>
    >>Then go to the profile and open msgFilterRules.dat in a text editor.
    >>Find the newly created rule, and find the condition line.
    >>
    >>condition="OR (subject,is,Whatever)"
    >>
    >>Or something close to that. Change the word "subject" to "to", and
    >>"Whatever" to the desired email address. It will now read:
    >>
    >>condition="OR (to,is,)"
    >>
    >>I've never actually done this, but since Mozilla will accept a filter
    >>with to as the condition, I am 99% certain TB will run it, even it the
    >>option to create it is not in the UI.
    >>
    >>If you choose to try this, be sure to back up the profile(s) before
    >>doing so, just in case.
    >>
    >>Its kludgey, but I'll bet it will work!
    >>
    >>Lee

    > Hi Lee
    >
    > I`ve been asking in newsgroups and forums now for over a month.
    >
    > TB message rules has ten options in Incoming mail includind "To" but the
    > one I would like to see is "Leave message on Server" under Perform these
    > actions.
    >
    > I would prefer to stay with Firefox and Thunderbird as separate apps.
    >
    > Darby

    Sorry, theme related issue hiding all the filter options. Default theme
    shows them all.

    I'll drop out of this discussion after one more suggestion. I'll drop
    out because I really don't understand your friends' mail account setup.

    Anyhow, you want mail to be set to be downloaded into TB automatically.
    (Leave messages on server is unchecked.) You then want to write a filter
    so that messages To a particular address are left on the server.
    Thunderbird has no filter option to leave messages on the server.
    However it does have one to Delete the message from POP server.

    Why not do it in reverse? Set Account settings to Leave messages on the
    server, then write the filter so that messages To a particular address
    are deleted from the server.

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Feb 12, 2005
  9. darby

    darby Guest

    On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 18:48:56 GMT, Leonidas Jones wrote:

    > darby wrote:

    >>>Okay, this is interesting. I had never tried to write a filter such as
    >>>you mention, so I hadn't noticed this.
    >>>
    >>>In the Mozilla suite mail component, you can filter for the To field,
    >>>and many other options. TB, at least from here, only seems to allow for
    >>>filters for Subject, Sender and Date.
    >>>
    >>>If you want to try using Mozilla for mail, you could accomplish your
    >>>goal easily. Is it unusual. I've been fielding support questions for a
    >>>couple of years now, and this is the first time its come up. It does
    >>>seem odd that the filter possibilities would be so much weaker in TB
    >>>then in Moz though. Maybe someone else report that I am missing
    >>>something really obvious.
    >>>
    >>>Assuming I'm right, a possible workaround would be to create a filter
    >>>with a subject of "Whatever" selected as the condition, or something
    >>>else if you like. Create all the other parameters of the filter as desired.
    >>>
    >>>Then go to the profile and open msgFilterRules.dat in a text editor.
    >>>Find the newly created rule, and find the condition line.
    >>>
    >>>condition="OR (subject,is,Whatever)"
    >>>
    >>>Or something close to that. Change the word "subject" to "to", and
    >>>"Whatever" to the desired email address. It will now read:
    >>>
    >>>condition="OR (to,is,)"
    >>>
    >>>I've never actually done this, but since Mozilla will accept a filter
    >>>with to as the condition, I am 99% certain TB will run it, even it the
    >>>option to create it is not in the UI.
    >>>
    >>>If you choose to try this, be sure to back up the profile(s) before
    >>>doing so, just in case.
    >>>
    >>>Its kludgey, but I'll bet it will work!
    >>>
    >>>Lee

    >> Hi Lee
    >>
    >> I`ve been asking in newsgroups and forums now for over a month.
    >>
    >> TB message rules has ten options in Incoming mail includind "To" but the
    >> one I would like to see is "Leave message on Server" under Perform these
    >> actions.
    >>
    >> I would prefer to stay with Firefox and Thunderbird as separate apps.
    >>
    >> Darby

    > Sorry, theme related issue hiding all the filter options. Default theme
    > shows them all.
    >
    > I'll drop out of this discussion after one more suggestion. I'll drop
    > out because I really don't understand your friends' mail account setup.
    >
    > Anyhow, you want mail to be set to be downloaded into TB automatically.
    > (Leave messages on server is unchecked.) You then want to write a filter
    > so that messages To a particular address are left on the server.
    > Thunderbird has no filter option to leave messages on the server.
    > However it does have one to Delete the message from POP server.
    >
    > Why not do it in reverse? Set Account settings to Leave messages on the
    > server, then write the filter so that messages To a particular address
    > are deleted from the server.
    >
    > Lee

    Thanks Lee

    It still seems odd to me that if OE has the facility to leave a message on
    the server that facility is missing from an otherwise great program.

    Darby
    darby, Feb 12, 2005
  10. darby wrote:
    > On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 18:48:56 GMT, Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >

    >>darby wrote:

    >>>Hi Lee
    >>>
    >>>I`ve been asking in newsgroups and forums now for over a month.
    >>>
    >>>TB message rules has ten options in Incoming mail includind "To" but the
    >>>one I would like to see is "Leave message on Server" under Perform these
    >>>actions.
    >>>
    >>>I would prefer to stay with Firefox and Thunderbird as separate apps.
    >>>
    >>>Darby

    >>Sorry, theme related issue hiding all the filter options. Default theme
    >>shows them all.
    >>
    >>I'll drop out of this discussion after one more suggestion. I'll drop
    >>out because I really don't understand your friends' mail account setup.
    >>
    >>Anyhow, you want mail to be set to be downloaded into TB automatically.
    >>(Leave messages on server is unchecked.) You then want to write a filter
    >>so that messages To a particular address are left on the server.
    >>Thunderbird has no filter option to leave messages on the server.
    >>However it does have one to Delete the message from POP server.
    >>
    >>Why not do it in reverse? Set Account settings to Leave messages on the
    >>server, then write the filter so that messages To a particular address
    >>are deleted from the server.
    >>
    >>Lee

    > Thanks Lee
    >
    > It still seems odd to me that if OE has the facility to leave a message on
    > the server that facility is missing from an otherwise great program.
    >
    > Darby

    Let us know if this workaround suits your friends' needs. If it does, I
    would say the facility is there in TB, its just not implemented exactly
    as one expected.

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Feb 12, 2005
  11. darby

    Skratz Guest

    darby wrote:
    > On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 20:17:14 +0100, Skratz wrote:
    >
    >>darby wrote:

    >>leave messages on server, like leonidas jones said and then you kan make
    >>a filter that removes the messages from the pop server for the specific
    >>email. doesn't work perfectly because the mail that is sent with the
    >>e-mail adress in the bcc won't get deleted.
    >>
    >>how do you do it in oe? i don't think there is a perfect way to do that either.

    > In OE Fred can set a rule which says if it`s addressed to Jane leave it on the server and vice versa.
    >
    > The point being that this is not a blanket rule for that account but a specific for that rule.
    >
    > I can`t see anyway of doing this in Thunderbird but it can`t be an unusual
    > situation surely?

    Well it's actualy weird for 2 people with different mail adresses to
    share the same mailbox.

    There was already a problem with your rules in oe. Mails bcc'ed to jane
    would also get deleted from the server. That is why you should have two
    mailboxes.
    Skratz, Feb 12, 2005