two computer on DSL [router]

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Eddy Long, Nov 17, 2004.

  1. Eddy Long

    Eddy Long Guest

    [computer1]
    Gateway PII @350mhz with Win98

    [computer2]
    Dell PIII @ 500mhz with Win98SE

    Thinking of dropping our dialup service and switching to DSL which our phone
    service provides for the same cost.

    Phone service says that they will provide a cable modem.

    I'd like to have internet access to both computers off of the modem.

    Sales says no problem. Buy a router in the $60.00 to $80.00 range which
    will split the signal to both computers so that both computers can have
    access to the internet at the same time.

    However, they say connection can be accomplished two ways.

    Option A would need cables to go from the router to the computers.

    modem---->router---->computer1 and computer2

    Option B would not need a cable but would require a card installed in both
    computers.

    -------------------------------

    Confused.

    Any advice on routers to purchase and installation options would be greatly
    appreciated.

    Many thanks,
    E.
    Eddy Long, Nov 17, 2004

  2. Sounds like they are talking wireless. How far apart are the pc's. Are
    you handy enough to run cat5 wire?

    If not, opt for the wireless router. I know some ISP around here are
    giving wireless routers as part of their package.

    Very convienant if you have a laptop.

    Brian Z

    Brian Zurawski, Nov 17, 2004

  3. Eddy Long

    Eddy Long Guest

    In parts...

    "Brian Zurawski" <> wrote in message:

    > Sounds like they are talking wireless. How far apart are the pc's.

    Both are desktops in different rooms. About fifty feet apart.
    ---------------------

    > Are you handy enough to run cat5 wire?

    No sure what that is.
    Please advise.
    Thank you.
    ---------------------

    > If not, opt for the wireless router. I know some ISP around here are
    > giving wireless routers as part of their package.
    >
    > Very convienant if you have a laptop.
    >
    > Brian Z

    The only thing they are giving away with DSL subscription is the cable
    modem.

    The customer has to purchase the rest.

    What's the best way to hook up both boxes so that each can have access to
    the internet at the same time?

    Thank you for taking the time to answer the questions.
    E.
    Eddy Long, Nov 17, 2004
  4. Cat5 is standard network wire. (You can probably get it in 50 foot
    lengths with the 'ends' on it (rj-45 connectors).

    You would need to have a network card in each pc. And then connect them
    back to the router.

    If you search the internet for connnected 2 computers to share internet
    or even try the linksys.com website for more detailed instruction.

    Brian

    Brian Zurawski, Nov 17, 2004
  5. Eddy Long

    The One Guest

    "Eddy Long" <eddy@NO_att_SPAM.net> wrote in message
    > [computer1]
    > Gateway PII @350mhz with Win98
    >
    > [computer2]
    > Dell PIII @ 500mhz with Win98SE

    > Thinking of dropping our dialup service and switching to DSL which our
    > phone
    > service provides for the same cost.

    ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    The One, Nov 17, 2004
  6. Eddy Long

    Plato Guest

    Brian Zurawski wrote:

    > If not, opt for the wireless router. I know some ISP around here are
    > giving wireless routers as part of their package.

    IN my area the broadband folks are just starting to support wireless
    routers also. They got lots of guts as good ol dad often turns the cold
    war bomb shelter in the basement into an office :)
    Plato, Nov 18, 2004
  7. LOL...I guess its hard to get a signal through the walls of a bomb shelter

    Brian

    Brian Zurawski, Nov 18, 2004