two cisco dte connections

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Maarten, Mar 3, 2006.

  1. Maarten

    Maarten Guest

    I have for the hobby two cisco 805 routers. The problem is that I only
    Have got two dte v.35 cable's.
    To buy a dce v.35 is to expensive.

    I have considered to solder so that to the end of both males have a
    cross connection. I have used this diagram:

    P ------------------- R
    S ------------------- T
    R ------------------- P
    T ------------------- S
    C ------------------- D
    D ------------------- C
    E ------------------- H
    H ------------------- E
    Y & U ------------------- V
    W & AA ------------------- X
    V ------------------- Y & U
    X ------------------- W & AA

    If I has done that and I give the command show controllers int serial0
    one of the cisco router:

    Then the result is:

    v.35 dte

    Even if the cabel end not connected(the male not cconnect to the other
    male)

    I think that there is a hardware protection on the cable but where?
    Maarten, Mar 3, 2006

  2. On 03.03.2006 14:28 Maarten wrote

    > I have for the hobby two cisco 805 routers. The problem is that I only
    > Have got two dte v.35 cable's.
    > To buy a dce v.35 is to expensive.
    >
    > I have considered to solder so that to the end of both males have a
    > cross connection. I have used this diagram:
    >
    > P ------------------- R
    > S ------------------- T
    > R ------------------- P
    > T ------------------- S
    > C ------------------- D
    > D ------------------- C
    > E ------------------- H
    > H ------------------- E
    > Y & U ------------------- V
    > W & AA ------------------- X
    > V ------------------- Y & U
    > X ------------------- W & AA
    >

    > If I has done that and I give the command show controllers int serial0
    > one of the cisco router:
    >
    > Then the result is:
    >
    > v.35 dte
    >
    > Even if the cabel end not connected(the male not cconnect to the other
    > male)
    >
    > I think that there is a hardware protection on the cable but where?

    iirc correctly you have to set one to dce to make it work ...

    Arnold
    --
    Arnold Nipper, AN45
    Arnold Nipper, Mar 3, 2006

  3. Maarten

    Maarten Guest

    How can I set iirc correctly? sorry I have never heard about iirc
    correctly
    Maarten, Mar 3, 2006
  4. Maarten

    Charlie Root Guest

    "Maarten" <> wrote in message
    >I have for the hobby two cisco 805 routers. The problem is that I only
    > Have got two dte v.35 cable's.
    > To buy a dce v.35 is to expensive.
    >
    > I have considered to solder so that to the end of both males have a
    > cross connection. I have used this diagram:

    Here is the document describing pinouts of both DTE and DCE cables:

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products...figuration_guide_chapter09186a008007e10e.html

    there are shortcuts in the cable that make it appear either as DCE or as
    DTE. In order to get proper clocking you have to have one DCE and one DTE on
    the link.

    Kind regards,
    iLya
    Charlie Root, Mar 3, 2006