Two broadband modems on the same phone line.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Vista, Apr 27, 2006.

  1. Vista

    Vista Guest

    Is it possible to run two broadband ADSL modems on the same adsl phone line.
    I know you can't do this with dial up modems, but can it be done with ADSL
    modems?
    TIA
     
    Vista, Apr 27, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Vista

    Legs Guest

    Vista wrote:
    > Is it possible to run two broadband ADSL modems on the same adsl phone line.
    > I know you can't do this with dial up modems, but can it be done with ADSL
    > modems?
    > TIA
    >
    >


    No, this is not possible if you mean 'run simultaneously'.
     
    Legs, Apr 27, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Vista

    Legs Guest

    Legs wrote:
    > Vista wrote:
    >> Is it possible to run two broadband ADSL modems on the same adsl phone
    >> line. I know you can't do this with dial up modems, but can it be done
    >> with ADSL modems?
    >> TIA
    >>

    >
    > No, this is not possible if you mean 'run simultaneously'.
    >
    >
    >

    The normal procedure to run two (or more) computers via an ADSL
    connection is with a network using (generally) a router and switch/hub
    combination.
     
    Legs, Apr 27, 2006
    #3
  4. On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 15:34:41 +1200, Vista wrote:

    > Is it possible to run two broadband ADSL modems on the same adsl phone line.


    No.


    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    --
    1/ Migration to Linux only costs money once. Higher Windows TCO is forever.
    2/ "Shared source" is a poison pill. Open Source is freedom.
    3/ Only the Windows boxes get the worms.
     
    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Apr 27, 2006
    #4
  5. Vista

    thingy Guest

    Vista wrote:
    > Is it possible to run two broadband ADSL modems on the same adsl phone line.
    > I know you can't do this with dial up modems, but can it be done with ADSL
    > modems?
    > TIA
    >
    >


    No but you could run an adsl modem and a cable modem....indeed 2 cable
    modems I believe....

    There are even alternatives to Clear....but I suspect its just a pass
    the parcel thing.....

    http://www.xtreme.net.nz/services/cable.php

    regards

    Thing
     
    thingy, Apr 27, 2006
    #5
  6. Vista

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "Vista" <> wrote in news:1146108723.705629@ftpsrv1:

    > I know you can't do this with dial up modems, but can it be done with
    > ADSL modems?


    If the modems have diffent physical lines, these is built into windows XP
    now.
    Google "modem Bonding"

    --
    Ciao, Dave
     
    Dave Taylor, Apr 27, 2006
    #6
  7. Vista

    Brett Guest

    if I have two phonelines, could i then have two adsl modems bonding?
     
    Brett, Apr 28, 2006
    #7
  8. Vista

    bob Guest

    On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 15:34:41 +1200, "Vista" <>
    magnanimously proffered:

    >Is it possible to run two broadband ADSL modems on the same adsl phone line.
    >I know you can't do this with dial up modems, but can it be done with ADSL
    >modems?
    >TIA
    >


    I've been running two separate broadband ADSL connections to two
    separate computers from one modem. My PC doesn't have an Ethernet
    port, so I'm using an USB cable to the modem, while the laptop does
    have an Ethernet port which I'm also using with the modem. If that
    makes any sense. One line, one modem, two computers - no network. b
     
    bob, Apr 28, 2006
    #8
  9. Vista

    Charlie G Guest

    I tried to find a solution to this issue, but had no luck. It seems it
    can't be done.

    In case any whizz here can offer a solution, here is the scenario.

    Son moves back home to sleepout - has own (telecom) supplied modem. Telecom
    broadband connected to computer in the house, and network cable to sleepout.

    So far so good - extra card in house computer & broadband up & running to
    sleeput.

    Trouble is, neither house nor sleepout want to live with constant noise of
    computer 24/7 so other can use imternet. Neither wants to trapse in (or
    out) when other has computer off, just to habe the comvemiance (?) of
    broadband.

    The sleepout has a phonejack.

    Since it doesn't seem possible for each to use theri own modens
    concurrently, would it be possible to install an extra network card in the
    sleepout machine, and ask the house to turn off the modem at the same time
    as the computer (single wall switch for both)? Then sleepout could connect
    using own modem if house moden not connecting.
     
    Charlie G, Apr 28, 2006
    #9
  10. Vista

    shannon Guest

    Charlie G wrote:
    > I tried to find a solution to this issue, but had no luck. It seems it
    > can't be done.
    >
    > In case any whizz here can offer a solution, here is the scenario.
    >
    > Son moves back home to sleepout - has own (telecom) supplied modem. Telecom
    > broadband connected to computer in the house, and network cable to sleepout.
    >
    > So far so good - extra card in house computer & broadband up & running to
    > sleeput.
    >
    > Trouble is, neither house nor sleepout want to live with constant noise of
    > computer 24/7 so other can use imternet. Neither wants to trapse in (or
    > out) when other has computer off, just to habe the comvemiance (?) of
    > broadband.
    >
    > The sleepout has a phonejack.
    >
    > Since it doesn't seem possible for each to use theri own modens
    > concurrently, would it be possible to install an extra network card in the
    > sleepout machine, and ask the house to turn off the modem at the same time
    > as the computer (single wall switch for both)? Then sleepout could connect
    > using own modem if house moden not connecting.
    >
    >
    >


    All you need is a router plugged into the ethernet port of the adsl modem.
    Routers are silent and do the same job as the internet sharing of your
    PC. They are set up by accessing them as a web page.
    Here is one that will do the job
    http://www.ascent.co.nz/ProductSpecification.aspx?ItemID=342023
     
    shannon, Apr 28, 2006
    #10
  11. Vista

    stevesub Guest

    Go wireless on both PC's - way to go and share the line. We now have 5
    PC's in our house sharing the one ADSL connection.
     
    stevesub, Apr 28, 2006
    #11
  12. Vista

    Charlie G Guest

    "shannon" <> wrote in message news:4451c60f$...
    > Charlie G wrote:
    >> I tried to find a solution to this issue, but had no luck. It seems it
    >> can't be done.
    >>
    >> In case any whizz here can offer a solution, here is the scenario.
    >>
    >> Son moves back home to sleepout - has own (telecom) supplied modem.
    >> Telecom broadband connected to computer in the house, and network cable
    >> to sleepout.
    >>
    >> So far so good - extra card in house computer & broadband up & running to
    >> sleeput.
    >>
    >> Trouble is, neither house nor sleepout want to live with constant noise
    >> of computer 24/7 so other can use imternet. Neither wants to trapse in
    >> (or out) when other has computer off, just to habe the comvemiance (?) of
    >> broadband.
    >>
    >> The sleepout has a phonejack.
    >>
    >> Since it doesn't seem possible for each to use theri own modens
    >> concurrently, would it be possible to install an extra network card in
    >> the sleepout machine, and ask the house to turn off the modem at the same
    >> time as the computer (single wall switch for both)? Then sleepout could
    >> connect using own modem if house moden not connecting.
    >>
    >>
    >>

    >
    > All you need is a router plugged into the ethernet port of the adsl modem.
    > Routers are silent and do the same job as the internet sharing of your PC.
    > They are set up by accessing them as a web page.
    > Here is one that will do the job
    > http://www.ascent.co.nz/ProductSpecification.aspx?ItemID=342023



    Thanks Guys - I suggested both this & wireless - unfortunately they dont
    want to buy any other stuff than they already have -so I suggested if they
    are that tight then do the walk in the cold and the rain...
    Thanks for the imput tho'

    Charlie G
     
    Charlie G, Apr 28, 2006
    #12
  13. Vista

    EMB Guest

    Brett wrote:
    > if I have two phonelines, could i then have two adsl modems bonding?
    >


    Get them bonding well enough and you'll have wee baby modems all over
    the place in 3 weeks time too. ;-)

    What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

    --
    EMB
     
    EMB, Apr 28, 2006
    #13
  14. Vista

    shannon Guest

    Charlie G wrote:
    > "shannon" <> wrote in message news:4451c60f$...
    >> Charlie G wrote:
    >>> I tried to find a solution to this issue, but had no luck. It seems it
    >>> can't be done.
    >>>
    >>> In case any whizz here can offer a solution, here is the scenario.
    >>>
    >>> Son moves back home to sleepout - has own (telecom) supplied modem.
    >>> Telecom broadband connected to computer in the house, and network cable
    >>> to sleepout.
    >>>
    >>> So far so good - extra card in house computer & broadband up & running to
    >>> sleeput.
    >>>
    >>> Trouble is, neither house nor sleepout want to live with constant noise
    >>> of computer 24/7 so other can use imternet. Neither wants to trapse in
    >>> (or out) when other has computer off, just to habe the comvemiance (?) of
    >>> broadband.
    >>>
    >>> The sleepout has a phonejack.
    >>>
    >>> Since it doesn't seem possible for each to use theri own modens
    >>> concurrently, would it be possible to install an extra network card in
    >>> the sleepout machine, and ask the house to turn off the modem at the same
    >>> time as the computer (single wall switch for both)? Then sleepout could
    >>> connect using own modem if house moden not connecting.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>

    >> All you need is a router plugged into the ethernet port of the adsl modem.
    >> Routers are silent and do the same job as the internet sharing of your PC.
    >> They are set up by accessing them as a web page.
    >> Here is one that will do the job
    >> http://www.ascent.co.nz/ProductSpecification.aspx?ItemID=342023

    >
    >
    > Thanks Guys - I suggested both this & wireless - unfortunately they dont
    > want to buy any other stuff than they already have -so I suggested if they
    > are that tight then do the walk in the cold and the rain...
    > Thanks for the imput tho'
    >
    > Charlie G
    >
    >

    You might have another option with the telecom adsl box, if it is the
    Dlink 302 one I am thinking of it has a usb interface and an ethernet
    interface and I believe it is possible to use them simultaneously, so
    use the ethernet for the remote computer and the usb for the local.
     
    shannon, Apr 28, 2006
    #14
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. This Old Man
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    700
    This Old Man
    Oct 20, 2003
  2. ZaMir
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    494
    ZaMir
    Jan 30, 2005
  3. Iain  Cheyne

    Can you use two ADSL modems in the same house?

    Iain Cheyne, Apr 23, 2006, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    9
    Views:
    1,999
    Barry OGrady
    Apr 24, 2006
  4. Bob Jones

    Two modems on one cable Internet line?

    Bob Jones, Dec 16, 2006, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    7,428
    Ralph Wade Phillips
    Dec 18, 2006
  5. Harry

    2 ADSL modems on same line?

    Harry, May 26, 2005, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    1,753
    Gordon
    May 27, 2005
Loading...

Share This Page