    connect it permanently to both my Mac and my PC but this model only
    works via USB - I tried two print servers and both failed with it
    under OS X.)

    Hilarious, Aug 24, 2009

  2. Hilarious

    Mike Easter Guest

    Hilarious wrote:
    > Is it electrically possible to connect - and use - two machines by USB
    > to the same printer? Assuming used strictly one-at-a-time so no
    > spooling needed?

    The most 'efficient' way is by 'sneaker net' -- manually (dis-re)connect
    the computer you want to use to the printer.

    > (I have a Canon LBP5000 colour laser printer that I have only recently
    > got to work under Mac OSX, my main platform. Before now, any such
    > printing had to be sent from XP in Virtualbox to get to it. I want to
    > connect it permanently to both my Mac and my PC but this model only
    > works via USB - I tried two print servers and both failed with it
    > under OS X.)

    The next most efficient way would be to have the two boxen networked and
    sharing the printer. That circumstance would leave the printer
    connected to one computer and require that it be 'up' on the network for
    any printing.

    The next would require an additional hardware, a USB hub connecting the
    printer to both boxen and then you would switch at the hub.

    From usb.org faq http://www.usb.org/about/faq/ans5/ USB Cables,
    Connectors, and Networking with USB Q9: Is there any way for two PCs
    to share a USB printer or some other peripheral?
    A9: At the moment, the simplest and best solution is just to plug the
    printer into whatever PC needs to use it. You can make this somewhat
    easier by plugging any peripherals you want to share into a hub, and
    running cables from the PCs to the hub, so all you have to do is change
    which PC the hub is plugged into.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Aug 24, 2009

  3. Hilarious

    NotMe Guest

    :
    : (I have a Canon LBP5000 colour laser printer that I have only recently
    : got to work under Mac OSX, my main platform. Before now, any such
    : printing had to be sent from XP in Virtualbox to get to it. I want to
    : connect it permanently to both my Mac and my PC but this model only
    : works via USB - I tried two print servers and both failed with it
    : under OS X.)

    We've been doing that for years on various EPSON printers.

    One of these days I'll get around to setting up network sharing.

    NotMe, Aug 24, 2009