    anyone please let me know why does my PC show two networks? Could the
    other one belong to someone else live on the same street?

    Any comments/suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank you.
    silkphoenix, Feb 5, 2005

  2. The other one is most likely someone who lives nearby, and your computer can
    accessing that router as well. I disagree that you should just "use the
    default" because if your computer is not set up correctly, your default
    router could belong to someone else. I suggest you call your internet
    service provider to set the profile using your IP address. Also, you should
    definitely "secure" your network with a password, or else any one of your
    neighbors could be accessing the internet using your router!!
    I hope this helps!

    =?Utf-8?B?RWxsZW4=?=, Feb 5, 2005

  3. I would recommend these steps:

    Do not accept the default or a well known local landmark or street name
    setting as anyone nearby with a wireless device can also use your internet
    access, as you have already observed the use of a Street Name for one of your
    neighbour's Access Point. Set your SSID to a meaningful name use your
    Business Name. For work-group name use ‘Wireless’ and a wireless channel
    select from 1 – 11, I recommend you use a higher channel as default settings
    usually select the lower end. Keep these consistent for all of your
    machines.

    Security
    For additional security you can and should use Wired Equivalent Privacy
    (WEP) algorithm: and set this at 64bit: you can then choose a combination of
    10 hexadecimal characters [0-9 + A-F], again for this may I recommend you
    select your mobile phone number as it is 10 characters long and not known to
    all your neighbours.

    Additionally you can set the Access Point to only allow access to specific
    units, where you would enter their MAC address, again a series of Hex
    numbers, usually found on the Wireless Card plugged into the Laptops or other
    desktop PCs.

    =?Utf-8?B?QkFS?=, Feb 5, 2005
  4. silkphoenix

    hatespam Guest

    Since we're talking neighbors here and you ask for suggestions, you
    might want to use your phone number as SSID. That way if a neighbor
    wants to use some of your bandwidth, they can just call and ask if it's
    OK. If so, give them the password. Better than leaving your AP open -
    and still "neighborly."

    hatespam, Feb 5, 2005
  5. silkphoenix

    Jack Guest

    Hi
    If another Wireless Signal is propagating in your reception area it might
    appear in your available Wireless Network. Nothing is wrong with this that
    is the way Wireless technology works (the Air around us does not
    discriminate among signals).
    Using the measures of security is the step to insure that others can not use
    your signal, and vice versa.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Feb 5, 2005