Two AS5300 Questions

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Matt, Jul 9, 2003.

  1. Matt

    Matt Guest

    #1 I am looking to upgrade my as5300's to V.90. I see however that
    you need to upgrade to a fairly new IOS. This IOS appears to need
    128+ MB of RAM. What is the maximum amount of ram that an as5300 can
    hold? I have not seen it listed anywhere on the web or Cisco's
    website.

    #2 Last night our T1 lines got saturated for about 3 minutes. I
    traced that problem back to our as5300's. We have 2 as5800's and 2
    as5300's (the 5300s are leftovers from a while ago). Anyway... the
    as5300's were pulling upwards of 14mbits/s INTO them. Unfortunately
    I don't know what the data was or why they were pulling it. But,
    when I reloaded them the data pull went away. Any ideas on this one?
    I've actually seen this happen once before along time ago, and a
    reload also fixed it then. But I'm looking for a reason that it
    happened.

    Matt, Jul 9, 2003

  2. Matt

    Pavlov Guest

    >#1 I am looking to upgrade my as5300's to V.90. I see however that
    >you need to upgrade to a fairly new IOS. This IOS appears to need
    >128+ MB of RAM. What is the maximum amount of ram that an as5300 can
    >hold? I have not seen it listed anywhere on the web or Cisco's
    >website.

    Not true at all. Are you going to be doing plain vanilla v.90 with IP
    services only? For the most part, the AS5300 is not being made as of
    last year and will not have any more support after Dec, 2007 if I am
    not mistaken. Max ram is 128MB but you can run just fine with 64MB &
    16MB flash. I recommend the newest IOS 12.2(17a) and 2.9.4.0 firmware
    if you just want stability and most bugs fixed.

    >#2 Last night our T1 lines got saturated for about 3 minutes. I
    >traced that problem back to our as5300's. We have 2 as5800's and 2
    >as5300's (the 5300s are leftovers from a while ago). Anyway... the
    >as5300's were pulling upwards of 14mbits/s INTO them. Unfortunately
    >I don't know what the data was or why they were pulling it. But,
    >when I reloaded them the data pull went away. Any ideas on this one?
    > I've actually seen this happen once before along time ago, and a
    >reload also fixed it then. But I'm looking for a reason that it
    >happened.

    Not sure what your saturation could have been. Give me some info on
    your 5300s in the way of IOS. It may be an anomaly or bug manifesting
    itself.

    Pavlov, Jul 9, 2003