Two ADSL accounts on one line

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Chris Hope, Dec 13, 2005.

  1. Chris Hope

    Chris Hope Guest

    Allistar wrote:

    > Hi all,
    > I'm with Paradise (aka TelstraClear) on their 10Gb, 2Mb/s ADSL plan.
    > I'm
    > part wy through the month and just received an email saying that I
    > have used 80% of my 10Gb allowance, after which it will be throttled
    > back to 64kb/s.
    >
    > I don't want to pay $18.50 per Gb above my 10Gb cap (that's
    > ridiculously
    > expensive and a completely unjustified price).
    >
    > You'd think there'd be no problem with paying twice as much for my
    > plan
    > and getting a 20Gb cap instead, right? No one (TelstraClear or
    > Telecom) will lose out from this. Yet they can't do it. I think that's
    > the pits.
    >
    > So what I would like to do is pay for 2 separate accounts, and when
    > account 1 reaches the 10Gb cap I change my router to use account 2.
    > This is essentially what I want (twice the price, twice the cap) but a
    > blimmin' awkward way of going about it.
    >
    > Does any of you do this already?

    When I moved from IHUG to Orcon the IHUG account wasn't disconnected
    until the end of the month, even though my Orcon account started fairly
    early in the month. I was able to freely change between the two by
    changing the router login, so this should be possible for you to do on
    an ongoing basis.

    Allistar, Dec 13, 2005

  3. Chris Hope

    Krazy Bob Guest

    "Allistar" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Hi all,
    > I'm with Paradise (aka TelstraClear) on their 10Gb, 2Mb/s ADSL plan. I'm
    > part wy through the month and just received an email saying that I have
    > used 80% of my 10Gb allowance, after which it will be throttled back to
    > 64kb/s.
    >
    > I don't want to pay $18.50 per Gb above my 10Gb cap (that's ridiculously
    > expensive and a completely unjustified price).
    >
    > You'd think there'd be no problem with paying twice as much for my plan
    > and getting a 20Gb cap instead, right? No one (TelstraClear or Telecom)
    > will lose out from this. Yet they can't do it. I think that's the pits.
    >
    > So what I would like to do is pay for 2 separate accounts, and when
    > account 1 reaches the 10Gb cap I change my router to use account 2. This
    > is
    > essentially what I want (twice the price, twice the cap) but a blimmin'
    > awkward way of going about it.
    >
    > Does any of you do this already?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Allistar.

    Have never thought of this.
    I guess in theory, if you re-write the rom in your router to pass on your
    user name and password to account #2 you shouldn't be charged through
    account #1

    The only problem i see having is the phone line, they ask which line you'll
    like adsl set up on, and maybe telecom setup your line different to what
    paradise do, i don't know

    KB

    Krazy Bob, Dec 13, 2005
  4. Chris Hope

    Mutlley Guest

    "Krazy Bob" <> wrote:

    >"Allistar" <> wrote in message news:...
    >> Hi all,
    >> I'm with Paradise (aka TelstraClear) on their 10Gb, 2Mb/s ADSL plan. I'm
    >> part wy through the month and just received an email saying that I have
    >> used 80% of my 10Gb allowance, after which it will be throttled back to
    >> 64kb/s.
    >>
    >> I don't want to pay $18.50 per Gb above my 10Gb cap (that's ridiculously
    >> expensive and a completely unjustified price).
    >>
    >> You'd think there'd be no problem with paying twice as much for my plan
    >> and getting a 20Gb cap instead, right? No one (TelstraClear or Telecom)
    >> will lose out from this. Yet they can't do it. I think that's the pits.
    >>
    >> So what I would like to do is pay for 2 separate accounts, and when
    >> account 1 reaches the 10Gb cap I change my router to use account 2. This
    >> is
    >> essentially what I want (twice the price, twice the cap) but a blimmin'
    >> awkward way of going about it.
    >>
    >> Does any of you do this already?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Allistar.

    >Have never thought of this.
    >I guess in theory, if you re-write the rom in your router to pass on your
    >user name and password to account #2 you shouldn't be charged through
    >account #1
    >
    >The only problem i see having is the phone line, they ask which line you'll
    >like adsl set up on, and maybe telecom setup your line different to what
    >paradise do, i don't know
    >
    >KB

    While I was switching from Xtra to Orcon I was able to log into
    either one and that one. So until my limit with Xtra had been
    reached I was with then . I then shut down the Xtra connection and
    logged in again with Orcon.. and visa versa until the Xtra account
    finished..

    Mutlley, Dec 13, 2005
  5. Chris Hope

    Invisible Guest

    On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 11:49:08 +1300, Allistar <> wrote:

    >Hi all,
    > I'm with Paradise (aka TelstraClear) on their 10Gb, 2Mb/s ADSL plan. I'm
    >part wy through the month and just received an email saying that I have
    >used 80% of my 10Gb allowance, after which it will be throttled back to
    >64kb/s.
    >
    > I don't want to pay $18.50 per Gb above my 10Gb cap (that's ridiculously
    >expensive and a completely unjustified price).
    >
    > You'd think there'd be no problem with paying twice as much for my plan
    >and getting a 20Gb cap instead, right? No one (TelstraClear or Telecom)
    >will lose out from this. Yet they can't do it. I think that's the pits.
    >
    > So what I would like to do is pay for 2 separate accounts, and when
    >account 1 reaches the 10Gb cap I change my router to use account 2. This is
    >essentially what I want (twice the price, twice the cap) but a blimmin'
    >awkward way of going about it.
    >
    > Does any of you do this already?

    Is your phone line rental through TelstraClear? I got this in an email when my
    Paradise ADSL was activated:

    "if you use another ISP other than paradise.net for high speed internet
    services, you will be charged for any traffic use via this ISP at 20c per
    megabyte, even if this is within the monthly allocated traffic allowance for
    your plan."

    Invisible, Dec 13, 2005
  6. Chris Hope

    Krazy Bob Guest

    "Mutlley" <> wrote in message
    > "Krazy Bob" <> wrote:
    >

    >>"Allistar" <> wrote in message news:...
    >>> Hi all,
    >>> I'm with Paradise (aka TelstraClear) on their 10Gb, 2Mb/s ADSL plan.
    >>> I'm
    >>> part wy through the month and just received an email saying that I have
    >>> used 80% of my 10Gb allowance, after which it will be throttled back to
    >>> 64kb/s.
    >>>
    >>> I don't want to pay $18.50 per Gb above my 10Gb cap (that's
    >>> ridiculously
    >>> expensive and a completely unjustified price).
    >>>
    >>> You'd think there'd be no problem with paying twice as much for my plan
    >>> and getting a 20Gb cap instead, right? No one (TelstraClear or Telecom)
    >>> will lose out from this. Yet they can't do it. I think that's the pits.
    >>>
    >>> So what I would like to do is pay for 2 separate accounts, and when
    >>> account 1 reaches the 10Gb cap I change my router to use account 2. This
    >>> is
    >>> essentially what I want (twice the price, twice the cap) but a blimmin'
    >>> awkward way of going about it.
    >>>
    >>> Does any of you do this already?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Allistar.

    >>Have never thought of this.
    >>I guess in theory, if you re-write the rom in your router to pass on your
    >>user name and password to account #2 you shouldn't be charged through
    >>account #1
    >>
    >>The only problem i see having is the phone line, they ask which line
    >>you'll
    >>like adsl set up on, and maybe telecom setup your line different to what
    >>paradise do, i don't know
    >>
    >>KB
    >>

    > While I was switching from Xtra to Orcon I was able to log into
    > either one and that one. So until my limit with Xtra had been
    > reached I was with then . I then shut down the Xtra connection and
    > logged in again with Orcon.. and visa versa until the Xtra account
    > finished..

    did you notice any speed difference going between the two?

    Krazy Bob, Dec 13, 2005
  7. "Allistar" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Hi all,
    > I'm with Paradise (aka TelstraClear) on their 10Gb, 2Mb/s ADSL plan. I'm
    > part wy through the month and just received an email saying that I have
    > used 80% of my 10Gb allowance, after which it will be throttled back to
    > 64kb/s.
    >
    > I don't want to pay $18.50 per Gb above my 10Gb cap (that's ridiculously
    > expensive and a completely unjustified price).
    >
    > You'd think there'd be no problem with paying twice as much for my plan
    > and getting a 20Gb cap instead, right? No one (TelstraClear or Telecom)
    > will lose out from this. Yet they can't do it. I think that's the pits.
    >
    > So what I would like to do is pay for 2 separate accounts, and when
    > account 1 reaches the 10Gb cap I change my router to use account 2. This
    > is
    > essentially what I want (twice the price, twice the cap) but a blimmin'
    > awkward way of going about it.
    >
    > Does any of you do this already?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Allistar.

    Very lateral thinking . Firstly It goes to prove xtras pricing model is
    shit. Any economic argument by telecom about the cost of the southern cross
    cable is sunk.

    I wonder , if they accumulate usage by the sign-on, or, by the line. Do they
    allow you to sign on as different xtra jetstream users on the same line?
    Then, does usage accumulate to the signed in user, or to the user associated
    with the line.

    I would think, they try to link the adsl with the line purely from a
    provisioning point of view. So, if you ring them for support, they can
    find your adsl installation by querying your phone number.

    news.xtra.co.nz, Dec 13, 2005
  8. Chris Hope

    Allistar Guest

    Invisible wrote:

    > On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 11:49:08 +1300, Allistar <> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi all,
    >> I'm with Paradise (aka TelstraClear) on their 10Gb, 2Mb/s ADSL plan. I'm
    >>part wy through the month and just received an email saying that I have
    >>used 80% of my 10Gb allowance, after which it will be throttled back to
    >>64kb/s.
    >>
    >> I don't want to pay $18.50 per Gb above my 10Gb cap (that's ridiculously
    >>expensive and a completely unjustified price).
    >>
    >> You'd think there'd be no problem with paying twice as much for my plan
    >>and getting a 20Gb cap instead, right? No one (TelstraClear or Telecom)
    >>will lose out from this. Yet they can't do it. I think that's the pits.
    >>
    >> So what I would like to do is pay for 2 separate accounts, and when
    >>account 1 reaches the 10Gb cap I change my router to use account 2. This
    >>is essentially what I want (twice the price, twice the cap) but a blimmin'
    >>awkward way of going about it.
    >>
    >> Does any of you do this already?

    > Is your phone line rental through TelstraClear? I got this in an email
    > when my Paradise ADSL was activated:
    >
    > "if you use another ISP other than paradise.net for high speed internet
    > services, you will be charged for any traffic use via this ISP at 20c per
    > megabyte, even if this is within the monthly allocated traffic allowance
    > for your plan."

    Yeah, I use TelstraClear for all phone rental as well.

    I see no technical reason why I can't have two accounts, as long as the
    TelstraClear billing/accounts system can handle it. The trick is with
    allowing 2 ADSL accounts on one phone number. We have two lines coming into
    this house but I don't want to pay for another line rental just for another
    ADSL account.

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Dec 13, 2005
  9. Chris Hope

    Allistar Guest

    news.xtra.co.nz wrote:

    > "Allistar" <> wrote in message news:...
    >> Hi all,
    >> I'm with Paradise (aka TelstraClear) on their 10Gb, 2Mb/s ADSL plan. I'm
    >> part wy through the month and just received an email saying that I have
    >> used 80% of my 10Gb allowance, after which it will be throttled back to
    >> 64kb/s.
    >>
    >> I don't want to pay $18.50 per Gb above my 10Gb cap (that's ridiculously
    >> expensive and a completely unjustified price).
    >>
    >> You'd think there'd be no problem with paying twice as much for my plan
    >> and getting a 20Gb cap instead, right? No one (TelstraClear or Telecom)
    >> will lose out from this. Yet they can't do it. I think that's the pits.
    >>
    >> So what I would like to do is pay for 2 separate accounts, and when
    >> account 1 reaches the 10Gb cap I change my router to use account 2. This
    >> is
    >> essentially what I want (twice the price, twice the cap) but a blimmin'
    >> awkward way of going about it.
    >>
    >> Does any of you do this already?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Allistar.

    > Very lateral thinking . Firstly It goes to prove xtras pricing model is
    > shit. Any economic argument by telecom about the cost of the southern
    > cross cable is sunk.

    The thing that surprises me is that I am willing to pay twice the price for
    twice the cap. They can't though because Telecom has decided that such
    plans shouldn't be made available. WTF? Why? It doesn't cost them any more
    so I can't see the problem.

    > I wonder , if they accumulate usage by the sign-on, or, by the line. Do
    > they allow you to sign on as different xtra jetstream users on the same
    > line? Then, does usage accumulate to the signed in user, or to the user
    > associated with the line.

    I'd expect it to be for the sign-on, although the throttling is probably an
    exchange function, which is per phone line I'd imagine.

    > I would think, they try to link the adsl with the line purely from a
    > provisioning point of view. So, if you ring them for support, they can
    > find your adsl installation by querying your phone number.

    I think I'll see whather they have the technology to throttle the
    connection. Can anyone confirm that they can do this yet?

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Dec 13, 2005
  10. Chris Hope

    JohnO Guest

    Allistar wrote:
    > Hi all,
    > I'm with Paradise (aka TelstraClear) on their 10Gb, 2Mb/s ADSL plan. I'm
    > part wy through the month and just received an email saying that I have
    > used 80% of my 10Gb allowance, after which it will be throttled back to
    > 64kb/s.
    >
    > I don't want to pay $18.50 per Gb above my 10Gb cap (that's ridiculously
    > expensive and a completely unjustified price).
    >
    > You'd think there'd be no problem with paying twice as much for my plan
    > and getting a 20Gb cap instead, right? No one (TelstraClear or Telecom)
    > will lose out from this. Yet they can't do it. I think that's the pits.
    >
    > So what I would like to do is pay for 2 separate accounts, and when
    > account 1 reaches the 10Gb cap I change my router to use account 2. This is
    > essentially what I want (twice the price, twice the cap) but a blimmin'
    > awkward way of going about it.
    >
    > Does any of you do this already?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Allistar.

    How about getting a second phone line installed and putting a different
    ADSL account on that?

    Then, if you had a smart router, you could use both at once to double
    the throughput and aggregate the caps!

    JohnO, Dec 14, 2005
  11. Chris Hope

    Allistar Guest

    JohnO wrote:

    > Allistar wrote:
    >> Hi all,
    >> I'm with Paradise (aka TelstraClear) on their 10Gb, 2Mb/s ADSL plan.
    >> I'm
    >> part wy through the month and just received an email saying that I have
    >> used 80% of my 10Gb allowance, after which it will be throttled back to
    >> 64kb/s.
    >>
    >> I don't want to pay $18.50 per Gb above my 10Gb cap (that's
    >> ridiculously
    >> expensive and a completely unjustified price).
    >>
    >> You'd think there'd be no problem with paying twice as much for my plan
    >> and getting a 20Gb cap instead, right? No one (TelstraClear or Telecom)
    >> will lose out from this. Yet they can't do it. I think that's the pits.
    >>
    >> So what I would like to do is pay for 2 separate accounts, and when
    >> account 1 reaches the 10Gb cap I change my router to use account 2. This
    >> is essentially what I want (twice the price, twice the cap) but a
    >> blimmin' awkward way of going about it.
    >>
    >> Does any of you do this already?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Allistar.

    > How about getting a second phone line installed and putting a different
    > ADSL account on that?
    >
    > Then, if you had a smart router, you could use both at once to double
    > the throughput and aggregate the caps!

    I don't really want to pay the additional line rental solely for aoth 10Gb
    at $69.95 per month.

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Dec 14, 2005
  12. Chris Hope

    MarkH Guest

    Allistar <> wrote in news::

    > Hi all,
    > I'm with Paradise (aka TelstraClear) on their 10Gb, 2Mb/s ADSL plan.
    > I'm
    > part wy through the month and just received an email saying that I
    > have used 80% of my 10Gb allowance, after which it will be throttled
    > back to 64kb/s.
    >
    > I don't want to pay $18.50 per Gb above my 10Gb cap (that's
    > ridiculously
    > expensive and a completely unjustified price).
    >
    > You'd think there'd be no problem with paying twice as much for my
    > plan
    > and getting a 20Gb cap instead, right? No one (TelstraClear or
    > Telecom) will lose out from this. Yet they can't do it. I think that's
    > the pits.
    >
    > So what I would like to do is pay for 2 separate accounts, and when
    > account 1 reaches the 10Gb cap I change my router to use account 2.
    > This is essentially what I want (twice the price, twice the cap) but a
    > blimmin' awkward way of going about it.
    >
    > Does any of you do this already?

    This shouldn't be a problem and I am certain that it is technically
    possible. However so is paying more and having more cap. Unfortunately
    Telecom are jerks.

    Most people would simply change to an ISP that lets them use more than
    10GB. Orcon, IHUG and Slingshot all allow more than 10GB per month for
    cheaper than twice the price of 10GB per month.

    I would suggest moving your business to another ISP and letting
    TelstraClear know that it is because of the 10GB limit. The more customers
    that do this the more the ISPs and Telecom get the message that they need
    to offer more service to their customers.

    I am with Orcon and find the performance good for FTP, HTTP and NNTP. The
    performance with file sharing is VERY poor. I don't game online so I do
    not know how well that is working at present. Perhaps some IHUG and
    Slingshot customers could let us know how good their performance is?

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade

    MarkH, Dec 14, 2005
  13. > I am with Orcon and find the performance good for FTP, HTTP and NNTP. The
    > performance with file sharing is VERY poor. I don't game online so I do
    > not know how well that is working at present. Perhaps some IHUG and
    > Slingshot customers could let us know how good their performance is?

    I have commented on nz.comp a number of times.. but no one from other ISP's
    have ever commented on how these ISP's are with UBS..

    Thanks
    Talking for Myself

    Craig Whitmore, Dec 14, 2005
  14. Chris Hope

    Mutlley Guest

    "Krazy Bob" <> wrote:

    >"Mutlley" <> wrote in message

    >>>Have never thought of this.
    >>>I guess in theory, if you re-write the rom in your router to pass on your
    >>>user name and password to account #2 you shouldn't be charged through
    >>>account #1
    >>>
    >>>The only problem i see having is the phone line, they ask which line
    >>>you'll
    >>>like adsl set up on, and maybe telecom setup your line different to what
    >>>paradise do, i don't know
    >>>
    >>>KB
    >>>

    >> While I was switching from Xtra to Orcon I was able to log into
    >> either one and that one. So until my limit with Xtra had been
    >> reached I was with then . I then shut down the Xtra connection and
    >> logged in again with Orcon.. and visa versa until the Xtra account
    >> finished..

    >did you notice any speed difference going between the two?

    Not at that time as both were 128k

    Mutlley, Dec 14, 2005
  15. Chris Hope

    MarkH Guest

    Mutlley <> wrote in

    > "Krazy Bob" <> wrote:
    >

    >>"Mutlley" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> While I was switching from Xtra to Orcon I was able to log into
    >>> either one and that one. So until my limit with Xtra had been
    >>> reached I was with then . I then shut down the Xtra connection and
    >>> logged in again with Orcon.. and visa versa until the Xtra account
    >>> finished..

    >>did you notice any speed difference going between the two?
    >>

    > Not at that time as both were 128k

    It would seem that you are not talking about Bitstream at all. With the
    Jetstart (AKA Jetstream Starter) Telecom provided the ADSL connection for
    $29.95 per month with no limit except for the 128k/128k speed restriction.
    Through that connection you could log in with any ISP that allowed
    connections with Jetstart. I had 2 accounts (1 Xtra & 1 IHUG for a couple
    of months then 2 IHUG accounts) for quite a while and would simply change
    the login and password at the middle of each month.

    I have no idea of whether it is possible to do the same thing with
    Bitstream, but I suspect that you can't.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade

    MarkH, Dec 14, 2005
  16. Chris Hope

    EMB Guest

    MarkH wrote:

    > It would seem that you are not talking about Bitstream at all. With the
    > Jetstart (AKA Jetstream Starter) Telecom provided the ADSL connection for
    > $29.95 per month with no limit except for the 128k/128k speed restriction.
    > Through that connection you could log in with any ISP that allowed
    > connections with Jetstart. I had 2 accounts (1 Xtra & 1 IHUG for a couple
    > of months then 2 IHUG accounts) for quite a while and would simply change
    > the login and password at the middle of each month.
    >
    > I have no idea of whether it is possible to do the same thing with
    > Bitstream, but I suspect that you can't.

    Both accounts would have to be with the same ISP as UBS connections only
    connect to one ISP's auth server.

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Dec 14, 2005
  17. Chris Hope

    Chris Hope Guest

    EMB wrote:

    > MarkH wrote:
    >>
    >> It would seem that you are not talking about Bitstream at all. With
    >> the Jetstart (AKA Jetstream Starter) Telecom provided the ADSL
    >> connection for $29.95 per month with no limit except for the
    >> 128k/128k speed restriction. Through that connection you could log in
    >> with any ISP that allowed
    >> connections with Jetstart. I had 2 accounts (1 Xtra & 1 IHUG for a
    >> couple of months then 2 IHUG accounts) for quite a while and would
    >> simply change the login and password at the middle of each month.
    >>
    >> I have no idea of whether it is possible to do the same thing with
    >> Bitstream, but I suspect that you can't.

    > Both accounts would have to be with the same ISP as UBS connections
    > only connect to one ISP's auth server.

    As I already posted earlier on today, when I moved from IHUG to Orcon I
    had two active accounts and could log into both of them. That *was*
    using UBS. (Forgot to mention that this morning though).

    Chris Hope, Dec 14, 2005

  18. > As I already posted earlier on today, when I moved from IHUG to Orcon I
    > had two active accounts and could log into both of them. That *was*
    > using UBS. (Forgot to mention that this morning though).

    UBS or I-UBS??? There is/was a BIG difference between them and yes if you
    where on I-UBS then connecting to IHUG or Orcon using different
    login/passwords would of worked.

    If it really was UBS then using your ORCON/IHUG login at the same time (you
    know what I mean) would not of worked at all. (Unless the username/password
    of ORCON/IHUG was the same and ihug ignored the realm)

    Thanks
    Craig

    Craig Whitmore, Dec 14, 2005
  19. Chris Hope

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 16:04:07 +1300, "Craig Whitmore" <>
    wrote:

    >> I am with Orcon and find the performance good for FTP, HTTP and NNTP. The
    >> performance with file sharing is VERY poor. I don't game online so I do
    >> not know how well that is working at present. Perhaps some IHUG and
    >> Slingshot customers could let us know how good their performance is?

    >I have commented on nz.comp a number of times.. but no one from other ISP's
    >have ever commented on how these ISP's are with UBS..

    ihug is fine for bittorrent p2p

    Craig Shore, Dec 14, 2005
  20. Chris Hope

    Peter Guest

    Allistar wrote:

    > Hi all,
    > I'm with Paradise (aka TelstraClear) on their 10Gb, 2Mb/s ADSL plan. I'm
    > part wy through the month and just received an email saying that I have
    > used 80% of my 10Gb allowance, after which it will be throttled back to
    > 64kb/s.
    >
    > I don't want to pay $18.50 per Gb above my 10Gb cap (that's ridiculously
    > expensive and a completely unjustified price).

    No sane company charges an incremental price for its products and services
    that is greater than the pro rata base price. You can draw your own
    conclusions.

    TelstraClear must be starting to have a significant portion of 'grudge'
    customers, like its Aussie parent.

    Peter, Dec 14, 2005