    XP and I am wondering if THIS is what is preventing me from file sharing
    between the two computers with the same name.

    MR

    Maria Ripanykhazova, Oct 18, 2004

  2. Maria Ripanykhazova wrote:

    > Sorry if this obvious question has been asked a million times before
    > but I have a wifi network and users on each computer called
    > administrators (by default) on each computer within the network who
    > need to make changes/add/configure software on their computers. A
    > windows 2000 account has the name administrator and an XP box also
    > has administrator privileges on its computer. By default it has the
    > name administrator. I am also aware of another account I cant seem
    > to delete or rename on this computer which I thought might be an
    > administrator account but Administrator seems to be the administrator
    > account for this computer)
    >
    > I now get an error message telling me that I have a duplicate name on
    > the network but I don't seem to be able to change the administrator
    > name on the XP and I am wondering if THIS is what is preventing me
    > from file sharing between the two computers with the same name.
    >
    > MR

    The message about duplicate names has nothing to do with user acccount.
    You have two or more computers with the same name, that is not allowed.
    Change the name of one of the computers and the message will go away.

    Ken Bramlette, Oct 18, 2004

  3. So this isn't what is preventing me from sharing files (or even seeing each
    other) between two computers on my wifi network on which I have set it up to
    file share through the TCP/IP settings in networking? Then how do I change
    the name of a computer? I searched the Help files and it couldn't find
    anything on this. Is this something to do with TweakUI?

    Maria Ripanykhazova, Oct 18, 2004
  4. Hello

    Assuming you are using Wondows XP, go to Control Panel then to Performance
    et Maintenance, then System and there go to Computer Name.

    Earl Caravelle II, Oct 18, 2004