Two (2) PIX525's set for standard failover, but both show as "Secondary" units

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Brian, Aug 17, 2007.

  1. Brian

    Brian Guest

    I'm stuck! I'm trying (remotely) to correct a situation that cropped
    up on a pair of PIX525's that were configured for standard failover
    using the failover cable. Both have Unrestricted Active/Active
    licenses. IOS is version 7. Right now they both show as Secondary
    units instead of one as the Primary and one as the Secondary.

    Because they are both Secondary(ies), when you connect the failover
    cable back in place, they both go into the active mode (and this of
    course kills my network).

    The real secondary was borrowed for a short time to fill in on another
    network. It was just put back into it's proper hardware config and
    connect back up to the network. I'm monitoring this long distance as
    an onsite crew is doing the physical work.

    Now when the two units are up, they both show up as Secondary units.
    All I can figure is that the failover cable was initially reinstalled
    in reverse order and caused the primary to change to secondary.
    That's all I can figure. I've read everything I can find and can't
    find much.

    Is there anyone else that has come across this issue and has a quick
    solution for forcing the real Primary back to "Primary?" I can sure
    use some assistance on this one.

    Brian

    Brian, Aug 17, 2007

  2. "Brian" <> wrote in message

    > Is there anyone else that has come across this issue and has a quick
    > solution for forcing the real Primary back to "Primary?" I can sure
    > use some assistance on this one.

    hi

    The FO cable has a Primary end and a secondary end, which needs to match the
    Primary and sencondary PIX's.
    Also you can issue the command failover active and no failover active on the
    standby unit.

    I guess you need a active/standby senario ?
    More help can be proved if you post your cfg.

    HTH
    Martin

    Martin Bilgrav, Aug 17, 2007