    to mount his 20D on it. Anyone know a company that makes mounts?

    Any help is great.

    Thanks
    DAVID TENNYSON, Aug 26, 2005

  2. On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 18:35:33 +0100, "DAVID TENNYSON"
    <> wrote:

    >Hello
    >My brother, a birdwatcher has recently acquired a spotting scope. He'd like
    >to mount his 20D on it. Anyone know a company that makes mounts?

    He can't mount the scope directly on the 20D. He would need an adapter
    to mount to mount the spotting scope to one of his existing lenses but
    all he would get is a very slow lens with a fixed f no AF, no camera
    metering and a system which will vignette badly if not careful. I
    did this years ago with an 8X Zeiss monocular to a 50mm F2 Ziess
    Planar using a Ziess adapter to get a very compact f16 400mm lens and
    it wasn't worth it.

    He needs to buy a lens made for the camera.

    -James Nachtwey-
    http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/
    John A. Stovall, Aug 26, 2005

  3. DAVID TENNYSON

    Guest

    , Aug 26, 2005
  4. In message <430f52c6$>, DAVID TENNYSON
    <> writes
    >Hello
    >My brother, a birdwatcher has recently acquired a spotting scope. He'd like
    >to mount his 20D on it. Anyone know a company that makes mounts?

    What make is the scope? I know for a fact that Zeiss make a dedicated
    universal threaded adapter that attaches the scope to the camera body
    (not the camera lens) - I've tried one. I would imagine that the other
    big players such as Swarovski, Leica & Kowa would also offer similar
    adaptors.

    The main problem is focussing. Manual focussing is bad enough at the
    best of times but for a moving target such as a bird and very fine
    focussing required on a powerful scope, it's just a bit hit and miss.
    However if he already owns one of the top scopes it is possibly a good
    way to get high magnification at minimal extra cost. The adaptor I tried
    was around 250 UKP. You also need the Canon threaded adaptor ring (can't
    remember the special name for it) but that's only a few UKP/dollars.
    --
    Paul Flackett
    Paul Flackett, Aug 26, 2005