  1. TheDragon

    TheDragon Guest

    Does anyone know of one to connect to the two FXS ports on my router??

    TheDragon, Aug 22, 2007

  2. TheDragon

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "TheDragon" <> wrote in
    message news:
    : : Does anyone know of one to connect to the two FXS ports
    : : on my router??

    They do exist, but they're not cheap (£200+ IIRC). Don't have any details
    offhand but someone will be along.

    Does it *have* to be a DECT phone..? 2-line wired phones such as the BT
    Converse 2025 are a lot cheaper and work well, they even have a conference
    facility to connect the two lines together in a 3-way call.

    The other alternative is a small PBX.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Aug 22, 2007

  3. In article <>,
    TheDragon <> wrote:
    >Does anyone know of one to connect to the two FXS ports on my router??

    A different approach, but how about not using the FXS ports on your router
    (with 2 SIP accounts?) and getting a DECT basestation with Ethernet
    and 6 SIP accounts?

    ie. a Siemens S450IP..

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, Aug 22, 2007
  4. TheDragon

    Lurch Guest

    On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 18:41:16 +0300, "TheDragon"
    <> mused:

    >Does anyone know of one to connect to the two FXS ports on my router??

    Only one I know of OTTOMH is the DECTSys, but everyone tells me it's
    crap so I have never bothered fitting one. Last time I used a 2 line
    PBX and some Panasonic DECT phones instead. Price worked out at about
    the same, but te kit was better.
    --
    Regards,
    Stuart.

    Lurch, Aug 22, 2007
  5. TheDragon

    TheDragon Guest

    "Gordon Henderson" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > TheDragon <> wrote:
    >>Does anyone know of one to connect to the two FXS ports on my router??

    > A different approach, but how about not using the FXS ports on your router
    > (with 2 SIP accounts?) and getting a DECT basestation with Ethernet
    > and 6 SIP accounts?
    >
    > ie. a Siemens S450IP..
    >
    > Gordon

    Yes I have seen these, retailing around £89. But I bought a new router for
    its built in VoIP. I currently have a wired phone on the landline, and a
    DECT on one of the FXS ports. The wife is moaning she has to go downstairs
    to answer the landline, so wants a cordless. It was me that thought about a
    2 line DECT phone. Might be cheaper and better to get a PBX and do it that
    way. Or buy the wife a new DECT phone small enough to keep her happy?

    TheDragon, Aug 22, 2007
  6. TheDragon

    Graham. Guest

    "TheDragon" <> wrote in message
    > Does anyone know of one to connect to the two FXS ports on my router??

    I have two separate DECT kits plugged into the FXS ports of my PAP2 ATA
    (his and hers). Because they connect to two separate voxalot accounts, we
    can
    make internal calls between the handsets.

    --
    Graham.
    %Profound_observation%

    Graham., Aug 22, 2007
  7. TheDragon

    TheDragon Guest

    "Graham." <> wrote in message

    > "TheDragon" <> wrote in message
    >> Does anyone know of one to connect to the two FXS ports on my router??
    >>

    > I have two separate DECT kits plugged into the FXS ports of my PAP2 ATA
    > (his and hers). Because they connect to two separate voxalot accounts, we
    > can
    > make internal calls between the handsets.
    >
    > --
    > Graham.
    > %Profound_observation%

    This is the option I am probably going to go with, mainly due to cost and
    less equipment sat on the side for the wife to moan at me with.

    TheDragon, Aug 23, 2007
  8. TheDragon wrote:

    > Yes I have seen these, retailing around £89. But I bought a new router for
    > its built in VoIP. I currently have a wired phone on the landline, and a
    > DECT on one of the FXS ports. The wife is moaning she has to go downstairs
    > to answer the landline, so wants a cordless. It was me that thought about a
    > 2 line DECT phone. Might be cheaper and better to get a PBX and do it that
    > way. Or buy the wife a new DECT phone small enough to keep her happy?

    I pondered and scratched my head and went round every option...
    In the end we just told everyone we had a new number.
    Started off trying to persuade everyone an 056 number wasn't going to
    cost them a fortune then I eventually gave in and ust picked up a new
    sipgate number with the correct code for our area.
    All incoming calls now come in on the sipgate number. I still have an
    old wired phone in the BT socket but ended up turning the ringer off as
    the only calls I got were from people trying to sell insurance cover for
    the SkyHD box!

    Everyone these days has multiple contact points be it e-mail, text,
    mobile phone, web-cam or whatever. Getting then to just dial a VOIP
    number is no hardship. Just don't tell them it's a VOIP number and
    they'll not worry.

    The Sipgate geographical number I ended up with is more memorable then
    our BT number.

    Best Speed I can get on ADSL is 2Mb/315kb but it's fine.

    HTH

    Pete

    Pete @ www.GymRatZ.co.uk, Aug 24, 2007
  9. TheDragon

    Jono Guest

    Gordon Henderson brought next idea :
    > In article <>,
    > TheDragon <> wrote:
    >> Does anyone know of one to connect to the two FXS ports on my router??

    > A different approach, but how about not using the FXS ports on your router
    > (with 2 SIP accounts?) and getting a DECT basestation with Ethernet
    > and 6 SIP accounts?
    >
    > ie. a Siemens S450IP..

    Can the Siemens handsets register with more than one base station?
    (like the Rabbit phones could).

    Jono, Aug 24, 2007
  10. TheDragon

    Ivor Jones Guest

    : : : TheDragon <> wrote:
    : : : : Does anyone know of one to connect to the two FXS
    : : : : ports on my router??
    : : :
    : : : A different approach, but how about not using the FXS
    : : : ports on your router (with 2 SIP accounts?) and
    : : : getting a DECT basestation with Ethernet
    : : : and 6 SIP accounts?
    : : :
    : : : ie. a Siemens S450IP..
    : :
    : : Can the Siemens handsets register with more than one
    : : base station? (like the Rabbit phones could).

    Most if not all DECT handsets can register with more than one base
    station. However, unlike the Rabbit phones, they don't allow simultaneous
    use of them at the same time. So if you want to have a handset ring for
    more than one line, you're stuffed unless you use some form of PBX.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Aug 25, 2007
  11. TheDragon

    Jono Guest

    Ivor Jones was thinking very hard :

    > Most if not all DECT handsets can register with more than one base station.
    > However, unlike the Rabbit phones, they don't allow simultaneous use of them
    > at the same time. So if you want to have a handset ring for more than one
    > line, you're stuffed unless you use some form of PBX.

    Where did the designers of the Rabbit phones go to work? It was a very
    useful feature of the Rabbit.

    Jono, Aug 25, 2007
  12. TheDragon

    Lurch Guest

    Re: Re: Twin Line DECT Phone??

    On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 11:25:34 +0100, Jono <>
    mused:

    >Ivor Jones was thinking very hard :
    >

    >> Most if not all DECT handsets can register with more than one base station.
    >> However, unlike the Rabbit phones, they don't allow simultaneous use of them
    >> at the same time. So if you want to have a handset ring for more than one
    >> line, you're stuffed unless you use some form of PBX.

    >Where did the designers of the Rabbit phones go to work? It was a very
    >useful feature of the Rabbit.

    They went on to produce the rampant rabbit then disappeared to Malaga
    with the proceeds.
    --
    Regards,
    Stuart.

    Lurch, Aug 25, 2007
  13. TheDragon

    Tim Guest

    TheDragon wrote:
    > Yes I have seen these, retailing around £89. But I bought a new
    > router for its built in VoIP. I currently have a wired phone on the
    > landline, and a DECT on one of the FXS ports. The wife is moaning she
    > has to go downstairs to answer the landline, so wants a cordless. It
    > was me that thought about a 2 line DECT phone. Might be cheaper and
    > better to get a PBX and do it that way. Or buy the wife a new DECT
    > phone small enough to keep her happy?

    Both Siemens SIP phones (C460IP and S450IP) have a normal phone
    connection as well. When you make a call, you can choose whether it
    goes out on SIP or normal phone.

    Tim

    Tim, Aug 25, 2007
  14. TheDragon

    Tim Guest

    Jono wrote:
    > Can the Siemens handsets register with more than one base station?
    > (like the Rabbit phones could).

    The S45 handsets can be paired with more than one basestation. Although
    they will only register to one base at a time.

    They have a `best base` option as well. I've never tried experimenting
    to see if this will allow roaming between home/work.

    Tim

    Tim, Aug 25, 2007
  15. TheDragon

    Tim Guest

    Ivor Jones wrote:
    > Most if not all DECT handsets can register with more than one base
    > station. However, unlike the Rabbit phones, they don't allow
    > simultaneous use of them at the same time. So if you want to have a
    > handset ring for more than one line, you're stuffed unless you use some
    > form of PBX.

    Unless they are SIP lines (or 1 PSTN and 1 SIP), in which case the
    S450IP will happily ring 1 handset for 2 lines.

    In the web interface of Siemens S450IP, then you can choose which
    handsets ring for which 'lines', and also which is the primary outgoing
    'line' for each handset.

    Tim

    Tim, Aug 25, 2007
  16. TheDragon

    Jono Guest

    Tim was thinking very hard :
    > Ivor Jones wrote:
    >> Most if not all DECT handsets can register with more than one base station.
    >> However, unlike the Rabbit phones, they don't allow simultaneous use of
    >> them at the same time. So if you want to have a handset ring for more than
    >> one line, you're stuffed unless you use some form of PBX.

    > Unless they are SIP lines (or 1 PSTN and 1 SIP), in which case the S450IP
    > will happily ring 1 handset for 2 lines.
    >
    > In the web interface of Siemens S450IP, then you can choose which handsets
    > ring for which 'lines', and also which is the primary outgoing 'line' for
    > each handset.
    >
    > Tim

    Hmm. A glimmer of an idea.

    The Siemens' PSTN connection could be plugged into an ATA. This would
    give the OP a two-line VoIP DECT with multiple handsets.

    Jono, Aug 25, 2007
  17. TheDragon

    TheDragon Guest

    "Jono" <> wrote in message
    > Tim was thinking very hard :
    >> Ivor Jones wrote:
    >>> Most if not all DECT handsets can register with more than one base
    >>> station. However, unlike the Rabbit phones, they don't allow
    >>> simultaneous use of them at the same time. So if you want to have a
    >>> handset ring for more than one line, you're stuffed unless you use some
    >>> form of PBX.

    >> Unless they are SIP lines (or 1 PSTN and 1 SIP), in which case the S450IP
    >> will happily ring 1 handset for 2 lines.
    >>
    >> In the web interface of Siemens S450IP, then you can choose which
    >> handsets ring for which 'lines', and also which is the primary outgoing
    >> 'line' for each handset.
    >>
    >> Tim

    > Hmm. A glimmer of an idea.
    >
    > The Siemens' PSTN connection could be plugged into an ATA. This would give
    > the OP a two-line VoIP DECT with multiple handsets.

    Nice thought, but need to connect to the local PSTN line aswell as the FXS
    port of my router, so need 2 x PSTN connection on the same DECT phone.

    TheDragon, Aug 25, 2007
  18. TheDragon

    Jono Guest

    TheDragon formulated the question :
    > "Jono" <> wrote in message
    >> Tim was thinking very hard :
    >>>
    >>> Unless they are SIP lines (or 1 PSTN and 1 SIP), in which case the S450IP
    >>> will happily ring 1 handset for 2 lines.
    >>>
    >>> In the web interface of Siemens S450IP, then you can choose which handsets
    >>> ring for which 'lines', and also which is the primary outgoing 'line' for
    >>> each handset.
    >>>
    >>> Tim

    >> Hmm. A glimmer of an idea.
    >>
    >> The Siemens' PSTN connection could be plugged into an ATA. This would give
    >> the OP a two-line VoIP DECT with multiple handsets.
    >>

    > Nice thought, but need to connect to the local PSTN line aswell as the FXS
    > port of my router, so need 2 x PSTN connection on the same DECT phone.

    Yes, I realised almost as soon as I clicked on Send.

    You need a couple of Rabbit handsets & a couple of Rabbit basestations.

    Jono, Aug 25, 2007
  19. TheDragon

    Guest

    On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 12:05:45 +0100, Tim <> wrote:

    >In the web interface of Siemens S450IP, then you can choose which
    >handsets ring for which 'lines', and also which is the primary outgoing
    >'line' for each handset.

    The 450 IP must be the best on the market it is the best phone I have
    ever owned pity it is manufactured by a damned German company though .

    , Aug 25, 2007
  20. TheDragon

    Tim Guest

    Jono wrote:
    > The Siemens' PSTN connection could be plugged into an ATA. This would
    > give the OP a two-line VoIP DECT with multiple handsets.

    You get two-line VoIP dect with multiple handsets with S450IP anyway.
    Just just need to pair another handset with the base.

    Tim

    Tim, Aug 25, 2007