    --
    To reply, please remove the "NOSPAM" from my address.

    Ron...

    Ron, Feb 28, 2005

  2. Ron

    Jeff Evans Guest

    Ron wrote:
    > Hello Group....
    > I am wondering is there anyway a newbie could tweak Firefox to run at
    > its peak? I hope I am not opening a can of worms. But while monitoring
    > Yahoo chat help I over heard a guy mention about some setting that he
    > used and it improved the speed of firefox. I never got a chance to ask
    > him what he did. The tweaking he done was in Firefox and not windows.
    >
    > Thanks in advance....

    Is this what you mean (#5):

    http://wikiserver.freenethelp.org:14741/SpeedingUpFreenet

    This could also be added by going to "about:config" and adding the value
    specified.

    Jeff Evans, Mar 1, 2005

  3. Ron wrote:
    > Hello Group....
    > I am wondering is there anyway a newbie could tweak Firefox to run at
    > its peak? I hope I am not opening a can of worms. But while monitoring
    > Yahoo chat help I over heard a guy mention about some setting that he
    > used and it improved the speed of firefox. I never got a chance to ask
    > him what he did. The tweaking he done was in Firefox and not windows.
    >
    > Thanks in advance....

    Probably pipeling and the paint delay.

    Tweaking the paint delay pref is not really effective, it just make the
    page look like its loading faster, you don;t get content any quicker, at
    least in my testing.

    Pipelining can increase speed, but not every server supports it. If you
    want to try it, type about:cofig into the location bar. In the filter
    field, type pipe.

    If you have a direct connection to the internet, look for:

    network.http.pipelining

    Toggle the value to true.

    If you have a proxy, look for:

    network.http.proxy.pipelining

    Same value setting.

    I'm on a cable connection, I don't really notice any difference. It may
    well be worth something on dial up, but note that not all servers allow it.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Mar 1, 2005
  4. Ron

    ..brian.. Guest

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > Ron wrote:
    > > Hello Group....
    > > I am wondering is there anyway a newbie could tweak Firefox to run

    at
    > > its peak? I hope I am not opening a can of worms. But while

    monitoring
    > > Yahoo chat help I over heard a guy mention about some setting that

    he
    > > used and it improved the speed of firefox. I never got a chance to

    ask
    > > him what he did. The tweaking he done was in Firefox and not

    windows.

    > > Thanks in advance....

    > Probably pipeling and the paint delay.
    >
    > Tweaking the paint delay pref is not really effective, it just make

    the
    > page look like its loading faster, you don;t get content any quicker,

    at
    > least in my testing.
    >
    > Pipelining can increase speed, but not every server supports it. If

    you
    > want to try it, type about:cofig into the location bar. In the filter

    > field, type pipe.
    >
    > If you have a direct connection to the internet, look for:
    >
    > network.http.pipelining
    >
    > Toggle the value to true.
    >
    > If you have a proxy, look for:
    >
    > network.http.proxy.pipelining
    >
    > Same value setting.
    >
    > I'm on a cable connection, I don't really notice any difference. It

    may
    > well be worth something on dial up, but note that not all servers

    allow it.

    > Lee

    *Personally*, I like making the above changes through the user.js file
    vs. direct changes through about:config -- I usually make multiple
    changes at one time and forget what I changed or just plain forget, so
    having all the changes in one place makes undoing them easy.

    Just personal preference I guess. Although, I guess it's easier for a
    new user to play around with about:config than it is to figure out how
    to use a file that doesn't exist ;-)
    --
    Brian

    ..brian.., Mar 1, 2005
  5. ...brian.. wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >
    >>Ron wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hello Group....
    >>>I am wondering is there anyway a newbie could tweak Firefox to run

    > at
    >
    >>>its peak? I hope I am not opening a can of worms. But while

    > monitoring
    >
    >>>Yahoo chat help I over heard a guy mention about some setting that

    > he
    >
    >>>used and it improved the speed of firefox. I never got a chance to

    > ask
    >
    >>>him what he did. The tweaking he done was in Firefox and not

    > windows.
    >
    >>>Thanks in advance....

    >>Probably pipeling and the paint delay.
    >>
    >>Tweaking the paint delay pref is not really effective, it just make

    > the
    >
    >>page look like its loading faster, you don;t get content any quicker,

    > at
    >
    >>least in my testing.
    >>
    >>Pipelining can increase speed, but not every server supports it. If

    > you
    >
    >>want to try it, type about:cofig into the location bar. In the filter

    >>field, type pipe.
    >>
    >>If you have a direct connection to the internet, look for:
    >>
    >>network.http.pipelining
    >>
    >>Toggle the value to true.
    >>
    >>If you have a proxy, look for:
    >>
    >>network.http.proxy.pipelining
    >>
    >>Same value setting.
    >>
    >>I'm on a cable connection, I don't really notice any difference. It

    > may
    >
    >>well be worth something on dial up, but note that not all servers

    > allow it.
    >
    >>Lee

    > *Personally*, I like making the above changes through the user.js file
    > vs. direct changes through about:config -- I usually make multiple
    > changes at one time and forget what I changed or just plain forget, so
    > having all the changes in one place makes undoing them easy.
    >
    > Just personal preference I guess. Although, I guess it's easier for a
    > new user to play around with about:config than it is to figure out how
    > to use a file that doesn't exist ;-)

    I guess its in personal preference. I'm hardly a new user, as you well
    know. I used user.js when it was the only option. As soon as I found
    about:config had gained so much functionality, i went with it. I
    haven't used user.js in over a year.

    Still, choices are nice, and, at least at this point, both options work.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Mar 1, 2005
  6. Ron

    ..brian.. Guest

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > ..brian.. wrote:

    > > at

    > > monitoring

    > > he

    > > ask

    > > windows.

    > >>Probably pipeling and the paint delay.
    > >>
    > >>Tweaking the paint delay pref is not really effective, it just make

    > > the
    > >
    > >>page look like its loading faster, you don;t get content any

    quicker,

    > > at
    > >
    > >>least in my testing.
    > >>
    > >>Pipelining can increase speed, but not every server supports it. If

    > > you
    > >
    > >>want to try it, type about:cofig into the location bar. In the

    filter

    > >>field, type pipe.
    > >>
    > >>If you have a direct connection to the internet, look for:
    > >>
    > >>network.http.pipelining
    > >>
    > >>Toggle the value to true.
    > >>
    > >>If you have a proxy, look for:
    > >>
    > >>network.http.proxy.pipelining
    > >>
    > >>Same value setting.
    > >>
    > >>I'm on a cable connection, I don't really notice any difference. It

    > > may
    > >
    > >>well be worth something on dial up, but note that not all servers

    > > allow it.
    > >
    > >>Lee

    > > *Personally*, I like making the above changes through the user.js

    file
    > > vs. direct changes through about:config -- I usually make multiple
    > > changes at one time and forget what I changed or just plain forget,

    so
    > > having all the changes in one place makes undoing them easy.
    > >
    > > Just personal preference I guess. Although, I guess it's easier

    for a
    > > new user to play around with about:config than it is to figure out

    how
    > > to use a file that doesn't exist ;-)

    > I guess its in personal preference. I'm hardly a new user, as you

    well
    > know. I used user.js when it was the only option. As soon as I found

    > about:config had gained so much functionality, i went with it. I
    > haven't used user.js in over a year.
    >
    > Still, choices are nice, and, at least at this point, both options

    work.

    > Lee

    I do like finding the settings via about:config, but I like changing
    them in user.js -- but only becuase I use it as a "remembering tool".
    I remember thinking it was fun to change the prefs.js file a long time
    ago... but that didn't work out too well ;-)

    And hopefully you didn't think I was refering to /you/ as the new
    user!! :-O
    --
    Brian

    ..brian.., Mar 1, 2005