    lot of specialty software that I have no use for. A $100 digicam would be
    great, if only it came with a TWAIN driver.

    Any suggestions?
    Paul Pedersen, Oct 13, 2007

  2. Paul Pedersen

    Steven Guest

    "Paul Pedersen" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I know people have asked this before, but I haven't seen a satisfactory
    >answer.
    >
    > What do I need to do, what kind of camera do I have to buy, to use it as a
    > web cam? I need to take portrait photos, still pictures (I don't need
    > movies), directly into the computer where I can handle them with software
    > that acts through TWAIN.
    >
    > An actual webcam works fine in this manner, but the picture quality is
    > just too low. I need better resolution, focus, color, etc. Not
    > super-duper, but definitely better than I can get with a standard webcam.
    >
    > I've seen ID photo cameras for sale, but they are expensive and come with
    > lot of specialty software that I have no use for. A $100 digicam would be
    > great, if only it came with a TWAIN driver.

    You can connect any compact digital camera to a PC and see on screen what
    the camera has on its LCD. Likewise the same for a DSLR that has live view.

    S.
    Steven, Oct 13, 2007

  3. Paul Pedersen

    Jonathan Guest

    Paul Pedersen wrote:
    > I know people have asked this before, but I haven't seen a
    > satisfactory answer.
    >
    > What do I need to do, what kind of camera do I have to buy, to use it
    > as a web cam? I need to take portrait photos, still pictures (I don't
    > need movies), directly into the computer where I can handle them with
    > software that acts through TWAIN.
    >
    > An actual webcam works fine in this manner, but the picture quality
    > is just too low. I need better resolution, focus, color, etc. Not
    > super-duper, but definitely better than I can get with a standard
    > webcam.
    > I've seen ID photo cameras for sale, but they are expensive and come
    > with lot of specialty software that I have no use for. A $100 digicam
    > would be great, if only it came with a TWAIN driver.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    I use camcorders for all my web cams. I get older ones at fee markets for
    around $50.00 each. Less if you buy more than one. Some even have remote
    control with zoom and still photo abilities. Much better quality than any
    web cam on the market no matter how much you spend. I have about 10 old Sony
    handy cams that all work perfect complete with chargers and accessories. You
    can attach external lenses and filters if you like making them far better
    than the limited web cams.
    Jonathan, Oct 14, 2007
  4. "Steven" <> wrote in message
    > "Paul Pedersen" <> wrote in message
    >>I know people have asked this before, but I haven't seen a satisfactory
    >>answer.
    >>
    >> What do I need to do, what kind of camera do I have to buy, to use it as
    >> a web cam? I need to take portrait photos, still pictures (I don't need
    >> movies), directly into the computer where I can handle them with software
    >> that acts through TWAIN.
    >>
    >> An actual webcam works fine in this manner, but the picture quality is
    >> just too low. I need better resolution, focus, color, etc. Not
    >> super-duper, but definitely better than I can get with a standard webcam.
    >>
    >> I've seen ID photo cameras for sale, but they are expensive and come with
    >> lot of specialty software that I have no use for. A $100 digicam would be
    >> great, if only it came with a TWAIN driver.

    > You can connect any compact digital camera to a PC and see on screen what
    > the camera has on its LCD. Likewise the same for a DSLR that has live
    > view.
    >
    > S.

    I do not believe that is the case.

    I have here a Casio EX-Z55, a Samsung L73, and a Kodak Easyshare. If there's
    a way to make that happen with any of those cameras, please tell me what it
    is.
    Paul Pedersen, Oct 14, 2007
  5. Paul Pedersen

    V Green Guest

    Paul:

    There's a feature in Paint Shop Pro that might
    be what you're looking for. The following is from
    the v7 help file:

    --------------------
    3 Use the Single Exposure Operations panel to view and work with individual
    images:

    · Click the left and right arrows below the preview box to scroll through the
    images. Each picture's exposure number, time and date of creation, and preview
    appear. (The preview appears only if you downloaded the thumbnails.)

    · If you want to take a picture and see it immediately, position the camera,
    click Take Picture, and then click Get Preview.

    · If you chose not to download the thumbnails and now want to see a preview of
    the selected image, click Get Preview.

    · Click Delete to delete the image from the camera.

    · Click Open in PSP to open the image in the Paint Shop Pro workspace.

    · Click Save to Disk to save the image on your hard disk without opening it.
    ----------------------

    In particular the "If you want to take a picture..." bullet point
    sounds promising.

    I have no use for this function so can't speak to
    how well it works.

    V Green, Oct 14, 2007
  6. Thanks, but I think that just isn't going to work without a twain driver for
    the camera, and for some reason, those seem to be common only for webcams,
    and maybe movie cameras.

    Paul Pedersen, Oct 14, 2007
  7. Paul Pedersen

    V Green Guest

    Paul:

    I had a quick look at the Corel FAQ's for PSP and
    they seem to imply that a lot of cameras come with
    TWAIN drivers.

    Are you sure that none of yours do? I mean, REALLY,
    REALLY (as in looked all over and double-checked the
    CD that came with the camera) sure?

    You might benefit from browsing the FAQ on your own:

    http://support.corel.com/scripts/rightnow.cfg/php.exe/enduser/std_alp.php

    If this is important to you, I guess you should consider
    buying a cam that you KNOW has TWAIN support and
    stop banging your head against the wall trying to get your
    current collection to work.

    V Green, Oct 14, 2007
  8. Paul Pedersen

    Steven Guest

    >> "V Green" <> wrote in message
    >> > Paul:
    >> >
    >> > There's a feature in Paint Shop Pro that might
    >> > be what you're looking for. The following is from
    >> > the v7 help file:
    >> >
    >> > --------------------
    >> > 3 Use the Single Exposure Operations panel to view and work with
    >> > individual
    >> > images:
    >> >
    >> > · Click the left and right arrows below the preview box to scroll
    >> > through
    >> > the
    >> > images. Each picture's exposure number, time and date of creation, and
    >> > preview
    >> > appear. (The preview appears only if you downloaded the thumbnails.)
    >> >
    >> > · If you want to take a picture and see it immediately, position the
    >> > camera,
    >> > click Take Picture, and then click Get Preview.
    >> >
    >> > · If you chose not to download the thumbnails and now want to see a
    >> > preview of
    >> > the selected image, click Get Preview.
    >> >
    >> > · Click Delete to delete the image from the camera.
    >> >
    >> > · Click Open in PSP to open the image in the Paint Shop Pro workspace.
    >> >
    >> > · Click Save to Disk to save the image on your hard disk without
    >> > opening
    >> > it.
    >> > ----------------------
    >> >
    >> > In particular the "If you want to take a picture..." bullet point
    >> > sounds promising.
    >> >
    >> > I have no use for this function so can't speak to
    >> > how well it works.
    >> >

    >> > "Paul Pedersen" <> wrote in message

    What software came with the cameras? My old Canon, Fuji and Olympus cameras
    came with software and leads that allowed the cameras to be attached to the
    PC and thus operate the cameras from the PC. Have you looked at all the
    software that came bundled?
    Steven, Oct 14, 2007
  9. > Are you sure that none of yours do? I mean, REALLY,
    > REALLY (as in looked all over and double-checked the
    > CD that came with the camera) sure?

    Maybe I'm going blind, but I sure don't see that for the Casio or the
    Samsung. (I sold the Kodak.) Not on their web sites either.

    > If this is important to you, I guess you should consider
    > buying a cam that you KNOW has TWAIN support and
    > stop banging your head against the wall trying to get your
    > current collection to work.

    I agree with you there. But it seems that not many cameras come with a twain
    driver these days, and the ones that do don't seem to advertise the fact
    much.

    Plus, I don't like the idea of shelling out another $100+ for a camera that
    does supposedly have twain support, only to find out that it's non-standard
    and won't work with my software for some reason. Things like that happen.

    The irony is, a $30 webcam works great, except for the crappy photo quality.

    Do you know of any webcams that can take good pictures? I've seen "5
    megapixel" webcams on EBay for around $20, but if they take decent pictures,
    I'd be shocked.
    Paul Pedersen, Oct 14, 2007

  10. > What software came with the cameras? My old Canon, Fuji and Olympus
    > cameras
    > came with software and leads that allowed the cameras to be attached to
    > the PC and thus operate the cameras from the PC. Have you looked at all
    > the software that came bundled?

    It seems to me that older cameras often came with twain software, but there
    doesn't seem to have been much demand for it, because it's far less common
    now.

    I thought about buying one of those older cameras, but it's probably not
    such a great idea to put a driver designed for Windows 98 onto XP or Vista.
    Paul Pedersen, Oct 14, 2007
  11. Paul Pedersen

    V Green Guest

    > > Are you sure that none of yours do? I mean, REALLY,
    > > REALLY (as in looked all over and double-checked the
    > > CD that came with the camera) sure?

    > Maybe I'm going blind, but I sure don't see that for the Casio or the
    > Samsung. (I sold the Kodak.) Not on their web sites either.
    >

    > > If this is important to you, I guess you should consider
    > > buying a cam that you KNOW has TWAIN support and
    > > stop banging your head against the wall trying to get your
    > > current collection to work.

    > I agree with you there. But it seems that not many cameras come with a twain
    > driver these days, and the ones that do don't seem to advertise the fact
    > much.
    >
    > Plus, I don't like the idea of shelling out another $100+ for a camera that
    > does supposedly have twain support, only to find out that it's non-standard
    > and won't work with my software for some reason. Things like that happen.
    >
    > The irony is, a $30 webcam works great, except for the crappy photo quality.
    >
    > Do you know of any webcams that can take good pictures? I've seen "5
    > megapixel" webcams on EBay for around $20, but if they take decent pictures,
    > I'd be shocked.

    Yeah, me too. They tend to be only toys.

    FWIW, if you go out and buy a D80 (or DXX), you can get
    software that will do what you want:

    http://www.nikonusa.com/pdf/manuals/ccp_en.pdf

    Kinda overkill, maybe.

    I took a quick trip through the cam world looking for
    something that would fit your needs, and the pickins'
    are indeed slim.

    Perhaps eBay is your friend...

    V Green, Oct 15, 2007
  12. Paul Pedersen

    Guest Guest

    For about $10 you can get a good used Canon A40 on eBay, I know its
    TWAIN driver works on my XP box. Only 2MP, but pretty good quality for
    a cheap pocket camera, way better than any 2MP web cam I've tried.

    --
    is Joshua Putnam
    <http://www.phred.org/~josh/>
    Guest, Oct 15, 2007
  13. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try it.

    Any idea whether it works on Vista?

    Paul Pedersen, Oct 15, 2007
  14. I went to Fry's yesterday and asked for their best digital camera expert. I
    asked him which cameras come with a twain driver. He looked at me like I was
    from Mars and had asked for a skjioimneejfas.

    Neither he nor anyone else in the department had ever heard of twain. I
    guess that means it's not a common feature.

    Paul Pedersen, Oct 16, 2007
  15. On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 10:37:00 -0700, "Paul Pedersen" <> wrote:

    >I went to Fry's yesterday and asked for their best digital camera expert. I
    >asked him which cameras come with a twain driver. He looked at me like I was
    >from Mars and had asked for a skjioimneejfas.
    >
    >Neither he nor anyone else in the department had ever heard of twain. I
    >guess that means it's not a common feature.
    >

    >"Paul Pedersen" <> wrote in message
    >>I know people have asked this before, but I haven't seen a satisfactory
    >>answer.
    >>
    >> What do I need to do, what kind of camera do I have to buy, to use it as a
    >> web cam? I need to take portrait photos, still pictures (I don't need
    >> movies), directly into the computer where I can handle them with software
    >> that acts through TWAIN.
    >>
    >> An actual webcam works fine in this manner, but the picture quality is
    >> just too low. I need better resolution, focus, color, etc. Not
    >> super-duper, but definitely better than I can get with a standard webcam.
    >>
    >> I've seen ID photo cameras for sale, but they are expensive and come with
    >> lot of specialty software that I have no use for. A $100 digicam would be
    >> great, if only it came with a TWAIN driver.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions?

    Don't you people ever read any other posts but your own threads? The information
    below has been posted in various threads many times now. The last time just two
    threads away from this one. Though I wonder why I'm trying to help obvious blind
    idiots that are most likely trying to find a way to show their little dick to
    others. Hint: I heard if you use the wide-angle mode up close you might be able
    to impress someone that's not too smart. Just don't put your hand in the field
    of view for comparision or your intended effect will be lost. I am reminded of a
    video-conference for a class lecture one time where someone with a wide-angled
    webcam showed up with the standard dickhead crotch-shot, his chosen screen-name
    was "HUGE". He made the mistake of putting his hand in the view. We all laughed
    when realizing his name was refering to his hand size.

    Here you go wankers! Here's how you can use your camera for a webcam:

    (recopied from a copy of a previous copy of another copy of a post that was
    copied from a copy)

    ReplyingToIdiot, Oct 17, 2007
  16. Paul Pedersen

    Trbo

    Joined:
    Nov 13, 2012
    Messages:
    1

    I have just came across your post, and next to it there was an add banner that I followed and got to the needed solution :congrats:

    I installed the Unitwain from the TerminalWorks company and I will probably purchase it in the next days if it turns out good. I tried it with 4 webcams already installed in my network and now they are usable in my business application. finally a useful advertisement :sheep
    Trbo, Nov 13, 2012