TW vs. Packet8 VoIP

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by Nehmo Sergheyev, Apr 3, 2004.

  1. I'm in Kansas City, Kansas

    According to Time Warner, its digital phone features are only
    Call Waiting
    Caller ID
    Call Waiting ID
    http://www.twcdigitalphone.com/kansascity/callingfeatures.htm

    Packet8 says it has more features
    http://www.packet8.net/
    Voice Mail
    Caller ID
    Unlimited Talk Time
    Call Waiting
    3 way Conferencing
    Caller ID Blocking
    Call Forwarding
    Call Waiting Caller ID
    Online Management

    Packet8 is $20/month whereas TW, after three months goes up to $40 from
    $20. And I use 3-way calling. I can't see any reason to stay with TW on
    the digital phone, which is what I currently have.

    So as long as I'm going to switch, is there any other company offering
    VoIP in KC?

    FW http://www.freeworldialup.com/ although free, doesn't give you a
    number that can be called directly by a regular phone.

    --
    *********************
    * Nehmo Sergheyev *
    Nehmo Sergheyev, Apr 3, 2004

  2. >Packet8 is $20/month whereas TW, after three months goes up to $40 from
    >$20. And I use 3-way calling. I can't see any reason to stay with TW on
    >the digital phone, which is what I currently have.

    The only advantage of TW's service is that it actually works.

    TW uses dedicated bandwidth to a local switch. It doesn't run over
    your Internet connection and you can get TW's phone service without
    Roadrunner.

    Packet8, like other VoIP services, mixes its data in with the rest of
    your Internet data and sends it off to their switch which is in
    California. All VoIP services do that, but Packet8 appears less
    reliable than others and has had multi-hour outages, apparently
    because there's nobody around outside 9-5 to notice.

    If you want the cheapest possible service, and it's not a problem if
    it sometimes doesn't work, Packet8 is a reasonable choice. I don't
    know of any other VoIP carrier that offers 913 numbers yet.
    John R. Levine, Apr 3, 2004

  3. - Tom Grelinger -
    > One more:
    > Package8 - no support for 911

    - Nehmo -
    It's Packet not Package.

    What good is 911 in Kansas City anyway? One time I (this is true) ran
    down a purse snatcher. (This isn't a big brag; I only had to chase him
    for half a block, and he was high on something he had been sniffing. I
    can't remember what it was.) After he was down, a couple of other people
    came to help. I then began calling 911 from my cell phone. I got this
    funny kind of beeping and a message telling me to hold. I'm not sure how
    long this went on. I hung up redialed and got the same thing. It was
    getting ridiculous, and a crowd was gathering. I wanted to tell them
    that the police were on their way. And after several minutes, I did, I
    lied: I said the police were on their way even though I hadn't yet
    really gotten a live person on 911. Eventually I did get through, and
    yes they did send a car with officers who arrested the guy.

    This happened on my way to work. It got so late after talking to the
    cops and everything, I didn't go and lost a day.

    Anyway, I just used this as an opportunity to tell the story. I don't
    see 911 as necessary because all the local police have local numbers you
    can put in your phone's memory. And considering how much 911 costs, it
    should be eliminated or be optional.

    Oddly, I couldn't find a sales number on the Packet8 site. This is
    customer service:
    888-898-8733, which gave me a recording just now on Saturday night.

    --
    * Nehmo Sergheyev *
    Nehmo Sergheyev, Apr 4, 2004