    what's the best way to achieve what i want to do?

    thanks

    will.
    will, Jan 28, 2007

  2. will wrote:
    > hi,
    > i have an old laptop which i would like to use for playing video files
    > to a TV.
    > this laptop doesn't have TVOut port, only VGA, PCMCIA and USB.
    > what's the best way to achieve what i want to do?
    > thanks
    > will.

    What make and model of TV do you have? this will define your options.
    For instance, my Panasonic can take a VGA input, so I can just "plug and
    play"
    You could get a PCMIA card with just about any output you desire

    --
    Cheers
    Southern Kiwi

    Word of wisdom from high in the mountains....you know...like a
    Guru...but not as old....or mystic......or wise....or high... :)
    Southern Kiwi, Jan 29, 2007

  3. will

    Mark C Guest

    "will" <> wrote in

    > i have an old laptop which i would like to use for playing video
    > files to a TV.
    >
    > this laptop doesn't have TVOut port, only VGA, PCMCIA and USB.

    I have one of these:
    http://www.dynalink.co.nz/multimedia_cur.htm?prod=VDE100
    .... which works (but has some problems).

    You plug the VGA out into it, and a USB cable (for power) and it
    provides S-Video and Composite output to the TV.

    Problems with it:
    - Using any of the Zoom or picture position controls causes the sync
    to be lost and the TV picture goes to crap.
    - After a while the picture starts waving about (can be minimised by
    using the remote to reduce the picture width).

    You could try one of these:
    http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/en/product/XH8624
    http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/en/product/XH4624
    .... and if they don't work, send it back to DSE.
    (IIRC, the XH4624 unit is possibly related to the VDE100.)

    HTH,
    Mark
    Mark C, Jan 29, 2007