    There are a lot of cards around which provide this functionality, does
    anybody have a favourite they'd recommend from personal experience ?

    thanks

    xray spex, Jun 8, 2005

  2. xray spex

    Richard Guest

    xray spex wrote:
    > I'd like to add simple PVR functionality to a PC i.e. record TV programs to
    > hard disk for later viewing and timeshift programs while I'm watching them.
    > There are a lot of cards around which provide this functionality, does
    > anybody have a favourite they'd recommend from personal experience ?

    Look for the PVR250 or pvr500 cards - they are what most people regard as the best.

    I would hold off to see what happens with respect to DVB-T vs DVB-S if recording
    FTA is your goal, as that will give you a better picture.

    Richard, Jun 8, 2005

  3. xray spex

    Tony Guest

    On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 22:09:15 +1200, "xray spex"
    <> wrote:

    >I'd like to add simple PVR functionality to a PC i.e. record TV programs to
    >hard disk for later viewing and timeshift programs while I'm watching them.
    >There are a lot of cards around which provide this functionality, does
    >anybody have a favourite they'd recommend from personal experience ?
    >
    >thanks

    Get one with Hardware Encoding, this frees up the computer..

    Like this one and very Cheap

    http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/prolink-p7000/

    http://www.xpcomputers.co.nz/produc...d=712&osCsid=03a8df79c4a88d2fcb0c6ccfe0c9eeaf

    Web site

    http://www.prolink.com.tw/english/products/multimedia/PixelView

    And a later model

    PixelView PlayTV@P7200

    http://www.prolink.com.tw/english/products/mutimedia.htm

    Tony, Jun 8, 2005
  4. xray spex

    Tony Guest

    On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 22:31:06 +1200, Richard <> wrote:

    >xray spex wrote:
    >> I'd like to add simple PVR functionality to a PC i.e. record TV programs to
    >> hard disk for later viewing and timeshift programs while I'm watching them.
    >> There are a lot of cards around which provide this functionality, does
    >> anybody have a favourite they'd recommend from personal experience ?

    >Look for the PVR250 or pvr500 cards - they are what most people regard as the best.

    Yes all very DEAR CARDS, I do not think this chap wishes to pay $300 plus for
    a card..

    >I would hold off to see what happens with respect to DVB-T vs DVB-S if recording
    >FTA is your goal, as that will give you a better picture.

    PixelView even to a Dual Tuner PVR card..

    Tony, Jun 8, 2005
  5. xray spex

    SteveM Guest

    "xray spex" <> wrote in

    > I'd like to add simple PVR functionality to a PC i.e. record TV
    > programs to hard disk for later viewing and timeshift programs while
    > I'm watching them. There are a lot of cards around which provide this
    > functionality, does anybody have a favourite they'd recommend from
    > personal experience ?
    >
    > thanks

    Can I suggest GBPVR (www.gbpvr.com), a great PVR application written
    here in Godzone (Wellington) + a Hardware Mpeg card like a Hauppauge 150
    (or 500 if you would like dual tuners) or worst case the Pixelview that
    Woger suggests.

    I had a pixelview which I was very happy with until I wanted a dual tuner
    card, so got the Hauppauge PVR500 which I am also extreemly happy with.

    At the very least get a card with Hardware Mpeg encoding but note that most
    of the software bundled with the Tuner cards usually sucks. The prolink
    software did (IMHO)

    SteveM

    SteveM, Jun 8, 2005
  6. xray spex

    Tony Guest

    On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 12:33:44 +0000 (UTC), SteveM <> wrote:

    >"xray spex" <> wrote in
    >
    >> I'd like to add simple PVR functionality to a PC i.e. record TV
    >> programs to hard disk for later viewing and timeshift programs while
    >> I'm watching them. There are a lot of cards around which provide this
    >> functionality, does anybody have a favourite they'd recommend from
    >> personal experience ?
    >>
    >> thanks
    >>

    >Can I suggest GBPVR (www.gbpvr.com), a great PVR application written
    >here in Godzone (Wellington) + a Hardware Mpeg card like a Hauppauge 150
    >(or 500 if you would like dual tuners) or worst case the Pixelview that
    >Woger suggests.
    >
    >I had a pixelview which I was very happy with until I wanted a dual tuner
    >card, so got the Hauppauge PVR500 which I am also extreemly happy with.

    Is this Not a Dual Tuner model.

    http://www.prolink.com.tw/mailnews/PixelViewNews20050103_E.htm

    Tony, Jun 8, 2005
  7. xray spex

    xray spex Guest

    "Tony" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 22:31:06 +1200, Richard <> wrote:
    >
    >>xray spex wrote:
    >>> I'd like to add simple PVR functionality to a PC i.e. record TV programs
    >>> hard disk for later viewing and timeshift programs while I'm watching
    >>> them.
    >>> There are a lot of cards around which provide this functionality, does
    >>> anybody have a favourite they'd recommend from personal experience ?

    >>Look for the PVR250 or pvr500 cards - they are what most people regard as
    >>the best.

    > Yes all very DEAR CARDS, I do not think this chap wishes to pay $300 plus
    > for
    > a card..
    >

    >>I would hold off to see what happens with respect to DVB-T vs DVB-S if
    >>recording
    >>FTA is your goal, as that will give you a better picture.

    > PixelView even to a Dual Tuner PVR card..

    I don't mind paying $300 or so if the card works as advertised, provides a
    decent picture and isn't a nightmare to get up and running

    xray spex, Jun 8, 2005
  8. xray spex

    xray spex Guest

    "SteveM" <> wrote in message
    > "xray spex" <> wrote in
    >
    >> I'd like to add simple PVR functionality to a PC i.e. record TV
    >> programs to hard disk for later viewing and timeshift programs while
    >> I'm watching them. There are a lot of cards around which provide this
    >> functionality, does anybody have a favourite they'd recommend from
    >> personal experience ?
    >>
    >> thanks
    >>

    > Can I suggest GBPVR (www.gbpvr.com), a great PVR application written
    > here in Godzone (Wellington) + a Hardware Mpeg card like a Hauppauge 150
    > (or 500 if you would like dual tuners) or worst case the Pixelview that
    > Woger suggests.
    >
    > I had a pixelview which I was very happy with until I wanted a dual tuner
    > card, so got the Hauppauge PVR500 which I am also extreemly happy with.
    >
    > At the very least get a card with Hardware Mpeg encoding but note that
    > most
    > of the software bundled with the Tuner cards usually sucks. The prolink
    > software did (IMHO)
    >
    > SteveM

    This is the first time I've heard of GBPVR, thanks for the pointer

    xray spex, Jun 8, 2005
  9. xray spex

    Tony Guest

    On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 07:41:58 +1200, "xray spex"
    <> wrote:

    >"Tony" <> wrote in message

    >>>Look for the PVR250 or pvr500 cards - they are what most people regard as
    >>>the best.

    >> Yes all very DEAR CARDS, I do not think this chap wishes to pay $300 plus
    >> for
    >> a card..
    >>

    >>>I would hold off to see what happens with respect to DVB-T vs DVB-S if
    >>>recording
    >>>FTA is your goal, as that will give you a better picture.

    >> PixelView even to a Dual Tuner PVR card..
    >>

    >I don't mind paying $300 or so if the card works as advertised, provides a
    >decent picture and isn't a nightmare to get up and running

    Well if you do not do any decent research into it then you will be ripped off.

    Please do not take the advice that most give out here in this news group as
    most of it is flawed..

    Tony, Jun 9, 2005
  10. Tony wrote:
    > Please do not take the advice that most give out here in this news group as
    > most of it is flawed..

    hahaha... says Roger "Tony" Shepard.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 9, 2005
  11. xray spex

    xray spex Guest

    "Tony" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 07:41:58 +1200, "xray spex"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>"Tony" <> wrote in message

    >>> Yes all very DEAR CARDS, I do not think this chap wishes to pay $300
    >>> plus
    >>> for
    >>> a card..

    >>> PixelView even to a Dual Tuner PVR card..
    >>>

    >>I don't mind paying $300 or so if the card works as advertised, provides a
    >>decent picture and isn't a nightmare to get up and running
    >>

    > Well if you do not do any decent research into it then you will be ripped
    > off.
    >
    > Please do not take the advice that most give out here in this news group
    > as
    > most of it is flawed..

    Obviously I will do my own research, my original post was an attempt to find
    a starting point and has been successful from that perspective. I disagree
    with your comments about the advice that's handed out on nz.comp, with a
    couple of notable exceptions I find the majority of it to be fairly good and
    no doubt will continue to do so. The thoughts, opinions and personal
    experiences of a few people on nz.comp are worth many hours of Googling and
    MSN Searching. The cool thing with IT is that there's very rarely one single
    way to skin the proverbial cat, the diverse range of solutions and gadgetry
    can add complexity to the evaluation process but in return it enables
    customisation and selection of features which aren't really available when
    purchasing other types of items. Synopsis: diversity of opinion and
    experiences is a very good thing IMHO and I'll continue to use nz.comp as a
    source for both.

    xray spex, Jun 9, 2005
  12. Hi there,

    xray spex wrote:
    > I'd like to add simple PVR functionality to a PC i.e. record TV programs to
    > hard disk for later viewing and timeshift programs while I'm watching them.
    > There are a lot of cards around which provide this functionality, does
    > anybody have a favourite they'd recommend from personal experience ?

    Best to pay a bit more and get a card with hardware encoding. Hauppage
    PVR250/350 would fit the bill.

    If your system is a real grunter you could get by with a cheaper card.
    I use a Pinnacle PCTV Stereo, which has good clarity picture, and also
    s-video input to record from my camcorder, for around AUD$85. I miss
    not having hardware encoding, but my Athlon64 rig in Linux is grunty
    enough that ffmpeg can do full-res PAL recording to MPEG-2 with 48k
    sound, in realtime...

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.

    Chris Wilkinson, Jun 9, 2005
  13. xray spex

    Mutlley Guest

    Tony <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 22:09:15 +1200, "xray spex"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>I'd like to add simple PVR functionality to a PC i.e. record TV programs to
    >>hard disk for later viewing and timeshift programs while I'm watching them.
    >>There are a lot of cards around which provide this functionality, does
    >>anybody have a favourite they'd recommend from personal experience ?
    >>
    >>thanks
    >>

    >Get one with Hardware Encoding, this frees up the computer..
    >

    >Like this one and very Cheap
    >

    >http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/prolink-p7000/
    >
    >http://www.xpcomputers.co.nz/produc...d=712&osCsid=03a8df79c4a88d2fcb0c6ccfe0c9eeaf
    >

    >Web site
    >

    >http://www.prolink.com.tw/english/products/multimedia/PixelView
    >

    >And a later model
    >

    >PixelView PlayTV@P7200
    >
    >http://www.prolink.com.tw/english/products/mutimedia.htm

    Anyone tried this one ??

    http://www.xpcomputers.co.nz/produc...=1024&osCsid=03a8df79c4a88d2fcb0c6ccfe0c9eeaf

    Mutlley, Jun 9, 2005
  14. xray spex

    shannon Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > Tony wrote:
    >
    >> Please do not take the advice that most give out here in this news
    >> group as
    >> most of it is flawed..

    > hahaha... says Roger "Tony" Shepard.

    The Hauppauge PVR-150 is $217 + GST.

    Are there any similar hardware encoding tuner cards on sale in NZ ?

    shannon, Jun 9, 2005
  15. xray spex

    geoffm Guest

    <> wrote:

    >I'd like to add simple PVR functionality to a PC i.e. record TV programs to
    >hard disk for later viewing and timeshift programs while I'm watching them.
    >There are a lot of cards around which provide this functionality, does
    >anybody have a favourite they'd recommend from personal experience ?
    >
    >thanks

    Bruce Simpson did an article on Aardvark (www.aardvark.co.nz) a while
    back on this subject.
    I bought a USB2 Pixelview tuner box yesterday for the Dell 5150
    laptop, and I must say I am a bit disappointed. It uses mega resources
    - anything running at all will make the sound break up and the video
    skip frames.The supplied software is crap - usable, but did they
    actually pay money for that hideous interface? Any suggestions
    (besides stop being a cheap SOB and get a Hauppauge hardware encoder
    card) appreciated
    I have a Pinnacle PCTV (BT878 chipset) in the desktop. It is OK, can
    use the sky decoder software (when I bothered to set it up before). It
    uses a cable from the card to the line -in of the sound card, which is
    a pain if you want to use a microphone as well. The supplied drivers,
    support and software is total garbage.
    There are public domain and freeware drivers, software and PVR stuff
    available. Most is much better than comes with the cheap cards.
    Most TV tuner cards (mine included) need a good aerial - they are much
    less forgiving than even a $120 Warehouse TV.
    You will need LOTS of disk space.
    Geoff

    geoffm, Jun 9, 2005
  16. xray spex

    nospam Guest

    "xray spex" <> wrote in message
    > I'd like to add simple PVR functionality to a PC i.e. record TV programs
    > to hard disk for later viewing and timeshift programs while I'm watching
    > them. There are a lot of cards around which provide this functionality,
    > does anybody have a favourite they'd recommend from personal experience ?
    >
    > thanks

    Honestly, get a Hauppauge PVR150. It's not the cheapest card available in
    New Zealand, but at about $230 it'll provide you much more enjoyment than
    all the cheaper cards available. This Hauppauge card is very mainstream, and
    has very good support from the application development community. Buying a
    PixelView or other cheap no brand capture device will leave you continually
    hunting for software that works with your device, and you'll be disappointed
    with the quality of support your device gets from application developers.

    The PVR150 has an onboard MPEG2 encoder mean you'll only consume about 2%
    CPU while recording. It works with common PVR applications including Windows
    Media Center Edition, MythTV, SageTV, GB-PVR, BeyondTV etc.

    Some could say I'm biased, as I'm the developer of a PVR app called GB-PVR
    (see www.gbpvr.com). Like most PVR applications, its designed for Hauppauge
    PVR150/250/350/500. Even though it does generally work with many of the
    clone devices that use the same reference design, if these users of
    encounter problems with the non-mainstream devices, they're pretty much have
    to solve the problem themselves.

    Think very carefully before buying any of these cheaper devices, and know
    what you getting yourself into...

    Good luck.

    nospam, Jun 9, 2005
  17. xray spex

    big cat Guest

    On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 12:56:18 +1200, Mutlley <> wrote:

    >Tony <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 22:09:15 +1200, "xray spex"
    >><> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I'd like to add simple PVR functionality to a PC i.e. record TV programs to
    >>>hard disk for later viewing and timeshift programs while I'm watching them.
    >>>There are a lot of cards around which provide this functionality, does
    >>>anybody have a favourite they'd recommend from personal experience ?
    >>>
    >>>thanks
    >>>

    >>Get one with Hardware Encoding, this frees up the computer..
    >>

    >>Like this one and very Cheap
    >>

    >>http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/prolink-p7000/
    >>
    >>http://www.xpcomputers.co.nz/produc...d=712&osCsid=03a8df79c4a88d2fcb0c6ccfe0c9eeaf
    >>

    >>Web site
    >>

    >>http://www.prolink.com.tw/english/products/multimedia/PixelView
    >>

    >>And a later model
    >>

    >>PixelView PlayTV@P7200
    >>
    >>http://www.prolink.com.tw/english/products/mutimedia.htm

    >Anyone tried this one ??
    >
    >http://www.xpcomputers.co.nz/produc...=1024&osCsid=03a8df79c4a88d2fcb0c6ccfe0c9eeaf

    Are you Joking..?

    big cat, Jun 9, 2005
  18. xray spex

    big cat Guest

    On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 12:58:58 +1200, shannon <> wrote:

    >Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >> Tony wrote:
    >>
    >>> Please do not take the advice that most give out here in this news
    >>> group as
    >>> most of it is flawed..

    >> hahaha... says Roger "Tony" Shepard.

    >The Hauppauge PVR-150 is $217 + GST.
    >
    >Are there any similar hardware encoding tuner cards on sale in NZ ?

    YES

    http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/prolink-p7000/

    NZ$119.00+GST

    http://www.xpcomputers.co.nz/produc...d=712&osCsid=03a8df79c4a88d2fcb0c6ccfe0c9eeaf

    big cat, Jun 9, 2005
  19. xray spex

    big cat Guest

    On 8 Jun 2005 20:07:01 -0500, geoffm <>
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 22:09:15 +1200, "xray spex"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>I'd like to add simple PVR functionality to a PC i.e. record TV programs to
    >>hard disk for later viewing and timeshift programs while I'm watching them.
    >>There are a lot of cards around which provide this functionality, does
    >>anybody have a favourite they'd recommend from personal experience ?
    >>
    >>thanks
    >>

    >Bruce Simpson did an article on Aardvark (www.aardvark.co.nz) a while
    >back on this subject.
    >I bought a USB2 Pixelview tuner box yesterday for the Dell 5150

    What do you expect no hardware encoding and the hogging USB..

    big cat, Jun 9, 2005
  20. xray spex

    big cat Guest

    On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 07:08:19 GMT, "nospam" <> wrote:

    >"xray spex" <> wrote in message
    >> I'd like to add simple PVR functionality to a PC i.e. record TV programs
    >> to hard disk for later viewing and timeshift programs while I'm watching
    >> them. There are a lot of cards around which provide this functionality,
    >> does anybody have a favourite they'd recommend from personal experience ?
    >>
    >> thanks

    >Honestly, get a Hauppauge PVR150. It's not the cheapest card available in
    >New Zealand, but at about $230 it'll provide you much more enjoyment than
    >all the cheaper cards available. This Hauppauge card is very mainstream, and
    >has very good support from the application development community. Buying a
    >PixelView or other cheap no brand capture device will leave you continually
    >hunting for software that works with your device, and you'll be disappointed
    >with the quality of support your device gets from application developers.
    >
    >The PVR150 has an onboard MPEG2 encoder mean you'll only consume about 2%
    >CPU while recording. It works with common PVR applications including Windows
    >Media Center Edition, MythTV, SageTV, GB-PVR, BeyondTV etc.
    >
    >Some could say I'm biased, as I'm the developer of a PVR app called GB-PVR
    >(see www.gbpvr.com). Like most PVR applications, its designed for Hauppauge
    >PVR150/250/350/500. Even though it does generally work with many of the
    >clone devices that use the same reference design, if these users of
    >encounter problems with the non-mainstream devices, they're pretty much have
    >to solve the problem themselves.
    >
    >Think very carefully before buying any of these cheaper devices, and know
    >what you getting yourself into...
    >
    >Good luck.

    May be you should read this review before you spout off about cheap cards

    http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/prolink-p7000/

    They have also brought at a 7200 model.

    big cat, Jun 9, 2005