    want to spend 100 - 150 ....
    any thing to avoid ?

    Cheers

    Jack, Oct 26, 2006

  2. Jack

    Zipper Guest

    Jack wrote:
    > Looking at putting a tv tuner card in my pc ( AMD 2400 1 gig ram )....
    > want to spend 100 - 150 ....
    > any thing to avoid ?
    >
    > Cheers

    Try and get a card with a BT878 chipset it in.
    They are probably the most supported cards out there.

    Zipper, Oct 26, 2006

  3. Jack

    Earl Grey Guest

    Jack wrote:
    > Looking at putting a tv tuner card in my pc ( AMD 2400 1 gig ram )....
    > want to spend 100 - 150 ....
    > any thing to avoid ?
    >
    > Cheers

    It depends on what you want to do with it.
    If you want to run GBPVR you will probably want a Hauppauge PVR150MCE
    OEM from ascent which is cheap for a card with a hardware mpeg2 encoder
    If you just want to watch TV you should get a card that is supported by
    Dscaler http://deinterlace.sourceforge.net/about.htm because the bundled
    viewing software is usually shite.

    Earl Grey, Oct 26, 2006
  4. "Jack" <> wrote in message news:45405d38$...
    > Looking at putting a tv tuner card in my pc ( AMD 2400 1 gig ram )....
    > want to spend 100 - 150 ....
    > any thing to avoid ?

    If you want to record TV, I would absolutely recommend getting one of the
    common cards with *hardware* MPEG2 encoder, like the Hauppauge PVR150.
    You'll end up kicking yourself you get the cheap capture, only to find it
    doesnt work with any of the common TV apps.

    nicely toasted, Oct 26, 2006
  5. On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 19:59:39 +1300, Jack <> wrote:

    >Looking at putting a tv tuner card in my pc ( AMD 2400 1 gig ram )....
    > want to spend 100 - 150 ....
    >any thing to avoid ?
    >
    >Cheers

    I have a PCTV from Pinnacle Systems. It's okay, but I've only ever got
    it to work correctly with Pinnacle's own software. This was a problem,
    because Pinnacle was incredibly slow about creating a version that
    would work with Win XP. I wouldn't buy one by Pinnacle again,
    esepcially with Vista on the way soon.

    It records in various formats, but my 700 MHz system is only really
    fast enough to do MPEG1, which is a bit blocky.

    James

    James McLaughlin, Oct 26, 2006
  6. Jack

    NR Guest

    Jack wrote:
    > Looking at putting a tv tuner card in my pc ( AMD 2400 1 gig ram )....
    > want to spend 100 - 150 ....
    > any thing to avoid ?
    >
    > Cheers

    What operating system are you using?

    Avoid USB.

    Go for hardware mpeg2 encoding (like a hauppauge pvr-150)

    NR, Oct 26, 2006