Tv tuner cards and TV-One on 44.25MHz

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by serafis, Apr 25, 2007.

  1. serafis

    serafis Guest

    Apologies if this is a repeat of earlier post - it didn't show up.

    I am building my first media PC and have bought a Powercolor Theater
    550-Pro Tv tuner card with onboard MPEG2, which is one of the cards
    supported by GBPVR.

    However, I find that TV-One broadcasts in Wellington (Mt Kaukau) on
    VHF 45.25MHz, but this card only seems to tune from around 48MHz
    upwards so it will not receive TV-One. This makes it not really fit
    for purpose.

    So before I return it to the store, does anyone know an easy / cheap
    fix for this problem?

    Or is there another TV-tuner card with onboard MPEG2, supported by
    GBPVR, that will tune to this frequency? Does anyone know what the
    input frequency range of the Hauppauge PVR-150 card is (my other
    choice but the 550-Pro was cheaper at the time)?

    Thanks in advance,

    Jon.

    serafis, Apr 25, 2007

  2. serafis

    sam Guest

    serafis wrote:
    > Apologies if this is a repeat of earlier post - it didn't show up.
    >
    > I am building my first media PC and have bought a Powercolor Theater
    > 550-Pro Tv tuner card with onboard MPEG2, which is one of the cards
    > supported by GBPVR.
    >
    > However, I find that TV-One broadcasts in Wellington (Mt Kaukau) on
    > VHF 45.25MHz, but this card only seems to tune from around 48MHz
    > upwards so it will not receive TV-One. This makes it not really fit
    > for purpose.
    >
    > So before I return it to the store, does anyone know an easy / cheap
    > fix for this problem?
    >
    > Or is there another TV-tuner card with onboard MPEG2, supported by
    > GBPVR, that will tune to this frequency? Does anyone know what the
    > input frequency range of the Hauppauge PVR-150 card is (my other
    > choice but the 550-Pro was cheaper at the time)?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Jon.

    44MHz - 958 MHz
    Get the Hauppauge, it's a great card.

    sam, Apr 25, 2007

  3. serafis

    Ken Guest

    On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 10:12:06 +1200, sam <> wrote:

    >serafis wrote:
    >> Apologies if this is a repeat of earlier post - it didn't show up.
    >>
    >> I am building my first media PC and have bought a Powercolor Theater
    >> 550-Pro Tv tuner card with onboard MPEG2, which is one of the cards
    >> supported by GBPVR.
    >>
    >> However, I find that TV-One broadcasts in Wellington (Mt Kaukau) on
    >> VHF 45.25MHz, but this card only seems to tune from around 48MHz
    >> upwards so it will not receive TV-One. This makes it not really fit
    >> for purpose.
    >>
    >> So before I return it to the store, does anyone know an easy / cheap
    >> fix for this problem?
    >>
    >> Or is there another TV-tuner card with onboard MPEG2, supported by
    >> GBPVR, that will tune to this frequency? Does anyone know what the
    >> input frequency range of the Hauppauge PVR-150 card is (my other
    >> choice but the 550-Pro was cheaper at the time)?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance,
    >>
    >> Jon.
    >>

    >44MHz - 958 MHz
    >Get the Hauppauge, it's a great card.

    Yes the Hauppauge to me would be a far dearer card, Powercolor is a low end brand..

    Ken , Apr 25, 2007
  4. serafis

    sam Guest

    Ken wrote:
    > On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 10:12:06 +1200, sam <> wrote:
    >
    >> serafis wrote:
    >>> Apologies if this is a repeat of earlier post - it didn't show up.
    >>>
    >>> I am building my first media PC and have bought a Powercolor Theater
    >>> 550-Pro Tv tuner card with onboard MPEG2, which is one of the cards
    >>> supported by GBPVR.
    >>>
    >>> However, I find that TV-One broadcasts in Wellington (Mt Kaukau) on
    >>> VHF 45.25MHz, but this card only seems to tune from around 48MHz
    >>> upwards so it will not receive TV-One. This makes it not really fit
    >>> for purpose.
    >>>
    >>> So before I return it to the store, does anyone know an easy / cheap
    >>> fix for this problem?
    >>>
    >>> Or is there another TV-tuner card with onboard MPEG2, supported by
    >>> GBPVR, that will tune to this frequency? Does anyone know what the
    >>> input frequency range of the Hauppauge PVR-150 card is (my other
    >>> choice but the 550-Pro was cheaper at the time)?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks in advance,
    >>>
    >>> Jon.
    >>>

    >> 44MHz - 958 MHz
    >> Get the Hauppauge, it's a great card.

    > Yes the Hauppauge to me would be a far dearer card, Powercolor is a low end brand..

    $120

    sam, Apr 26, 2007
  5. On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 11:03:38 +1200, sam <> wrote in

    > Ken wrote:

    >>> 44MHz - 958 MHz
    >>> Get the Hauppauge, it's a great card.

    >> Yes the Hauppauge to me would be a far dearer card, Powercolor is a low end brand..
    >>

    > $120

    Remember it's Roger Sheppard you're talking to.

    --
    Regards,
    Nicolaas.

    2007 Pricelessware CD now available. 600Mb of the best of the best in
    Freeware. E-Mail me for details.

    .... Adults are obsolete children.

    Nicolaas Hawkins, Apr 26, 2007
  6. serafis

    XPD Guest

    "Nicolaas Hawkins" <> wrote in message

    >>> Yes the Hauppauge to me would be a far dearer card, Powercolor is a
    >>> low end brand..
    >>>

    >> $120

    > Remember it's Roger Sheppard you're talking to.

    Yeah, did someone take down the "Dont feed the Woger or Trolls" sign again ?

    XPD, Apr 26, 2007
  7. serafis

    kornkob Guest

    "serafis" <> wrote in message
    > Apologies if this is a repeat of earlier post - it didn't show up.
    >
    > I am building my first media PC and have bought a Powercolor Theater
    > 550-Pro Tv tuner card with onboard MPEG2, which is one of the cards
    > supported by GBPVR.
    >
    > However, I find that TV-One broadcasts in Wellington (Mt Kaukau) on
    > VHF 45.25MHz, but this card only seems to tune from around 48MHz
    > upwards so it will not receive TV-One. This makes it not really fit
    > for purpose.
    >
    > So before I return it to the store, does anyone know an easy / cheap
    > fix for this problem?
    >
    > Or is there another TV-tuner card with onboard MPEG2, supported by
    > GBPVR, that will tune to this frequency? Does anyone know what the
    > input frequency range of the Hauppauge PVR-150 card is (my other
    > choice but the 550-Pro was cheaper at the time)?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,

    I dont have my 550 pro card in my machine so I cant check, but did you try
    setting your GB-PVR capture source to 'Cable' instead of 'Antenna'? If not,
    then give it a try. It'll scan a much wider set of frequencies than the
    default NZ/Antenna list. Alternatively, in your capture source channel list
    you can change the channel number to 45250000 and it'll try to tune by
    frequency rather than channel number.

    kornkob, Apr 26, 2007
  8. serafis

    sam Guest

    XPD wrote:
    > "Nicolaas Hawkins" <> wrote in message
    >>>>
    >>> $120

    >> Remember it's Roger Sheppard you're talking to.

    > Yeah, did someone take down the "Dont feed the Woger or Trolls" sign again ?

    WTF ?

    sam, Apr 26, 2007
  9. serafis

    XPD Guest

    "sam" <> wrote in message news:462fec64$...
    > XPD wrote:
    >> "Nicolaas Hawkins" <> wrote in message

    >>> Remember it's Roger Sheppard you're talking to.

    >> Yeah, did someone take down the "Dont feed the Woger or Trolls" sign
    >> again ?
    >>

    > WTF ?

    Hehe, you obviously been hanging around here very long ;)

    XPD, Apr 26, 2007
  10. serafis

    serafis Guest

    On Apr 26, 10:12 am, sam <> wrote:
    > serafis wrote:
    > > Apologies if this is a repeat of earlier post - it didn't show up.

    > > I am building my first media PC and have bought a Powercolor Theater
    > > 550-Pro Tv tuner card with onboard MPEG2, which is one of the cards
    > > supported by GBPVR.

    > > However, I find that TV-One broadcasts in Wellington (Mt Kaukau) on
    > > VHF 45.25MHz, but this card only seems to tune from around 48MHz
    > > upwards so it will not receive TV-One. This makes it not really fit
    > > for purpose.

    > > So before I return it to the store, does anyone know an easy / cheap
    > > fix for this problem?

    > > Or is there another TV-tuner card with onboard MPEG2, supported by
    > > GBPVR, that will tune to this frequency? Does anyone know what the
    > > input frequency range of the Hauppauge PVR-150 card is (my other
    > > choice but the 550-Pro was cheaper at the time)?

    > > Thanks in advance,

    > > Jon.

    > 44MHz - 958 MHz
    > Get the Hauppauge, it's a great card.- Hide quoted text -

    I emailed Hauppauge technical support in Singapore and this was their
    response:

    The frequency range starts from 48MHZ for the PVR-150 PCI TV
    Tuner.
    Hope the above information has been of helpful to you. Please
    let me know should you require further assistance.
    Thanks & Regards,
    Anand
    Techsupport Dept.
    Hauppauge Singapore.

    So before I rush out and spend even more on a Hauppauge PVR-150, can
    anyone confirm from their own experience whether it *really* starts at
    44MHz or 48MHz?

    Thanks.

    serafis, Apr 26, 2007
  11. serafis

    serafis Guest

    On Apr 26, 12:00 pm, "kornkob" <> wrote:
    > "serafis" <> wrote in message

    > > Apologies if this is a repeat of earlier post - it didn't show up.

    > > I am building my first media PC and have bought a Powercolor Theater
    > > 550-Pro Tv tuner card with onboard MPEG2, which is one of the cards
    > > supported by GBPVR.

    > > However, I find that TV-One broadcasts in Wellington (Mt Kaukau) on
    > > VHF 45.25MHz, but this card only seems to tune from around 48MHz
    > > upwards so it will not receive TV-One. This makes it not really fit
    > > for purpose.

    > > So before I return it to the store, does anyone know an easy / cheap
    > > fix for this problem?

    > > Or is there another TV-tuner card with onboard MPEG2, supported by
    > > GBPVR, that will tune to this frequency? Does anyone know what the
    > > input frequency range of the Hauppauge PVR-150 card is (my other
    > > choice but the 550-Pro was cheaper at the time)?

    > > Thanks in advance,

    > I dont have my 550 pro card in my machine so I cant check, but did you try
    > setting your GB-PVR capture source to 'Cable' instead of 'Antenna'? If not,
    > then give it a try. It'll scan a much wider set of frequencies than the
    > default NZ/Antenna list. Alternatively, in your capture source channel list
    > you can change the channel number to 45250000 and it'll try to tune by
    > frequency rather than channel number.- Hide quoted text -

    Thanks for the response. I've tried Cable, as Antenna didn't pick up
    many channels at all Cable picks up most, just not TV-One. Watching
    the frequency scan using Cable was how I guessed it starts at around
    48MHz. I also tried manually changing the frequency for TV1 to
    45250000 as you suggested, when switching to that channel it continues
    to display the previous channel so I'm guessing it just can't do that
    frequency (as many cards apparently cannot).

    So looks like the 550-Pro has to go back, and maybe get a Hauppauge
    PVR-150MCE instead as I believe it comes with an IR blaster too (does
    it?) so I could use an external tuner source such as the VCR instead.
    Thanks for your help.

    serafis, Apr 26, 2007
  12. serafis

    Ken Guest

    On 26 Apr 2007 14:10:40 -0700, serafis <> wrote:

    >On Apr 26, 10:12 am, sam <> wrote:
    >> serafis wrote:
    >> > Apologies if this is a repeat of earlier post - it didn't show up.

    >> > I am building my first media PC and have bought a Powercolor Theater
    >> > 550-Pro Tv tuner card with onboard MPEG2, which is one of the cards
    >> > supported by GBPVR.

    >> > However, I find that TV-One broadcasts in Wellington (Mt Kaukau) on
    >> > VHF 45.25MHz, but this card only seems to tune from around 48MHz
    >> > upwards so it will not receive TV-One. This makes it not really fit
    >> > for purpose.

    >> > So before I return it to the store, does anyone know an easy / cheap
    >> > fix for this problem?

    >> > Or is there another TV-tuner card with onboard MPEG2, supported by
    >> > GBPVR, that will tune to this frequency? Does anyone know what the
    >> > input frequency range of the Hauppauge PVR-150 card is (my other
    >> > choice but the 550-Pro was cheaper at the time)?

    >> > Thanks in advance,

    >> > Jon.

    >> 44MHz - 958 MHz
    >> Get the Hauppauge, it's a great card.- Hide quoted text -

    >I emailed Hauppauge technical support in Singapore and this was their
    >response:
    >
    > The frequency range starts from 48MHZ for the PVR-150 PCI TV
    >Tuner.
    > Hope the above information has been of helpful to you. Please
    >let me know should you require further assistance.
    > Thanks & Regards,
    > Anand
    > Techsupport Dept.
    > Hauppauge Singapore.
    >
    >So before I rush out and spend even more on a Hauppauge PVR-150, can
    >anyone confirm from their own experience whether it *really* starts at
    >44MHz or 48MHz?
    >
    >Thanks.

    Unless you can get a Special card for New Zealand you have had it, the market here is far to small.

    The UE Countries start at 48mHz..

    So may you should move to Auckland..?

    Ken , Apr 26, 2007
  13. serafis

    sam Guest

    serafis wrote:
    > On Apr 26, 10:12 am, sam <> wrote:
    >> serafis wrote:
    >>> Apologies if this is a repeat of earlier post - it didn't show up.
    >>> I am building my first media PC and have bought a Powercolor Theater
    >>> 550-Pro Tv tuner card with onboard MPEG2, which is one of the cards
    >>> supported by GBPVR.
    >>> However, I find that TV-One broadcasts in Wellington (Mt Kaukau) on
    >>> VHF 45.25MHz, but this card only seems to tune from around 48MHz
    >>> upwards so it will not receive TV-One. This makes it not really fit
    >>> for purpose.
    >>> So before I return it to the store, does anyone know an easy / cheap
    >>> fix for this problem?
    >>> Or is there another TV-tuner card with onboard MPEG2, supported by
    >>> GBPVR, that will tune to this frequency? Does anyone know what the
    >>> input frequency range of the Hauppauge PVR-150 card is (my other
    >>> choice but the 550-Pro was cheaper at the time)?
    >>> Thanks in advance,
    >>> Jon.

    >> 44MHz - 958 MHz
    >> Get the Hauppauge, it's a great card.- Hide quoted text -

    > I emailed Hauppauge technical support in Singapore and this was their
    > response:
    >
    > The frequency range starts from 48MHZ for the PVR-150 PCI TV
    > Tuner.
    > Hope the above information has been of helpful to you. Please
    > let me know should you require further assistance.
    > Thanks & Regards,
    > Anand
    > Techsupport Dept.
    > Hauppauge Singapore.
    >
    > So before I rush out and spend even more on a Hauppauge PVR-150, can
    > anyone confirm from their own experience whether it *really* starts at
    > 44MHz or 48MHz?
    >
    > Thanks.

    I can tune 45.25 with Dscaler on a PVR-150
    I'm on cable and not LOS with Kaukau so I can't tell for sure without a
    lot of fuckaround.
    But if Hauppauge says its not possible, they should know, its their card.

    sam, Apr 27, 2007
  14. serafis

    serafis Guest

    On Apr 27, 11:11 am, sam <> wrote:
    > serafis wrote:
    > >> 44MHz - 958 MHz
    > >> Get the Hauppauge, it's a great card.- Hide quoted text -

    > > I emailed Hauppauge technical support in Singapore and this was their
    > > response:

    > > The frequency range starts from 48MHZ for the PVR-150 PCI TV
    > > Tuner.
    > > Hope the above information has been of helpful to you. Please
    > > let me know should you require further assistance.
    > > Thanks & Regards,
    > > Anand
    > > Techsupport Dept.
    > > Hauppauge Singapore.

    > > So before I rush out and spend even more on a Hauppauge PVR-150, can
    > > anyone confirm from their own experience whether it *really* starts at
    > > 44MHz or 48MHz?

    > > Thanks.

    > I can tune 45.25 with Dscaler on a PVR-150
    > I'm on cable and not LOS with Kaukau so I can't tell for sure without a
    > lot of fuckaround.
    > But if Hauppauge says its not possible, they should know, its their card.- Hide quoted text -

    Well I went ahead and exchanged the 550-Pro for the Hauppauge PVR-150
    MCE anyway, and while it only scans from 48MHz upwards, if you set the
    frequency manually then it does tune 45.2.5MHz and TV-One comes up
    perfectly. Also noise reduction on the weaker channels is better.

    Plus it comes with an IR blaster and the shop let me have it for only
    $10 (+GST) more than the 550-Pro. So I'm a happy camper and I don't
    need to move to Auckland now.

    Thanks for all the help.

    serafis, Apr 27, 2007