TV to Hard Disk Recording - Part 2: Return of the noob :-)

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lodi, Dec 31, 2011.

  1. Lodi

    Lodi Guest

    Hi all...

    Running Ubuntu 10.10 with KDE

    Middle of last month (Nov 2011) I asked nz.comp for some advice in setting
    up a hard disk recording system on an old P4 system using my Sky box as the
    source. Primarily the rugby channel :)

    Just to get used to capturing I bought (as advised) a Hauppauge PVR-150
    capture card off TradeMe. Ubuntu recognized the card as /dev/video0 no
    problem but "cat /dev/video0 > tape.mpg" gave nothing but a zero-byte file.

    Was understandably confused for a few days but it turns out the card was
    damaged in transit. When I ran dmesg it came up with "cx25840: device_id =
    0x0000" instead of "cx25840: device_id = 0x8433" which meant the cx25843
    chip on the card was dead. Managed to get a refund no probs so that was
    good.

    The upshot is that the card not working meant I had to find out why and in
    the process I managed to do a bit of learning, even though I didn't actually
    do any capturing.

    So feeling a little bit more knowledgeable I've spent the last few weeks
    building up a better system than the old P4. Dug out a Gigabyte Socket AM2
    board. Back to TradeMe to get a dual core Athlon 64 4800+ and an additional
    2GB ram stick to give me 4GB. Am using an nVidia Geforce 8400 GS PCI-e. Will
    be running Ubuntu 11.10 64-bit.

    Would like advice on the minimum size hard disk to get. And thoughts on how
    to partition it, if necessary. Will mainly be recording rugby games so it'll
    be at most two hours of recording in one session. And the hard disk is only
    for capturing as I have a 1TB external USB drive I'll use for long term
    storage.

    And most importantly what sort of capture card should I be looking at.

    Price is not an issue....hahahahahahahahhahahaha. Just joking. Would like to
    get both for $150-ish or less.

    Had a look at Mythbuntu as previously suggested and am not really sure if
    that's what I want. As I said in my original thread I'm basically looking
    for a replacement for my Mustek DVD-recorder. In other words, record a game
    of rugby on my computer while watching it on my TV and eventually end up
    with a 1GB-ish avi of the game on my 1TB hard drive.

    Hard disk and capture card advice appreciated.

    Regards
    Lodi
    Lodi, Dec 31, 2011

  2. Lodi

    Gib Bogle Guest

    On 31/12/2011 3:59 p.m., Lodi wrote:
    > Hi all...
    >
    > Running Ubuntu 10.10 with KDE
    >
    > Middle of last month (Nov 2011) I asked nz.comp for some advice in setting
    > up a hard disk recording system on an old P4 system using my Sky box as the
    > source. Primarily the rugby channel :)
    >
    > Just to get used to capturing I bought (as advised) a Hauppauge PVR-150
    > capture card off TradeMe. Ubuntu recognized the card as /dev/video0 no
    > problem but "cat /dev/video0> tape.mpg" gave nothing but a zero-byte file.
    >
    > Was understandably confused for a few days but it turns out the card was
    > damaged in transit. When I ran dmesg it came up with "cx25840: device_id =
    > 0x0000" instead of "cx25840: device_id = 0x8433" which meant the cx25843
    > chip on the card was dead. Managed to get a refund no probs so that was
    > good.
    >
    > The upshot is that the card not working meant I had to find out why and in
    > the process I managed to do a bit of learning, even though I didn't actually
    > do any capturing.
    >
    > So feeling a little bit more knowledgeable I've spent the last few weeks
    > building up a better system than the old P4. Dug out a Gigabyte Socket AM2
    > board. Back to TradeMe to get a dual core Athlon 64 4800+ and an additional
    > 2GB ram stick to give me 4GB. Am using an nVidia Geforce 8400 GS PCI-e. Will
    > be running Ubuntu 11.10 64-bit.
    >
    > Would like advice on the minimum size hard disk to get. And thoughts on how
    > to partition it, if necessary. Will mainly be recording rugby games so it'll
    > be at most two hours of recording in one session. And the hard disk is only
    > for capturing as I have a 1TB external USB drive I'll use for long term
    > storage.
    >
    > And most importantly what sort of capture card should I be looking at.
    >
    > Price is not an issue....hahahahahahahahhahahaha. Just joking. Would like to
    > get both for $150-ish or less.
    >
    > Had a look at Mythbuntu as previously suggested and am not really sure if
    > that's what I want. As I said in my original thread I'm basically looking
    > for a replacement for my Mustek DVD-recorder. In other words, record a game
    > of rugby on my computer while watching it on my TV and eventually end up
    > with a 1GB-ish avi of the game on my 1TB hard drive.
    >
    > Hard disk and capture card advice appreciated.
    >
    > Regards
    > Lodi

    Hi Lodi, I don't know anything about this technology, but I'm
    interested myself. One question that occurs to me is what sort of codec
    the video-creating software would use. In another context I've found
    that running an avi through RipBot264, which uses h.264, can reduce file
    size significantly.
    Gib Bogle, Dec 31, 2011

  3. On Sat, 31 Dec 2011 15:59:11 +1300, Lodi <> wrote:

    >Hi all...
    >
    >Running Ubuntu 10.10 with KDE
    >
    >Middle of last month (Nov 2011) I asked nz.comp for some advice in setting
    >up a hard disk recording system on an old P4 system using my Sky box as the
    >source. Primarily the rugby channel :)
    >
    >Just to get used to capturing I bought (as advised) a Hauppauge PVR-150
    >capture card off TradeMe. Ubuntu recognized the card as /dev/video0 no
    >problem but "cat /dev/video0 > tape.mpg" gave nothing but a zero-byte file.
    >
    >Was understandably confused for a few days but it turns out the card was
    >damaged in transit. When I ran dmesg it came up with "cx25840: device_id =
    >0x0000" instead of "cx25840: device_id = 0x8433" which meant the cx25843
    >chip on the card was dead. Managed to get a refund no probs so that was
    >good.
    >
    >The upshot is that the card not working meant I had to find out why and in
    >the process I managed to do a bit of learning, even though I didn't actually
    >do any capturing.
    >
    >So feeling a little bit more knowledgeable I've spent the last few weeks
    >building up a better system than the old P4. Dug out a Gigabyte Socket AM2
    >board. Back to TradeMe to get a dual core Athlon 64 4800+ and an additional
    >2GB ram stick to give me 4GB. Am using an nVidia Geforce 8400 GS PCI-e. Will
    >be running Ubuntu 11.10 64-bit.
    >
    >Would like advice on the minimum size hard disk to get. And thoughts on how
    >to partition it, if necessary. Will mainly be recording rugby games so it'll
    >be at most two hours of recording in one session. And the hard disk is only
    >for capturing as I have a 1TB external USB drive I'll use for long term
    >storage.
    >
    >And most importantly what sort of capture card should I be looking at.
    >
    >Price is not an issue....hahahahahahahahhahahaha. Just joking. Would like to
    >get both for $150-ish or less.
    >
    >Had a look at Mythbuntu as previously suggested and am not really sure if
    >that's what I want. As I said in my original thread I'm basically looking
    >for a replacement for my Mustek DVD-recorder. In other words, record a game
    >of rugby on my computer while watching it on my TV and eventually end up
    >with a 1GB-ish avi of the game on my 1TB hard drive.
    >
    >Hard disk and capture card advice appreciated.
    >
    >Regards
    >Lodi

    One of the cheap USB DVB-T tuners from TradeMe should do the job, as
    long as your UHF antenna is giving adequate signal strength. The
    problem is finding one that is well enough described that you can look
    it up and find out if it has Linux support. There aren't any of the
    kWorld ones that I know work advertised at the moment.

    This is a good one:

    http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/peripherals/other/auction-435386630.htm

    but a bit on the expensive side. This seems to be the same thing, but
    $1 reserve, so if you could get it at a reasonable price, it would be
    excellent:

    http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/peripherals/other/auction-436414601.htm

    I am not sure about the remote support though - I use my MCE remote,
    so I have never tried the remotes with my ones.
    Stephen Worthington, Dec 31, 2011
  4. Lodi

    Lodi Guest

    > Stephen Worthington wrote:

    > One of the cheap USB DVB-T tuners from TradeMe should do the job, as
    > long as your UHF antenna is giving adequate signal strength. The
    > problem is finding one that is well enough described that you can look
    > it up and find out if it has Linux support. There aren't any of the
    > kWorld ones that I know work advertised at the moment.
    >
    > This is a good one:
    >

    > http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/peripherals/other/auction-435386630.htm
    >
    > but a bit on the expensive side. This seems to be the same thing, but
    > $1 reserve, so if you could get it at a reasonable price, it would be
    > excellent:
    >

    > http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/peripherals/other/auction-436414601.htm
    >
    > I am not sure about the remote support though - I use my MCE remote,
    > so I have never tried the remotes with my ones.

    Hello Stephen,

    Thanks for the reply and the links.

    Stupid noob question...how do I plug the composite video + audio cables
    (yellow + red and white) from the back of my Sky box into the Nano stick. It
    only has an input for an aerial.

    And I don't think the Nano stick on its own will pick up the Rugby Channel.
    For that I'll need the Sky box.

    Thanks
    Lodi
    Lodi, Dec 31, 2011
  5. Lodi

    Lodi Guest

    > On Jan 1, 10:40 am, Lodi <> wrote:
    >
    > Stupid noob question...how do I plug the composite video + audio cables
    > (yellow + red and white) from the back of my Sky box into the Nano stick.It
    > only has an input for an aerial.

    Answering my own question....

    One of these possibly

    3 RCA AV female to male RF Connector Adapter Cable
    http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=810

    Lodi
    Lodi, Dec 31, 2011
  6. Lodi

    Gordon Guest

    On 2011-12-31, Lodi <> wrote:
    >> Stephen Worthington wrote:

    >> One of the cheap USB DVB-T tuners from TradeMe should do the job, as
    >> long as your UHF antenna is giving adequate signal strength. The
    >> problem is finding one that is well enough described that you can look
    >> it up and find out if it has Linux support. There aren't any of the
    >> kWorld ones that I know work advertised at the moment.
    >>
    >> This is a good one:
    >>

    >> http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/peripherals/other/auction-435386630.htm
    >>
    >> but a bit on the expensive side. This seems to be the same thing, but
    >> $1 reserve, so if you could get it at a reasonable price, it would be
    >> excellent:
    >>

    >> http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/peripherals/other/auction-436414601.htm
    >>
    >> I am not sure about the remote support though - I use my MCE remote,
    >> so I have never tried the remotes with my ones.

    > Hello Stephen,
    >
    > Thanks for the reply and the links.
    >
    > Stupid noob question...how do I plug the composite video + audio cables
    > (yellow + red and white) from the back of my Sky box into the Nano stick. It
    > only has an input for an aerial.

    Lordi, you could have put that a *great* deal better. Seems to me you are
    being totally sarcastic, when a, Thanks but I am wish to record SKY, would
    have been better.

    I do not recall you saying that you wished to record something off SKY. The
    devil, and help, is often in the detail.

    Gordon, Jan 1, 2012
  7. Lodi

    Lodi Guest

    > Gordon wrote:

    Hello Gordon,

    Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not. At the start of this thread I
    mentioned recording off Sky. And I also referenced my November thread where
    I went on about Sky.

    Certainly not being sarcastic to Stephen as he me gave huge amounts of
    information in my previous thread (the one where I went on about recording
    from Sky).

    Also he's made me aware of USB capture devices. Which led me to the "Easycap
    USB Video Audio Capture Adapter Card VC001" on trademe. Only $12 so it's not
    pro but it's a small investment in helping me get used to the whole
    recording to hard disk thing. So I'm thinking I'll buy one and try it out.
    Note the female 3 RCA adapters which answered my question.

    http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/components/video-
    cards/other/auction-436415118.htm

    (To see the EasyCap USB Capture device highlight both lines of the above web
    address, right-click copy, go to your browser, left-click in the address
    bar, right-click paste, hit enter)

    (That was sarcasm)

    Lodi
    Lodi, Jan 1, 2012
  8. Lodi

    Lodi Guest

    >On Dec 31 2011, 3:59 pm, Lodi <> wrote:

    > Hard disk and capture card advice appreciated.

    Managed to buy another PVR-150 for $25 from Trademe. Hopefully this
    one won't be damaged in transit.

    Also "permanently borrowed" a 250GB sata drive off my nephew. That
    will do for the moment.

    Will report back in due course.

    Lodi
    Lodi, Jan 1, 2012