TV to hard disk recording - Noob advice please

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lodi, Nov 13, 2011.

  1. Lodi

    Lodi Guest

    Hi all...

    Running Ubuntu 10.10 with KDE.

    Total noob when it comes to hard disk recording programmes off the telly. So
    does anyone have any keywords I can google or hardware advice.

    Currently when I need to I can record onto a Mustek DVD-recorder. But the
    obvious drawback is write-once media. You tend to end up with piles of
    DVD's. (Unless I spend big bucks for a decent DVD-RW...which has a limited
    life anyway)

    Basically I just want to replace a VCR with a hard disk for as cheap as
    possible. I have loads of hard disks and scavenged systems lying around. Any
    advice on taking the cable that runs between the red/white/yellow sockets of
    my TV and Sky decoder and routing said cable to a hard disk.

    Am penguin friendly so feel free to use big words :)

    Thanks much
    Lodi

    Lodi, Nov 13, 2011

  2. In article <j9pjg7$qt$>, Lodi <> wrote:
    >Hi all...
    >
    >Running Ubuntu 10.10 with KDE.
    >
    >Total noob when it comes to hard disk recording programmes off the telly. So
    >does anyone have any keywords I can google or hardware advice.
    >
    >Currently when I need to I can record onto a Mustek DVD-recorder. But the
    >obvious drawback is write-once media. You tend to end up with piles of
    >DVD's. (Unless I spend big bucks for a decent DVD-RW...which has a limited
    >life anyway)

    DVD-RWs are about $2 a disk from warehouse or Jaycar. After 3 years
    (mostly running 10 of the Jaycar ones), we are yet to have one that doesn't
    work. Much cheaper than throw away DVDs. :)

    >Basically I just want to replace a VCR with a hard disk for as cheap as
    >possible. I have loads of hard disks and scavenged systems lying around. Any
    >advice on taking the cable that runs between the red/white/yellow sockets of
    >my TV and Sky decoder and routing said cable to a hard disk.

    Red and white are sound IIRC and the yellow is the video. We have run
    computer (running vista !$#%$#) video to an old TV without problems.
    Probably getting the right cable is all you need to do here ?

    >Am penguin friendly so feel free to use big words :)

    :) Sort of not directly related ... there are windows based 'media systems'
    out there that are basically what you want (I think :) ) for around
    $300-$500. My understanding (which could be wrong :) ) is that the hard part
    of doing this with penguins is the TV tuner card. Some do not play well with
    linux. That typed, there are sites out there that rate hardware for
    compatibility etc., so check them out before buying/trying things ?

    My next penguin will be KDE and mint flavoured and probably version 10
    based, (to get a stable version with all the "necessary" media things
    included). Perhaps a mint penguin could be useful for you as well ? Add a
    comaptible TV tuner card, VLC, and all might be well ? :)

    Good luck ... and let us know how you get on. Might be something I want to
    do in future. :)

    Thanks

    Bruce Sinclair, Nov 14, 2011

  3. On Mon, 14 Nov 2011 12:22:45 +1300, Lodi <> wrote:

    >Hi all...
    >
    >Running Ubuntu 10.10 with KDE.
    >
    >Total noob when it comes to hard disk recording programmes off the telly. So
    >does anyone have any keywords I can google or hardware advice.
    >
    >Currently when I need to I can record onto a Mustek DVD-recorder. But the
    >obvious drawback is write-once media. You tend to end up with piles of
    >DVD's. (Unless I spend big bucks for a decent DVD-RW...which has a limited
    >life anyway)
    >
    >Basically I just want to replace a VCR with a hard disk for as cheap as
    >possible. I have loads of hard disks and scavenged systems lying around. Any
    >advice on taking the cable that runs between the red/white/yellow sockets of
    >my TV and Sky decoder and routing said cable to a hard disk.

    Go get a DishTV T1020 STB PVR as around $135 was the latest low
    price and a WD 500Gb USB powered hard drive, at around $90 or even less
    this has replaced one of my VCR's, this is hard to beet for price.

    Frank Williams, Nov 14, 2011
  4. Lodi

    Lodi Guest

    > Frank Williams wrote:

    >> On Mon, 14 Nov 2011 12:22:45 +1300, Lodi <> wrote:

    >>Any advice on taking the cable that runs between the red/white/yellow
    >>sockets of my TV and Sky decoder and routing said cable to a hard disk.

    > Go get a DishTV T1020 STB PVR as around $135 was the latest low
    > price and a WD 500Gb USB powered hard drive, at around $90 or even less
    > this has replaced one of my VCR's, this is hard to beet for price.

    Hello Frank...

    Thanks for the reply.

    Downloaded the manual for the T1020 STB PVR and as far as I can make out
    there's no input to the unit apart from a UHF aerial.

    Can't see how to run a Sky decoder through it. Is the T1020 "locked in" to
    Freeview.

    Don't know much about Freeview but it seems very limited in channels (how do
    I get the Rugby Channel :)

    The basic unit is the right idea (namely a box that records TV onto a hard
    disk) and the price is right.

    But if Freeview-based PVR's are all we can get in NZ I may need to look at a
    capture card.

    Thanks again
    Lodi

    Lodi, Nov 14, 2011
  5. Lodi

    PeeCee Guest

    On 14/11/2011 12:22 p.m., Lodi wrote:
    > Hi all...
    >
    > Running Ubuntu 10.10 with KDE.
    >
    > Total noob when it comes to hard disk recording programmes off the telly. So
    > does anyone have any keywords I can google or hardware advice.
    >
    > Currently when I need to I can record onto a Mustek DVD-recorder. But the
    > obvious drawback is write-once media. You tend to end up with piles of
    > DVD's. (Unless I spend big bucks for a decent DVD-RW...which has a limited
    > life anyway)
    >
    > Basically I just want to replace a VCR with a hard disk for as cheap as
    > possible. I have loads of hard disks and scavenged systems lying around. Any
    > advice on taking the cable that runs between the red/white/yellow sockets of
    > my TV and Sky decoder and routing said cable to a hard disk.
    >
    > Am penguin friendly so feel free to use big words :)
    >
    > Thanks much
    > Lodi

    Lodi

    (by "Hard Drive" I take it you mean "System Box" as there is no way you
    can wire a "Hard Drive" as in a Western Digital or Segate Hard Drive, to
    the A/V outputs of a a Media device)

    If you have a 'reasonably' grunty System box lying around (I would think
    a P4/Athlon X2) the easiest solution is likely to be a PCI/PCIe/USB
    DVB-S/T tuner attachment.

    They cost $100-$200 ish so within your budget if you were contemplating
    a Dish TV box.

    OS of your choice and tuner compatibility.

    As a standalone could be refined to the task required.

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Nov 14, 2011
  6. Lodi

    Gordon Guest

    On 2011-11-13, Lodi <> wrote:
    > Hi all...
    >
    > Running Ubuntu 10.10 with KDE.
    >
    > Total noob when it comes to hard disk recording programmes off the telly. So
    > does anyone have any keywords I can google or hardware advice.

    One suggestion.

    Mythtv.

    Mythbuntu.

    Mythbuntu works okay. Can use as a desktop also.

    Tricky parts I found are 1) Making sure the hardware (tuner) is supported 2)
    finding the config values for NZ.

    I would suggest that you put it on a seperate machine, or have good backups.
    In my "fiddling" I messed things up some bad on more than one occassion.

    This will allow you to put on one of the special MythTV distros. MythDora,
    is another but the developer has had to give up as he has a 2.5 year old
    which is taking his time.

    http://www.harecoded.com/how-to-watch-and-record-tv-with-pc-ubuntu-linux-99682

    http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Video/Record-TV-31137.shtml
    starting out version 0.something small.

    Hauppauge does TV tuners in more flavours than an icecream shop. The
    NOVA-S_Plus works with Linux and satellite reception.

    I seem to remember their being a site for TV and Linux, what works etc.

    Gordon, Nov 14, 2011
  7. On Mon, 14 Nov 2011 12:22:45 +1300, Lodi <> wrote:

    >Hi all...
    >
    >Running Ubuntu 10.10 with KDE.
    >
    >Total noob when it comes to hard disk recording programmes off the telly. So
    >does anyone have any keywords I can google or hardware advice.
    >
    >Currently when I need to I can record onto a Mustek DVD-recorder. But the
    >obvious drawback is write-once media. You tend to end up with piles of
    >DVD's. (Unless I spend big bucks for a decent DVD-RW...which has a limited
    >life anyway)
    >
    >Basically I just want to replace a VCR with a hard disk for as cheap as
    >possible. I have loads of hard disks and scavenged systems lying around. Any
    >advice on taking the cable that runs between the red/white/yellow sockets of
    >my TV and Sky decoder and routing said cable to a hard disk.
    >
    >Am penguin friendly so feel free to use big words :)
    >
    >Thanks much
    >Lodi

    MythTV is the major Linux based TV system: http://mythtv.org. I run
    Mythbuntu, which is a MythTV distro based on Ubuntu. But you can just
    load the MythTV packages onto any standard Ubuntu system. Then you
    need several key things:

    1) Up to three DVB-T tuners (one per DVB-T multiplex: TVNZ, MediaWorks
    and Kordia). Three allows you to allow you to record from all the
    FreeviewHD channels at once, but lots of people make do with only two.

    2) Or alternatively, if you are out of range of good DVB-T reception,
    up to two DVB-S or DVB-S2 tuners to receive from satellite. You can
    use your existing Sky dish.

    3) An Nvidia video card running VDPAU drivers to do playback of DVB-T
    recordings. It is not possible to adequately play back DVB-T
    recordings without hardware acceleration of the H.264 video - just
    using CPU power does not work. The card needs to be able to do the
    best interlace modes to prevent slight jerkiness on playback. The
    recommended card is a GT 220 model or better. I use a silent GT 220
    (takes 2 slots). You can also do the recordings on a "backend" PC
    that does not have an Nvidia card and the do the playback over
    ethernet on a different PC running the MythTV "frontend" software.

    4) To record from your Sky decoder, you need a card that will do
    hardware encoding to MPEG2 format recordings, and is supported to
    Linux. I use a PCI based Hauppauge PVR-500, but the recommended card
    is a Hauppauge PVR-150. The PVR-500 is just two PVR-150s on the same
    card. These are hard to get new, but do appear on TradeMe from time
    to time. There may be other cards now that can do this, but you need
    to be careful choosing them. You normally connect the Sky decoder to
    the PVR-150 card with an S-Video cable for the best quality of
    recordings, but composite video (your yellow cable) will work.

    5) To get EPG, you can download the listings for Freeview from
    http://nzepg.org.

    6) To get EPG for Sky, you need to have a DVB-S or DVB-S2 card
    installed, so that you can run epgsnoop to get the listings from the
    EIT data broadcast on the Sky satellite channels. You can also get
    the EIT data from the Freeview satellite channels and use that for the
    Freeview EPG.

    7) You need a fair amount of disk space. HD programs from TV3 or TV1
    take 5-6 Gibytes per hour of recording. I recommend at least a 1
    Tbyte drive. When recording from many channels at once, at least two
    hard drives are necessary to keep up. I have three drives for
    recordings and often record 4 or 5 channels at the same time.

    To choose Linux compatible tuner cards, first look at
    http://linuxtv.org - they have listings of things that do and don't
    work, which are not always as up to date as we might like. Watch out
    for the required kernel version - some will not work with the older
    kernel used in 10.10. There are lots of USB DVB-T tuners available,
    including some that turn up on TradeMe for around $30, such as the
    Afatech based Kworld DVB-T 395UR ones. The Pinnacle PCTV Nano Stick
    is the one I recommend though - you can get it for around $60 on
    TradeMe. It has a more sensitive receiver and seems more reliable to
    me. Or you can use the Hauppauge WinTV Nova TD-500 or Nova T-500 dual
    PCI cards (dual USB based tuners on one card). On newer motherboards,
    there are supported single and dual tuner PCIe cards, but these are
    usually more expensive that the USB tuners from TradeMe.

    There is a MythTVNZ mailing list for help in getting it all to work -
    Google should find it for you.

    Stephen Worthington, Nov 14, 2011
  8. On Mon, 14 Nov 2011 19:56:36 +1300, PeeCee <> wrote:

    >On 14/11/2011 12:22 p.m., Lodi wrote:
    >> Hi all...
    >>
    >> Running Ubuntu 10.10 with KDE.
    >>
    >> Total noob when it comes to hard disk recording programmes off the telly. So
    >> does anyone have any keywords I can google or hardware advice.
    >>
    >> Currently when I need to I can record onto a Mustek DVD-recorder. But the
    >> obvious drawback is write-once media. You tend to end up with piles of
    >> DVD's. (Unless I spend big bucks for a decent DVD-RW...which has a limited
    >> life anyway)
    >>
    >> Basically I just want to replace a VCR with a hard disk for as cheap as
    >> possible. I have loads of hard disks and scavenged systems lying around. Any
    >> advice on taking the cable that runs between the red/white/yellow sockets of
    >> my TV and Sky decoder and routing said cable to a hard disk.
    >>
    >> Am penguin friendly so feel free to use big words :)
    >>
    >> Thanks much
    >> Lodi

    >Lodi
    >
    >(by "Hard Drive" I take it you mean "System Box" as there is no way you
    >can wire a "Hard Drive" as in a Western Digital or Segate Hard Drive, to
    >the A/V outputs of a a Media device)
    >
    >If you have a 'reasonably' grunty System box lying around (I would think
    >a P4/Athlon X2) the easiest solution is likely to be a PCI/PCIe/USB
    >DVB-S/T tuner attachment.

    Yes but will it run on a Lunix system..???

    Frank Williams, Nov 14, 2011
  9. Lodi

    Lodi Guest

    > Gordon wrote:

    > On 2011-11-13, Lodi <> wrote:
    >> Hi all...
    >>
    >> Running Ubuntu 10.10 with KDE.
    >>
    >> Total noob when it comes to hard disk recording programmes off the telly.
    >> So does anyone have any keywords I can google or hardware advice.

    > One suggestion.
    >
    > Mythtv.
    >
    > Mythbuntu.
    >
    > Mythbuntu works okay. Can use as a desktop also.
    >
    > Tricky parts I found are 1) Making sure the hardware (tuner) is supported
    > 2) finding the config values for NZ.
    >
    > I would suggest that you put it on a seperate machine, or have good
    > backups. In my "fiddling" I messed things up some bad on more than one
    > occassion.
    >
    > This will allow you to put on one of the special MythTV distros. MythDora,
    > is another but the developer has had to give up as he has a 2.5 year old
    > which is taking his time.
    >
    > http://www.harecoded.com/how-to-watch-and-record-tv-with-pc-ubuntu-

    linux-99682

    > http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Video/Record-TV-31137.shtml
    > starting out version 0.something small.
    >
    > Hauppauge does TV tuners in more flavours than an icecream shop. The
    > NOVA-S_Plus works with Linux and satellite reception.
    >

    > I seem to remember their being a site for TV and Linux, what works etc.

    Thanks Gordon. Mythbuntu seems to be the way I should be heading. Just have
    to sort out a card and a box to run it in.

    Am always nervous about buying hardware that I've never bought before i.e a
    capture card. Mainly Linux compatibility worries. Thanks for the Hauppauge
    recommendation.

    Regards
    Lodi

    Lodi, Nov 14, 2011
  10. Lodi

    Lodi Guest

    > PeeCee wrote:

    > On 14/11/2011 12:22 p.m., Lodi wrote:
    >> Hi all...
    >>
    >> Running Ubuntu 10.10 with KDE.
    >>
    >> Total noob when it comes to hard disk recording programmes off the telly.
    >> So does anyone have any keywords I can google or hardware advice.
    >>
    >> Currently when I need to I can record onto a Mustek DVD-recorder. But the
    >> obvious drawback is write-once media. You tend to end up with piles of
    >> DVD's. (Unless I spend big bucks for a decent DVD-RW...which has a
    >> limited life anyway)
    >>
    >> Basically I just want to replace a VCR with a hard disk for as cheap as
    >> possible. I have loads of hard disks and scavenged systems lying around.
    >> Any advice on taking the cable that runs between the red/white/yellow
    >> sockets of my TV and Sky decoder and routing said cable to a hard disk.
    >>
    >> Am penguin friendly so feel free to use big words :)
    >>
    >> Thanks much
    >> Lodi

    > Lodi
    >
    > (by "Hard Drive" I take it you mean "System Box" as there is no way you
    > can wire a "Hard Drive" as in a Western Digital or Segate Hard Drive, to
    > the A/V outputs of a a Media device)
    >
    > If you have a 'reasonably' grunty System box lying around (I would think
    > a P4/Athlon X2) the easiest solution is likely to be a PCI/PCIe/USB
    > DVB-S/T tuner attachment.
    >
    > They cost $100-$200 ish so within your budget if you were contemplating
    > a Dish TV box.
    >
    > OS of your choice and tuner compatibility.
    >
    > As a standalone could be refined to the task required.
    >
    > Best
    > Paul.

    Thanks for the advice Paul.

    Oddly enough I'm writing this from a P4 2.6GHz which I could easily dedicate
    as a standalone.

    It only has 1GB memory, DDR 266. Is that sufficient.

    No PCIe unfortunately. Just plain old PCI

    Thanks
    Lodi

    Lodi, Nov 14, 2011
  11. Lodi

    Lodi Guest

> [...]

    > http://linuxtv.org - they have listings of things that do and don't
    > work, which are not always as up to date as we might like. Watch out
    > for the required kernel version - some will not work with the older
    > kernel used in 10.10. There are lots of USB DVB-T tuners available,
    > including some that turn up on TradeMe for around $30, such as the
    > Afatech based Kworld DVB-T 395UR ones. The Pinnacle PCTV Nano Stick
    > is the one I recommend though - you can get it for around $60 on
    > TradeMe. It has a more sensitive receiver and seems more reliable to
    > me. Or you can use the Hauppauge WinTV Nova TD-500 or Nova T-500 dual
    > PCI cards (dual USB based tuners on one card). On newer motherboards,
    > there are supported single and dual tuner PCIe cards, but these are
    > usually more expensive that the USB tuners from TradeMe.
    >
    > There is a MythTVNZ mailing list for help in getting it all to work -

    Hello Stephen...thanks for your reply.

    Can't really comment on what you wrote cos, for only the second time in all
    of my usenet days, I'm going to have to fire up the printer and print out a
    post.

    Way too much information to take in. Way too many new terms to understand. I
    need to go old school and have your reply on a piece of paper to really
    study it and sort out just what you're talking about.

    Really appreciate the amount of time you've put into the post :)

    All the best
    Lodi

    Lodi, Nov 14, 2011
  12. Lodi

    PeeCee Guest

    On 14/11/2011 10:52 p.m., Lodi wrote:
    >> PeeCee wrote:

    >> On 14/11/2011 12:22 p.m., Lodi wrote:
    >>> Hi all...
    >>>
    >>> Running Ubuntu 10.10 with KDE.
    >>>
    >>> Total noob when it comes to hard disk recording programmes off the telly.
    >>> So does anyone have any keywords I can google or hardware advice.
    >>>
    >>> Currently when I need to I can record onto a Mustek DVD-recorder. But the
    >>> obvious drawback is write-once media. You tend to end up with piles of
    >>> DVD's. (Unless I spend big bucks for a decent DVD-RW...which has a
    >>> limited life anyway)
    >>>
    >>> Basically I just want to replace a VCR with a hard disk for as cheap as
    >>> possible. I have loads of hard disks and scavenged systems lying around.
    >>> Any advice on taking the cable that runs between the red/white/yellow
    >>> sockets of my TV and Sky decoder and routing said cable to a hard disk.
    >>>
    >>> Am penguin friendly so feel free to use big words :)
    >>>
    >>> Thanks much
    >>> Lodi

    >> Lodi
    >>
    >> (by "Hard Drive" I take it you mean "System Box" as there is no way you
    >> can wire a "Hard Drive" as in a Western Digital or Segate Hard Drive, to
    >> the A/V outputs of a a Media device)
    >>
    >> If you have a 'reasonably' grunty System box lying around (I would think
    >> a P4/Athlon X2) the easiest solution is likely to be a PCI/PCIe/USB
    >> DVB-S/T tuner attachment.
    >>
    >> They cost $100-$200 ish so within your budget if you were contemplating
    >> a Dish TV box.
    >>
    >> OS of your choice and tuner compatibility.
    >>
    >> As a standalone could be refined to the task required.
    >>
    >> Best
    >> Paul.

    > Thanks for the advice Paul.
    >
    > Oddly enough I'm writing this from a P4 2.6GHz which I could easily dedicate
    > as a standalone.
    >
    > It only has 1GB memory, DDR 266. Is that sufficient.
    >
    > No PCIe unfortunately. Just plain old PCI
    >
    > Thanks
    > Lodi

    Lodi

    Can't give you chapter & Verse but I would think any PCI tuner cards
    around will have Analog tuners so no point going there.

    That leaves you with USB tuners, if your P4 2.66 has USB 2 (should have)
    then it will probably be a runner.

    A decent Graphics card will help as onboard are usually not up to
    en/decoding video streams.

    OS compatibility OTOH is another issue and I would suggest you head to
    the PVR forums for compatibility advice if you want to use Nix of any sort.
    http://www.mythtv.co.nz/mythtv/

    Another thought that has occured to me is to check out Trademe for a
    Hard Drive recorder with Analog tuners.
    There seems to be heaps of them on there as people upgrade to Freeview
    (implies they will be cheap) and would just plug in place of your
    present DVD recorder.

    Do note though there are all sorts of issues with HD video and getting
    it 'out' of a recorder. I bought a Panasonic XW380 earlier in the year
    only to find I can't export HD only SD to DVD.
    I later got a Veon (Warehouse) tv that records to external USB Hard
    Drive, brilliant, except I haven't been able to decode the files it
    records to the ext HD yet. Suspect it's using a special Codec in order
    to keep the Media Mafia at bay.

    If you want full HD (eg 1080) you would be better off rolling your own
    PVR eg MythTV as referenced above.
    Your P4 would probably make a good base for that.

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Nov 14, 2011
  13. Lodi

    PeeCee Guest

    Re: TV to hard disk recording - Noob advice please addendum

    On 14/11/2011 10:52 p.m., Lodi wrote:
    >> PeeCee wrote:

    >> On 14/11/2011 12:22 p.m., Lodi wrote:
    >>> Hi all...
    >>>
    >>> Running Ubuntu 10.10 with KDE.
    >>>
    >>> Total noob when it comes to hard disk recording programmes off the telly.
    >>> So does anyone have any keywords I can google or hardware advice.
    >>>
    >>> Currently when I need to I can record onto a Mustek DVD-recorder. But the
    >>> obvious drawback is write-once media. You tend to end up with piles of
    >>> DVD's. (Unless I spend big bucks for a decent DVD-RW...which has a
    >>> limited life anyway)
    >>>
    >>> Basically I just want to replace a VCR with a hard disk for as cheap as
    >>> possible. I have loads of hard disks and scavenged systems lying around.
    >>> Any advice on taking the cable that runs between the red/white/yellow
    >>> sockets of my TV and Sky decoder and routing said cable to a hard disk.
    >>>
    >>> Am penguin friendly so feel free to use big words :)
    >>>
    >>> Thanks much
    >>> Lodi

    >> Lodi
    >>
    >> (by "Hard Drive" I take it you mean "System Box" as there is no way you
    >> can wire a "Hard Drive" as in a Western Digital or Segate Hard Drive, to
    >> the A/V outputs of a a Media device)
    >>
    >> If you have a 'reasonably' grunty System box lying around (I would think
    >> a P4/Athlon X2) the easiest solution is likely to be a PCI/PCIe/USB
    >> DVB-S/T tuner attachment.
    >>
    >> They cost $100-$200 ish so within your budget if you were contemplating
    >> a Dish TV box.
    >>
    >> OS of your choice and tuner compatibility.
    >>
    >> As a standalone could be refined to the task required.
    >>
    >> Best
    >> Paul.

    > Thanks for the advice Paul.
    >
    > Oddly enough I'm writing this from a P4 2.6GHz which I could easily dedicate
    > as a standalone.
    >
    > It only has 1GB memory, DDR 266. Is that sufficient.
    >
    > No PCIe unfortunately. Just plain old PCI
    >
    > Thanks
    > Lodi

    Just read Stephen Worthingtons reply, excellent!
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Nov 14, 2011
  14. Lodi

    Lodi Guest

    > PeeCee wrote:

    > Another thought that has occured to me is to check out Trademe for a
    > Hard Drive recorder with Analog tuners.

    Hi again...

    Was unaware that these existed. Told you I was a noob :)

    TradeMe - Transonic DVD Player/Recorder 80GIG Hard drive for $80
    http://tinyurl.com/86zjk4l

    Certainly would do the job. And cheap (as in not expensive, not cheap as in
    all Transonic gear is cheap).

    But now I know of it I wouldn't mind setting up a Mythbuntu system, purely
    for the learning.

    Do you think this card would work in a linux system even though it says
    Microsoft Media Center. It's *almost* the one Stephen recommended. Have
    googled for the difference between MCE and non-MCE. It seems superficial.

    TradeMe - Hauppauge WINTV-PVR-150MCE PCI TV Tuner for $99
    http://tinyurl.com/76mjbcj

    Any advice appreciated :)

    Regards
    Lodi

    PS - Hope the links work

    Lodi, Nov 15, 2011
  15. On Tue, 15 Nov 2011 15:58:11 +1300, Lodi <> wrote:

    >> PeeCee wrote:

    >> Another thought that has occured to me is to check out Trademe for a
    >> Hard Drive recorder with Analog tuners.

    >Hi again...
    >
    >Was unaware that these existed. Told you I was a noob :)
    >
    >TradeMe - Transonic DVD Player/Recorder 80GIG Hard drive for $80
    >http://tinyurl.com/86zjk4l
    >
    >Certainly would do the job. And cheap (as in not expensive, not cheap as in
    >all Transonic gear is cheap).
    >
    >But now I know of it I wouldn't mind setting up a Mythbuntu system, purely
    >for the learning.
    >
    >Do you think this card would work in a linux system even though it says
    >Microsoft Media Center. It's *almost* the one Stephen recommended. Have
    >googled for the difference between MCE and non-MCE. It seems superficial.
    >
    >TradeMe - Hauppauge WINTV-PVR-150MCE PCI TV Tuner for $99
    >http://tinyurl.com/76mjbcj
    >
    >Any advice appreciated :)
    >
    >Regards
    >Lodi
    >
    >PS - Hope the links work

    Yes keep well away from the Transonic brand from some one that
    knows..

    Cheap normally means CRAP..

    Frank Williams, Nov 15, 2011
  16. On Tue, 15 Nov 2011 15:58:11 +1300, Lodi <> wrote:

    >> PeeCee wrote:

    >> Another thought that has occured to me is to check out Trademe for a
    >> Hard Drive recorder with Analog tuners.

    >Hi again...
    >
    >Was unaware that these existed. Told you I was a noob :)
    >
    >TradeMe - Transonic DVD Player/Recorder 80GIG Hard drive for $80
    >http://tinyurl.com/86zjk4l
    >
    >Certainly would do the job. And cheap (as in not expensive, not cheap as in
    >all Transonic gear is cheap).
    >
    >But now I know of it I wouldn't mind setting up a Mythbuntu system, purely
    >for the learning.
    >
    >Do you think this card would work in a linux system even though it says
    >Microsoft Media Center. It's *almost* the one Stephen recommended. Have
    >googled for the difference between MCE and non-MCE. It seems superficial.
    >
    >TradeMe - Hauppauge WINTV-PVR-150MCE PCI TV Tuner for $99
    >http://tinyurl.com/76mjbcj
    >
    >Any advice appreciated :)
    >
    >Regards
    >Lodi
    >
    >PS - Hope the links work

    That looks like the right PVR-150. I think the seller has just added
    the MCE to the name, which probably should not be there. Read on for
    the explanation.

    One thing I forgot to mention in my big reply is that you also want a
    good remote control for a MythTV box. The best ones are MCE remotes
    like these with lots of buttons (39?):

    http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MCE_Remote

    and the similar remotes that you can get with Hauppauge cards such as
    the Nova TD-500. Real MCE remotes are better than the Hauppauge ones
    (fewer driver problems) and are usually USB devices. You can also use
    your iPhone, iPad or Android device as a remote if you have WiFi
    available on your home network.

    With some MCE remotes, you also get an IR blaster, either as standard
    or as an optional extra. If you want to record from your Sky decoder,
    you must have an IR blaster to get the Sky decoder to change channels.
    IR blasters are also available as separate hardware, but I have no
    experience with those.

    Some older Hauppauge cards, such as PVR-500 or PVR-150 cards,
    optionally come with a remote control, which is a good real MCE
    remote. My PVR-500 one has the IR blaster in the same device as the
    MCE remote. What MCE normally means in the title of a PVR-500 or
    PVR-250 card is that it has that extra MCE remote in the package. The
    photo posted with the one on TradeMe does not show a remote - so you
    should ask if it is part of the package. Some people sell their old
    PVR-500 or PVR-150 cards which were originally with MCE remote, but
    keep the remote. The ones with remote can be expected to be a rather
    higher price.

    The newer Hauppauge remotes are integrated onto the same card as the
    tuner and they can not be sold separately.

    Stephen Worthington, Nov 15, 2011
  17. Lodi

    Lodi Guest

    > Stephen Worthington wrote:

    > If you want to record from your Sky decoder,
    > you must have an IR blaster to get the Sky decoder to change channels.

    Hello again Stephen and thanks again...

    Serious question...you say I must have an IR blaster to get the Sky decoder
    to change channels. Can I not just walk over to my Sky decoder and push the
    channel up/down button (as I often do when I can't find the Sky remote).

    It sounds like a dumb question but remember you're talking to a noob.

    And here's another dumb question :)

    It sounds like MythTV is the hub of an "integrated media centre" for want of
    a better phrase. I never realized it even needs it own remote control.

    But all I'm really looking for is something like that Transonic 80GB Hard
    Disk recorder I linked to earlier *except* I want to use my P4 box plus a
    1TB external drive instead of the Transonic unit. This way I'll be able to
    pull stuff off the 1TB drive and have the freedom to re-encode or edit down
    anything I want to keep longterm.

    Does this sound like something MythTV is designed for or am I using the
    wrong tool (and remember that I'd more than likely enjoy the experience of
    setting up Mythbuntu so time and effort isn't a consideration)

    Thanks again
    Lodi

    Lodi, Nov 15, 2011
  18. On Tue, 15 Nov 2011 22:44:17 +1300, Lodi <> wrote:

    >> Stephen Worthington wrote:

    >> If you want to record from your Sky decoder,
    >> you must have an IR blaster to get the Sky decoder to change channels.

    >Hello again Stephen and thanks again...
    >
    >Serious question...you say I must have an IR blaster to get the Sky decoder
    >to change channels. Can I not just walk over to my Sky decoder and push the
    >channel up/down button (as I often do when I can't find the Sky remote).

    Yes, as long as you are only doing manual recordings. If you want to
    schedule recordings using the EPG, then you need to be able to have
    the PC control the Sky decoder and change its channel for each new
    recording.

    >It sounds like a dumb question but remember you're talking to a noob.
    >
    >And here's another dumb question :)
    >
    >It sounds like MythTV is the hub of an "integrated media centre" for want of
    >a better phrase. I never realized it even needs it own remote control.

    It is designed to work with a remote control, not a mouse. You can
    also use a keyboard - a good wireless keyboard works well, but they
    are usually a bit big and unwieldy to use sitting back in your
    armchair in front of the TV. So most of us use a good remote for most
    things, and also have a wireless keyboard for the special bits like
    keying in a programme name to search for in the EPG. Although you can
    actually do that from a remote too, but the way it does it is very
    fiddly.

    >But all I'm really looking for is something like that Transonic 80GB Hard
    >Disk recorder I linked to earlier *except* I want to use my P4 box plus a
    >1TB external drive instead of the Transonic unit. This way I'll be able to
    >pull stuff off the 1TB drive and have the freedom to re-encode or edit down
    >anything I want to keep longterm.
    >
    >Does this sound like something MythTV is designed for or am I using the
    >wrong tool (and remember that I'd more than likely enjoy the experience of
    >setting up Mythbuntu so time and effort isn't a consideration)

    MythTV can certainly do that and a whole lot more. It is very similar
    to good hard disk recorders such as the MySky or TiVo boxes. I
    imagine the Transonic box would be similar to them, if rather less
    capable.

    The key thing for your P4 box to do the job is - can it have the right
    Nvidia card? It should be able to record anything just fine, but
    unless it has an Nvidia card with VDPAU, it will not really be able to
    play things back properly. If all you are recording is Sky using a
    PVR-150, it might work OK if it is capable of playing commercial DVDs
    - the recordings a PVR-150 makes are in a very similar format to DVD
    MPEG2 format. So test it playing a DVD. But if you want to add a
    DVB-T tuner and record and play back FreeviewHD programmes, VDPAU is
    critical.

    BTW I have not asked what TV you are intending to use for playback.
    For most programmes now, you need a 16:9 aspect ratio TV, even on Sky,
    so I have been assuming you have a new digital one with an HDMI
    interface. If you are using an old CRT one, then there is no way it
    will be able to play back FreeviewHD.

    As for using an external drive, I am unsure if a USB2 drive is fast
    enough. An eSATA one certainly is - I do that on my laptop. IDE is
    also fine, but that does not have an external version. With a USB2
    drive, it could probably record one programme at once, but I am not
    sure if it would also be able to play something back at the same time,
    or record more than one programme at once. It is possible to feed
    SATA data and power cables out the back of a PC to a drive. I ran out
    of accessible drive bays, so I have one drive working that way. If
    your external drive is USB2, you might like to try an experiment. Copy
    a DVD image to it and another to an internal drive. Then use say VLC
    to play the DVD image on the external drive, while copying the image
    on the internal drive to the external one. If the playback is still
    OK, then it should work with MythTV and Sky recordings. Copying a DVD
    image to the external drive is writing data rather faster than a
    PVR-150 recording would, so that is pushing things harder than would
    be necessary for recording while playing back. Apart from the slow
    data transfer rate of the USB2 interface, USB2 drives are also often
    only 5400 rpm and have slower access times, so when the heads have to
    move between the files for the different programmes all the time, they
    might not get there fast enough.

    Stephen Worthington, Nov 15, 2011
  19. Lodi

    victor Guest

    On 15/11/2011 8:35 p.m., Stephen Worthington wrote:

    > That looks like the right PVR-150. I think the seller has just added
    > the MCE to the name, which probably should not be there. Read on for
    > the explanation.

    The model number is correct, I have one somewhere. MCE just denotes the
    OEM package that comes without the remote control and IR sensor.

    victor, Nov 15, 2011
  20. Lodi

    PeeCee Guest

    On 15/11/2011 3:58 p.m., Lodi wrote:
    >> PeeCee wrote:

    >> Another thought that has occured to me is to check out Trademe for a
    >> Hard Drive recorder with Analog tuners.

    > Hi again...
    >
    > Was unaware that these existed. Told you I was a noob :)
    >
    > TradeMe - Transonic DVD Player/Recorder 80GIG Hard drive for $80
    > http://tinyurl.com/86zjk4l
    >
    > Certainly would do the job. And cheap (as in not expensive, not cheap as in
    > all Transonic gear is cheap).
    >
    > But now I know of it I wouldn't mind setting up a Mythbuntu system, purely
    > for the learning.
    >
    > Do you think this card would work in a linux system even though it says
    > Microsoft Media Center. It's *almost* the one Stephen recommended. Have
    > googled for the difference between MCE and non-MCE. It seems superficial.
    >
    > TradeMe - Hauppauge WINTV-PVR-150MCE PCI TV Tuner for $99
    > http://tinyurl.com/76mjbcj
    >
    > Any advice appreciated :)
    >
    > Regards
    > Lodi
    >
    > PS - Hope the links work

    Lodi

    For once I have to agree with Woger, don't look at Transonic.
    I happen to have the same model in my 'junk' pile.
    When it is going it's not too bad.
    However this particular one has the bad habit of randomly deciding life
    is to tough and goes to sleep and the only way to get it back up is to
    pull the mains lead.
    Not good in the middle of a movie.

    The Sanyo I have has developed a noisy fan, but otherwise not to bad.

    Personally I've found my Panasonic one very reliable (EH60 etc) as no
    doubt are Pioneer.

    Using them is another story however, the Panasonic's have their own UI
    'logic' the Sanyo/Transonic UI's are much more intuitive.

    FWIW
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Nov 15, 2011