TV series on DVD

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Edward McArdle, May 29, 2004.

  1. i have been wondering how the advent of DVDs might affect television
    series.
    Up till now the convention seems to have been to aim for about seven
    seasons, as this has some virtue for syndication. But if the sales of
    DVDs make a lot of money, this might be rethought.
    I am probably going to buy all seven seasons of Buffy, because I really
    liked the show, but probably not other series. I would really like to
    own the various Star Trek series, but (a) there are too many of them,
    and (b) they have never fallen in price. But I have been buying a number
    of series which run about three to four seasons, and which *end*. Angel
    has just fallen into this category, though I havent seen the end yet.

    The other variation just mentioned is price. I have bought a few seasons
    of Xena, because they were *really* cheap. Since I havent observed any
    continuity in the show, I can leave it at that.

    The point of this letter is that if DVD sales become a serious
    consideration, shows might begin to aim for about two or three seasons,
    with a complete arc, because that is what people are going to buy. (A
    couple I can think of are Roswell and Forever Knight). If you go longer
    you have to start lowering the price dramatically to gather sales, and
    you have to ensure that the show keeps its fan base.

    I have seen it suggested that producers might bring out series entirely
    on DVD. This seems unlikely, because you have no established audience.
    People *might* buy a series because it was produced/written by someone
    like Joss Whedon or JJ Abrams, but it might work better to bring out a
    show for a season on television, then, if it attracts a good audience,
    but not good enough for huge ratings, bring out subsequent seasons on
    DVD.

    (In my case I am buying more than I might, because I am trading in my
    huge comics collection, and spending the credit on DVDs, comics and
    tie-in books. So I do have six seasons of Stargate!)

    --
    my URL,
    http://www.ozemail.com.au/~mcardle
    Edward McArdle, May 29, 2004

  2. Edward McArdle

    JMas493 Guest

    Does anybody know if Seasons 2 and 3 of Roswell are being released on DVD?

    John
    JMas493, May 29, 2004

  3. Edward McArdle

    Bratboy Guest

    "Edward McArdle" <> wrote in message

    > of series which run about three to four seasons, and which *end*. Angel
    > has just fallen into this category, though I havent seen the end yet.

    Hehe, wont tell you how it ends then but, at least to me, it left a wide
    open door for a movie to milk Angel for a few more coins
    Bratboy, May 29, 2004
  4. Edward McArdle

    SoHillsGuy Guest

    << oes anybody know if Seasons 2 and 3 of Roswell are being released on DVD?
    >><BR><BR>

    Season 2 has a release date in Region 2 already, so it would seem likely that a
    Region 1 release is going to follow at some point.
    SoHillsGuy, May 29, 2004
  5. Edward McArdle

    Dick Sidbury Guest

    Re: TV series on DVD -- possible spoilers for Angel series finale

    Bratboy wrote:
    > "Edward McArdle" <> wrote in message
    >

    >>of series which run about three to four seasons, and which *end*. Angel
    >>has just fallen into this category, though I havent seen the end yet.
    >>

    > Hehe, wont tell you how it ends then but, at least to me, it left a wide
    > open door for a movie to milk Angel for a few more coins

    according to my wife and daughter, both regular watchers of the show,
    the season finale was written before the show was cancelled. And Whedon
    decided not to change it when the cancellation was made official (or
    maybe it had actually been filmed).

    dick
    -- the possibility of a movie followup was just a "bonus"
    Dick Sidbury, May 29, 2004
  6. Edward McArdle

    Mike Kohary Guest

    Edward McArdle wrote:

    > The point of this letter is that if DVD sales become a serious
    > consideration, shows might begin to aim for about two or three
    > seasons, with a complete arc, because that is what people are going
    > to buy.

    I kind of doubt it. TV has enough trouble coming up with enough good shows
    that guarantee people will tune in each week and bring revenue from
    advertisers, so when they actually get a good hit show, they want it to go
    on for as long as possible.

    Mike
    Mike Kohary, May 29, 2004
  7. Edward McArdle

    Justin Guest

    Edward McArdle wrote on [Sat, 29 May 2004 20:44:04 +1000]:
    > i have been wondering how the advent of DVDs might affect television
    > series.
    > Up till now the convention seems to have been to aim for about seven
    > seasons,

    100 episodes, or right around 5 seasons.

    > I am probably going to buy all seven seasons of Buffy, because I really
    > liked the show, but probably not other series. I would really like to
    > own the various Star Trek series, but (a) there are too many of them,
    > and (b) they have never fallen in price. But I have been buying a number
    > of series which run about three to four seasons, and which *end*. Angel

    Angel is 5

    > The other variation just mentioned is price. I have bought a few seasons
    > of Xena, because they were *really* cheap. Since I havent observed any
    > continuity in the show, I can leave it at that.

    There is continuity, if you actually watch the show.

    > The point of this letter is that if DVD sales become a serious
    > consideration, shows might begin to aim for about two or three seasons,
    > with a complete arc, because that is what people are going to buy. (A
    > couple I can think of are Roswell and Forever Knight). If you go longer
    > you have to start lowering the price dramatically to gather sales, and
    > you have to ensure that the show keeps its fan base.

    I don't know about that, but not cancelling a show 2 or 3 episodes in,
    espescially if it's a niche show and completing a whole season to sell
    on DVD might happen. The networks are the ones that are forking out the
    cash, so if it's not successful for them then they will want to try
    something else, but since the sets and actors are all OK to go, a few
    more episodes may be filmed to end the series well, or whatever.

    Of course, this is all wishful thought.

    > I have seen it suggested that producers might bring out series entirely
    > on DVD. This seems unlikely, because you have no established audience.

    Anime seems to be doing OK with this.
    Justin, May 29, 2004
  8. Edward McArdle

    Mark Spatny Guest

    Re: TV series on DVD -- possible spoilers for Angel series finale

    Dick Sidbury, says...
    > according to my wife and daughter, both regular watchers of the show,
    > the season finale was written before the show was cancelled. And Whedon
    > decided not to change it when the cancellation was made official (or
    > maybe it had actually been filmed).

    Not according to interviews I read with Whedon, who said the last five
    episodes weren't done when the show was cancelled, so the writers
    scrapped the script outlines already in place and re-wrote the episodes
    to tie up the series.

    I think this is evidenced by what happens to some of the characters in
    the final episode. Had the series been coming back, I do not think those
    characters would have exited in the same way. Nor do I think we would
    have seen the resolution of the Connor storyline if the writers didn't
    know the show was ending.
    Mark Spatny, May 30, 2004
  9. Edward McArdle

    Nonymous Guest

    "Dick Sidbury" <> wrote in message
    > Bratboy wrote:
    > > "Edward McArdle" <> wrote in message
    > >

    > >>of series which run about three to four seasons, and which *end*. Angel
    > >>has just fallen into this category, though I havent seen the end yet.
    > >>

    > > Hehe, wont tell you how it ends then but, at least to me, it left a wide
    > > open door for a movie to milk Angel for a few more coins
    > >

    > according to my wife and daughter, both regular watchers of the show,
    > the season finale was written before the show was cancelled.

    If they'd spend some time in the fans.angel newsgroup or one of the many
    fansites, they'd find that's absolutely not true.
    Nonymous, May 30, 2004
  10. Edward McArdle

    Jim Nason Guest

    "Justin" <> wrote in message
    > Edward McArdle wrote on [Sat, 29 May 2004 20:44:04 +1000]:
    > > i have been wondering how the advent of DVDs might affect television
    > > series.
    > > Up till now the convention seems to have been to aim for about seven
    > > seasons,

    > 100 episodes, or right around 5 seasons.
    >
    > > I am probably going to buy all seven seasons of Buffy, because I really
    > > liked the show, but probably not other series. I would really like to
    > > own the various Star Trek series, but (a) there are too many of them,
    > > and (b) they have never fallen in price. But I have been buying a number
    > > of series which run about three to four seasons, and which *end*. Angel

    > Angel is 5
    >
    > > The other variation just mentioned is price. I have bought a few seasons
    > > of Xena, because they were *really* cheap. Since I havent observed any
    > > continuity in the show, I can leave it at that.

    > There is continuity, if you actually watch the show.
    >
    > > The point of this letter is that if DVD sales become a serious
    > > consideration, shows might begin to aim for about two or three seasons,
    > > with a complete arc, because that is what people are going to buy. (A
    > > couple I can think of are Roswell and Forever Knight). If you go longer
    > > you have to start lowering the price dramatically to gather sales, and
    > > you have to ensure that the show keeps its fan base.

    > I don't know about that, but not cancelling a show 2 or 3 episodes in,
    > espescially if it's a niche show and completing a whole season to sell
    > on DVD might happen. The networks are the ones that are forking out the
    > cash, so if it's not successful for them then they will want to try
    > something else, but since the sets and actors are all OK to go, a few
    > more episodes may be filmed to end the series well, or whatever.
    >
    > Of course, this is all wishful thought.
    >
    > > I have seen it suggested that producers might bring out series entirely
    > > on DVD. This seems unlikely, because you have no established audience.

    > Anime seems to be doing OK with this.

    What about "Highway Patrol" for all of us Broderick Crawford fans?

    Jim Nason
    Jim Nason, May 30, 2004
  11. Jim Nason wrote:

    > What about "Highway Patrol" for all of us Broderick Crawford fans?

    ....So, that was a REAL show, and not just a Dan Aykroyd SNL routine??

    Derek Janssen (blacknwhites out here, I want blacknwhites!)
    Derek Janssen, May 31, 2004
  12. Edward McArdle

    Mike Guest

    Try this site for tv shows
    http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/

    Mike, May 31, 2004
  13. Edward McArdle

    Jim Nason Guest

    "Mike" <> wrote in message
    > Try this site for tv shows
    > http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/
    >

    > "Derek Janssen" <> wrote in message
    > > Jim Nason wrote:
    > >
    > > > What about "Highway Patrol" for all of us Broderick Crawford fans?

    > > ...So, that was a REAL show, and not just a Dan Aykroyd SNL routine??
    > >
    > > Derek Janssen (blacknwhites out here, I want blacknwhites!)

    "21-50 to Headquarters: 10-4"

    Jim Nason
    Jim Nason, Jun 1, 2004
  14. Edward McArdle

    Goro Guest

    Edward McArdle <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > i have been wondering how the advent of DVDs might affect television
    > series.
    > Up till now the convention seems to have been to aim for about seven
    > seasons, as this has some virtue for syndication. But if the sales of
    > DVDs make a lot of money, this might be rethought.
    > I am probably going to buy all seven seasons of Buffy, because I really
    > liked the show, but probably not other series. I would really like to
    > own the various Star Trek series, but (a) there are too many of them,
    > and (b) they have never fallen in price. But I have been buying a number
    > of series which run about three to four seasons, and which *end*. Angel
    > has just fallen into this category, though I havent seen the end yet.

    i wonder when they might do a straight to dvd tv series. just sell a
    dvd everyweek or every other week for $9 or seomthign...

    -goro-
    Goro, Jun 1, 2004
  15. Edward McArdle

    Invid Fan Guest

    In article <>, Goro
    <> wrote:

    > i wonder when they might do a straight to dvd tv series. just sell a
    > dvd everyweek or every other week for $9 or seomthign...

    You'd have to have most of the show filmed before the first volume ever
    hit the shelf, even if you could manage to produce and edit an episode
    in a week, as it takes time for items to move through the retail
    system. If the first episode tanks you're out the entire production
    cost, where as a tv series has the network paying a good chunk of the
    cost even if they never air it.

    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS
    Invid Fan, Jun 2, 2004
  16. Edward McArdle

    SoHillsGuy Guest

    << i wonder when they might do a straight to dvd tv series. >><BR><BR>

    It's not that far-fetched of an idea. The producers of "24" have hinted they
    might pursue this idea at some point, with kind of a
    mini-series-straight-to-DVD approach.
    SoHillsGuy, Jun 2, 2004