    I'm not interested at all in HD or Freeview. All I want to do is have
    an acceptable quality picture to watch.

    Thanks
    Basil, Jul 21, 2009

  2. Basil

    Woger Guest

    On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 19:04:41 +1200, Basil <> wrote:

    >The thought has wandered through my mind that I might like to record
    >Sky TV onto my PC. One small problem is that I have only the faintest
    >idea how to go about this. So I thought, why not ask the clever and
    >knowledgeable people who inhabit nz.comp?
    >
    >I have a coaxial wall socket, adjacent to the computer, the other end
    >of which is connected to our Sky box. The PC runs XP SP3, Pentium4
    >1600, 2gig RAM, GeForce FX5500 video, oodles of disk space available.
    >Also in the room, next to the comp is a TV.
    >
    >What would be the easiest way to record the Sky signal on the PC and
    >play back on both the PC and TV?
    >
    >I'm not interested at all in HD or Freeview. All I want to do is have
    >an acceptable quality picture to watch.
    >
    >Thanks

    Sky is encrypted so you are wasting your time, you could get a HD recorder
    $4xx and record it from your sky box, but then Only the channel you are
    watching, then you can burn it to a DVD-RW disk or a USB stick and play it
    back on your PC..
    Woger, Jul 21, 2009

  3. Basil

    Basil Guest

    On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 19:15:28 +1200, Woger <> wrote:

    SNIP
    >Sky is encrypted so you are wasting your time, you could get a HD recorder
    >$4xx and record it from your sky box, but then Only the channel you are
    >watching, then you can burn it to a DVD-RW disk or a USB stick and play it
    >back on your PC..

    Encryption doesn't enter in to it old chap, I wish to record the
    output from my Sky unit, not the input. I only wish to record one
    channel at any one time.

    I have a HDD recorder and currently use it in the manner you suggest,
    however I find this process laborious as my recorder won't burn onto
    USB only disks.

    I'm looking for a neater solution that doesn't involve any physical
    recording of data onto any external storage. I'm sure there are
    multiple solutions, I'm just not sure where to start looking.
    Basil, Jul 21, 2009
  4. Basil

    JohnO Guest

    On Jul 21, 8:20 pm, Basil <> wrote:
    > On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 19:15:28 +1200, Woger <> wrote:
    >
    > SNIP
    >
    > >Sky is encrypted so you are wasting your time, you could get a HD recorder
    > >$4xx and record it from your sky box, but then Only the channel you are
    > >watching, then you can burn it to a DVD-RW   disk or a USB stick and play it
    > >back on your PC..

    > Encryption doesn't enter in to it old chap, I wish to record the
    > output from my Sky unit, not the input.  I only wish to record one
    > channel at any one time.
    >
    > I have a HDD recorder and currently use it in the manner you suggest,
    > however I find this process laborious as my recorder won't burn onto
    > USB only disks.
    >
    > I'm looking for a neater solution that doesn't involve any physical
    > recording of data onto any external storage.  I'm sure there are
    > multiple solutions, I'm just not sure where to start looking.

    gbpvr.com

    Or Windows Media Center

    Or MythTV

    Or Media Center

    But you will need an Analog TV tuner card for your PC to do this. To
    record off a Sky decoder I would recommend one of these:
    http://ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=342425

    But if you add a second tuner, such as a Hauppauge Nova-T or Nova-S
    card then you can also record or watch Freview channels at the same
    time as recording/watching Sky so you don't have to miss anything.

    But you will have a lot of research to get through to get it going.

    If I was going to recommend the simplest system to get working it is
    the PVR-150 and gbpvr.
    JohnO, Jul 21, 2009
  5. Basil

    Alan Guest

    "Basil" <> wrote in message
    > The thought has wandered through my mind that I might like to record
    > Sky TV onto my PC. One small problem is that I have only the
    > faintest
    > idea how to go about this. So I thought, why not ask the clever and
    > knowledgeable people who inhabit nz.comp?
    >
    > I have a coaxial wall socket, adjacent to the computer, the other
    > end
    > of which is connected to our Sky box. The PC runs XP SP3, Pentium4
    > 1600, 2gig RAM, GeForce FX5500 video, oodles of disk space
    > available.
    > Also in the room, next to the comp is a TV.
    >
    > What would be the easiest way to record the Sky signal on the PC and
    > play back on both the PC and TV?
    >
    > I'm not interested at all in HD or Freeview. All I want to do is
    > have
    > an acceptable quality picture to watch.
    >
    > Thanks

    Hi Basil,

    Easiest way would be to take the output from the sky decoder
    (composite video, and the audio channels say), and buy a video capture
    card.

    You can then use Windows Movie Maker (say) to record, and save as
    whatever you like (WMV, AVI etc etc).

    Not sure about legality, but I don't see a difference compared to a
    PVR.

    HTH,

    Alan.

    My unmunged email is: (valid for 30 days
    min probably much longer).
    Alan, Jul 21, 2009
  6. Basil

    Woger Guest

    On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 01:49:24 -0700 (PDT), JohnO <> wrote:

    >On Jul 21, 8:20 pm, Basil <> wrote:
    >> On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 19:15:28 +1200, Woger <> wrote:
    >>
    >> SNIP
    >>
    >> >Sky is encrypted so you are wasting your time, you could get a HD recorder
    >> >$4xx and record it from your sky box, but then Only the channel you are
    >> >watching, then you can burn it to a DVD-RW   disk or a USB stick and play it
    >> >back on your PC..

    >> Encryption doesn't enter in to it old chap, I wish to record the
    >> output from my Sky unit, not the input.  I only wish to record one
    >> channel at any one time.
    >>
    >> I have a HDD recorder and currently use it in the manner you suggest,
    >> however I find this process laborious as my recorder won't burn onto
    >> USB only disks.
    >>
    >> I'm looking for a neater solution that doesn't involve any physical
    >> recording of data onto any external storage.  I'm sure there are
    >> multiple solutions, I'm just not sure where to start looking.

    >gbpvr.com
    >
    >Or Windows Media Center
    >
    >Or MythTV
    >
    >Or Media Center
    >
    >But you will need an Analog TV tuner card for your PC to do this. To
    >record off a Sky decoder I would recommend one of these:
    >http://ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=342425
    >
    >But if you add a second tuner, such as a Hauppauge Nova-T or Nova-S
    >card then you can also record or watch Freview channels at the same
    >time as recording/watching Sky so you don't have to miss anything.
    >
    >But you will have a lot of research to get through to get it going.
    >
    >If I was going to recommend the simplest system to get working it is
    >the PVR-150 and gbpvr.

    He does not need a tuner at ALL.

    He already has a Sky decoder, but I do not know what he is trying to do, I
    think he is trying to run the Video to his PC so to do that he needs a Good
    video card that has AV input or some kind of AV card..

    May be along these lines but it only does 640x480

    http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=336902

    The Panasonic HD recorders have SD and USB slots that you can record to.
    Woger, Jul 21, 2009
  7. Basil

    Woger Guest

    On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 21:37:03 +1200, "Alan" <> wrote:

    >"Basil" <> wrote in message
    >> The thought has wandered through my mind that I might like to record
    >> Sky TV onto my PC. One small problem is that I have only the
    >> faintest
    >> idea how to go about this. So I thought, why not ask the clever and
    >> knowledgeable people who inhabit nz.comp?
    >>
    >> I have a coaxial wall socket, adjacent to the computer, the other
    >> end
    >> of which is connected to our Sky box. The PC runs XP SP3, Pentium4
    >> 1600, 2gig RAM, GeForce FX5500 video, oodles of disk space
    >> available.
    >> Also in the room, next to the comp is a TV.
    >>
    >> What would be the easiest way to record the Sky signal on the PC and
    >> play back on both the PC and TV?
    >>
    >> I'm not interested at all in HD or Freeview. All I want to do is
    >> have
    >> an acceptable quality picture to watch.
    >>
    >> Thanks

    >Hi Basil,
    >
    >Easiest way would be to take the output from the sky decoder
    >(composite video, and the audio channels say), and buy a video capture
    >card.
    >
    >You can then use Windows Movie Maker (say) to record, and save as
    >whatever you like (WMV, AVI etc etc).
    >
    >Not sure about legality, but I don't see a difference compared to a
    >PVR.
    >
    >HTH,
    >
    >Alan.

    It all depends on the outputs that the Sky box has, running Long AV cables
    causes picture problems..

    I think that SCART is very limited.
    Woger, Jul 21, 2009
  8. Basil

    PeeCee Guest

    "Basil" <> wrote in message
    > The thought has wandered through my mind that I might like to record
    > Sky TV onto my PC. One small problem is that I have only the faintest
    > idea how to go about this. So I thought, why not ask the clever and
    > knowledgeable people who inhabit nz.comp?
    >
    > I have a coaxial wall socket, adjacent to the computer, the other end
    > of which is connected to our Sky box. The PC runs XP SP3, Pentium4
    > 1600, 2gig RAM, GeForce FX5500 video, oodles of disk space available.
    > Also in the room, next to the comp is a TV.
    >
    > What would be the easiest way to record the Sky signal on the PC and
    > play back on both the PC and TV?
    >
    > I'm not interested at all in HD or Freeview. All I want to do is have
    > an acceptable quality picture to watch.
    >
    > Thanks

    Basil

    My Sky decoder for example (Zenith of some age now) has both RF, Scart and
    RCA (Composite, left audio, right audio) outputs.
    If yours is like that then all you need to get is a PCI Capture Card or a
    USB Capture device. and connect to the AV plugs.

    If you want to take the RF from the SKY box then the easiest way to get it
    down to AV is to plug an old VCR into it
    or
    Put a TV card in your PC that can tune the SKY RF output channel.

    Examples
    http://www.jaycar.co.nz/productView.asp?ID=XC4867&CATID=20&form=CAT&SUBCATID=854
    http://www.dse.co.nz/dse.shop/4a6585c3009a23ae273fc0a87f3b0719/Product/View/XH9726
    http://www.hauppauge.com/

    Connection is easy as they use standard leads and connectors for the most
    part.
    Jaycar, DSE even the $2 shops have stuff like that.

    Getting it back out to a TV usually means S Video and AV leads from your
    PC's sound card.
    Does your TV have S Video input?

    All of the capture cards/devices come with some 'Capture' or recording
    software of varing quality and ability.
    The USB solutions like the Pinnacle can take both audio and video streams
    and convert them direct to data.
    A plug in card usually only accepts the Video, and you use the PC's line
    input to capture the Audio.
    Some (see Hauppage) have TV tuners built in and could also take the RF
    output from the SKY box as well as the Audio and Video.

    Some points to note:
    Cheaper Video capture solutions require lots of horspower as the CPU has to
    do all the work of decoding the raw data stream, combining Audio and Video
    and recording it to Hard disk..
    The top priced one's usually have more processing power onboard, and can do
    most of the work for your PC, leaving it to just do the record to Hard drive
    part.
    Cheap software often barely works.
    When capturing you really can't use you PC for anything else unless it's a
    kick ass machine.
    You will very quickly get bogged down in maintenance issues (space, numbers,
    locations etc)
    Your Hard drives will need to be formatted NTFS if you want to exceed 4GB in
    file size.
    "oodles of disk space" you say, think again.
    It does depend on the resoulution and quality you record at but VGA
    (640x480) or DVD (720x576) quality is going to gobble up 2-3 GB per 'hour'
    Annnd No matter how good the software and your PC it never seems as reliable
    as a good old VCR.

    My experience has been that a Hard Drive DVD recorder is better for this job
    than a PC.
    By the time you have bought a decent Capture device or Card you are more
    that half way towards the price of a HD DVD recorder anyway.
    Yes if you want to edit the capture then it is better put to the PC.
    But if all you want to do is use it like a good old Video recorder then a
    DVD recorder is the better way to go.

    Best
    Paul.
    PeeCee, Jul 21, 2009
  9. Basil

    Alan Guest

    "Woger" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 21:37:03 +1200, "Alan" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>"Basil" <> wrote in message
    >>> The thought has wandered through my mind that I might like to
    >>> record
    >>> Sky TV onto my PC. One small problem is that I have only the
    >>> faintest
    >>> idea how to go about this. So I thought, why not ask the clever
    >>> and
    >>> knowledgeable people who inhabit nz.comp?
    >>>
    >>> I have a coaxial wall socket, adjacent to the computer, the other
    >>> end
    >>> of which is connected to our Sky box. The PC runs XP SP3,
    >>> Pentium4
    >>> 1600, 2gig RAM, GeForce FX5500 video, oodles of disk space
    >>> available.
    >>> Also in the room, next to the comp is a TV.
    >>>
    >>> What would be the easiest way to record the Sky signal on the PC
    >>> and
    >>> play back on both the PC and TV?
    >>>
    >>> I'm not interested at all in HD or Freeview. All I want to do is
    >>> have
    >>> an acceptable quality picture to watch.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks

    >>Hi Basil,
    >>
    >>Easiest way would be to take the output from the sky decoder
    >>(composite video, and the audio channels say), and buy a video
    >>capture
    >>card.
    >>
    >>You can then use Windows Movie Maker (say) to record, and save as
    >>whatever you like (WMV, AVI etc etc).
    >>
    >>Not sure about legality, but I don't see a difference compared to a
    >>PVR.
    >>
    >>HTH,
    >>
    >>Alan.

    > It all depends on the outputs that the Sky box has, running Long AV
    > cables
    > causes picture problems..
    >
    > I think that SCART is very limited.

    Actually, I didn't spot it before, but he said he has a co-axial
    output next to the PC so I guess a capture card with a co-ax input
    would be ideal.

    I am assuming the quality of the output from the co-ax is 'good
    enough' for him.

    Alan, Jul 21, 2009
  10. Basil

    Woger Guest

    On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 22:01:02 +1200, "PeeCee" <> wrote:

    >"Basil" <> wrote in message
    >> The thought has wandered through my mind that I might like to record
    >> Sky TV onto my PC. One small problem is that I have only the faintest
    >> idea how to go about this. So I thought, why not ask the clever and
    >> knowledgeable people who inhabit nz.comp?
    >>
    >> I have a coaxial wall socket, adjacent to the computer, the other end
    >> of which is connected to our Sky box. The PC runs XP SP3, Pentium4
    >> 1600, 2gig RAM, GeForce FX5500 video, oodles of disk space available.
    >> Also in the room, next to the comp is a TV.
    >>
    >> What would be the easiest way to record the Sky signal on the PC and
    >> play back on both the PC and TV?
    >>
    >> I'm not interested at all in HD or Freeview. All I want to do is have
    >> an acceptable quality picture to watch.
    >>
    >> Thanks

    >Basil
    >
    >My Sky decoder for example (Zenith of some age now) has both RF, Scart and
    >RCA (Composite, left audio, right audio) outputs.
    >If yours is like that then all you need to get is a PCI Capture Card or a
    >USB Capture device. and connect to the AV plugs.
    >
    >If you want to take the RF from the SKY box then the easiest way to get it
    >down to AV is to plug an old VCR into it
    >or
    >Put a TV card in your PC that can tune the SKY RF output channel.
    >
    >Examples
    >http://www.jaycar.co.nz/productView.asp?ID=XC4867&CATID=20&form=CAT&SUBCATID=854
    >http://www.dse.co.nz/dse.shop/4a6585c3009a23ae273fc0a87f3b0719/Product/View/XH9726
    >http://www.hauppauge.com/
    >
    >Connection is easy as they use standard leads and connectors for the most
    >part.
    >Jaycar, DSE even the $2 shops have stuff like that.
    >
    >Getting it back out to a TV usually means S Video and AV leads from your
    >PC's sound card.
    >Does your TV have S Video input?
    >
    >All of the capture cards/devices come with some 'Capture' or recording
    >software of varing quality and ability.
    >The USB solutions like the Pinnacle can take both audio and video streams
    >and convert them direct to data.
    >A plug in card usually only accepts the Video, and you use the PC's line
    >input to capture the Audio.
    >Some (see Hauppage) have TV tuners built in and could also take the RF
    >output from the SKY box as well as the Audio and Video.
    >
    >Some points to note:
    >Cheaper Video capture solutions require lots of horspower as the CPU has to
    >do all the work of decoding the raw data stream, combining Audio and Video
    >and recording it to Hard disk..

    The so called Raw data is just basic AV as that is all that comes out of the
    Sky box..

    Woger, Jul 21, 2009
  11. Basil

    Basil Guest

    On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 01:49:24 -0700 (PDT), JohnO <>
    wrote:

    SNIP

    >gbpvr.com
    >
    >Or Windows Media Center
    >
    >Or MythTV
    >
    >Or Media Center
    >
    >But you will need an Analog TV tuner card for your PC to do this. To
    >record off a Sky decoder I would recommend one of these:
    >http://ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=342425

    Now that's the sort of thing I was wondering about, however the inputs
    seem to be firewire or RCA, neither of which are available.

    >But if you add a second tuner, such as a Hauppauge Nova-T or Nova-S
    >card then you can also record or watch Freview channels at the same
    >time as recording/watching Sky so you don't have to miss anything.
    >
    >But you will have a lot of research to get through to get it going.

    Don't mind doing some research, but I've no interest at all in
    Freeview.

    >If I was going to recommend the simplest system to get working it is
    >the PVR-150 and gbpvr.

    Thanks
    Basil, Jul 21, 2009
  12. Basil

    Basil Guest

    On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 21:43:17 +1200, Woger <> wrote:

    SNIP

    >>gbpvr.com
    >>
    >>Or Windows Media Center
    >>
    >>Or MythTV
    >>
    >>Or Media Center
    >>
    >>But you will need an Analog TV tuner card for your PC to do this. To
    >>record off a Sky decoder I would recommend one of these:
    >>http://ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=342425
    >>
    >>But if you add a second tuner, such as a Hauppauge Nova-T or Nova-S
    >>card then you can also record or watch Freview channels at the same
    >>time as recording/watching Sky so you don't have to miss anything.
    >>
    >>But you will have a lot of research to get through to get it going.
    >>
    >>If I was going to recommend the simplest system to get working it is
    >>the PVR-150 and gbpvr.

    >He does not need a tuner at ALL.

    Correct, I have the source I wish to record.

    >He already has a Sky decoder, but I do not know what he is trying to do, I
    >think he is trying to run the Video to his PC so to do that he needs a Good
    >video card that has AV input or some kind of AV card..

    What I'm considering doing is using the PC as a Video Recorder. As
    you said, I already have the Sky signal, also a PC that will play DVDs
    acceptably. So possibly, all I need is some hardware/software to do
    the recording and playback the result on a TV.

    >May be along these lines but it only does 640x480
    >

    >http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=336902

    Looking at this with my limited knowledge, it would seem to be too low
    end for what I want.

    >The Panasonic HD recorders have SD and USB slots that you can record to.

    Thanks, but don't really want to buy another DVD recorder right now.
    Basil, Jul 21, 2009
  13. Basil

    Basil Guest

    On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 21:37:03 +1200, "Alan" <> wrote:

    SNIP
    >Hi Basil,
    >
    >Easiest way would be to take the output from the sky decoder
    >(composite video, and the audio channels say), and buy a video capture
    >card.

    Unfortunately the output comes via coax cable.

    >You can then use Windows Movie Maker (say) to record, and save as
    >whatever you like (WMV, AVI etc etc).

    That's the broad principle I'd imagined, I'm just sort of specifics.
    Indeed I'm not sure this path is the best way to go, but I'm prepared
    to explore this option.

    >Not sure about legality, but I don't see a difference compared to a
    >PVR.

    I'm not worried about the legality, I just want to use it the same way
    as one would a VHS recorder. The programs, 99% sport, get watched
    within a day or two, then deleted.

    Basil, Jul 21, 2009
  14. Basil

    Basil Guest

    On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 21:55:49 +1200, Woger <> wrote:

    SNIP
    >It all depends on the outputs that the Sky box has, running Long AV cables
    >causes picture problems..
    >
    >I think that SCART is very limited.

    Picture quality from the coax wall socket is fine for me. What I
    watch is far more important than what I watch it on.
    Basil, Jul 21, 2009
  15. In message <>, Basil wrote:

    > ... I wish to record the output from my Sky unit ...

    Is it likely to put any Macrovision on its video outputs?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 21, 2009
  16. Basil

    Basil Guest

    On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 22:01:02 +1200, "PeeCee" <> wrote:

    SNIP

    >Basil
    >
    >My Sky decoder for example (Zenith of some age now) has both RF, Scart and
    >RCA (Composite, left audio, right audio) outputs.
    >If yours is like that then all you need to get is a PCI Capture Card or a
    >USB Capture device. and connect to the AV plugs.
    >
    >If you want to take the RF from the SKY box then the easiest way to get it
    >down to AV is to plug an old VCR into it

    Now, as it happens, I have an old VCR right here next to the PC.
    >or
    >Put a TV card in your PC that can tune the SKY RF output channel.
    >
    >Examples
    >http://www.jaycar.co.nz/productView.asp?ID=XC4867&CATID=20&form=CAT&SUBCATID=854
    >http://www.dse.co.nz/dse.shop/4a6585c3009a23ae273fc0a87f3b0719/Product/View/XH9726
    >http://www.hauppauge.com/

    The Jaycar link looks interesting, thank you.
    I don't know where to start looking on the Hauppauge site.

    >Connection is easy as they use standard leads and connectors for the most
    >part.
    >Jaycar, DSE even the $2 shops have stuff like that.
    >
    >Getting it back out to a TV usually means S Video and AV leads from your
    >PC's sound card.
    >Does your TV have S Video input?

    Yes.

    >All of the capture cards/devices come with some 'Capture' or recording
    >software of varing quality and ability.
    >The USB solutions like the Pinnacle can take both audio and video streams
    >and convert them direct to data.
    >A plug in card usually only accepts the Video, and you use the PC's line
    >input to capture the Audio.
    >Some (see Hauppage) have TV tuners built in and could also take the RF
    >output from the SKY box as well as the Audio and Video.
    >
    >Some points to note:
    >Cheaper Video capture solutions require lots of horspower as the CPU has to
    >do all the work of decoding the raw data stream, combining Audio and Video
    >and recording it to Hard disk..

    This may not be an issue as most of the recording is done when I'm
    either at work or asleep, so the computer isn't doing anything else.
    >The top priced one's usually have more processing power onboard, and can do
    >most of the work for your PC, leaving it to just do the record to Hard drive
    >part.
    >Cheap software often barely works.

    This I would agree with, hence asking for advice in here.
    >When capturing you really can't use you PC for anything else unless it's a
    >kick ass machine.
    >You will very quickly get bogged down in maintenance issues (space, numbers,
    >locations etc)
    >Your Hard drives will need to be formatted NTFS if you want to exceed 4GB in
    >file size.

    They are.
    >"oodles of disk space" you say, think again.

    Currently over 100gig free, also I wouldn't keep the recordings, watch
    them , then delete.
    >It does depend on the resoulution and quality you record at but VGA
    >(640x480) or DVD (720x576) quality is going to gobble up 2-3 GB per 'hour'
    >Annnd No matter how good the software and your PC it never seems as reliable
    >as a good old VCR.

    Interesting, slightly disappointing, but still interesting. In fact
    exactly the sort of thing I wanted to hear.

    >My experience has been that a Hard Drive DVD recorder is better for this job
    >than a PC.
    >By the time you have bought a decent Capture device or Card you are more
    >that half way towards the price of a HD DVD recorder anyway.
    >Yes if you want to edit the capture then it is better put to the PC.
    >But if all you want to do is use it like a good old Video recorder then a
    >DVD recorder is the better way to go.
    >
    >Best
    >Paul.

    Thank you.
    Basil, Jul 21, 2009
  17. Basil

    Basil Guest

    On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 23:04:57 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> wrote:

    >In message <>, Basil wrote:
    >
    >> ... I wish to record the output from my Sky unit ...

    >Is it likely to put any Macrovision on its video outputs?

    I've encountered something of this sort once. My DVD recorder
    wouldn't let me copy a Sky program from it's Hard Drive to a disk.
    Otherwise the recorder just grabs everything.

    It's a rather old Sky box, around 8 or 9 years and I'm using the co-ax
    feed.
    Basil, Jul 21, 2009
  18. On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 01:49:24 -0700 (PDT), JohnO <>
    wrote:

    >On Jul 21, 8:20 pm, Basil <> wrote:
    >> On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 19:15:28 +1200, Woger <> wrote:
    >>
    >> SNIP
    >>
    >> >Sky is encrypted so you are wasting your time, you could get a HD recorder
    >> >$4xx and record it from your sky box, but then Only the channel you are
    >> >watching, then you can burn it to a DVD-RW   disk or a USB stick and play it
    >> >back on your PC..

    >> Encryption doesn't enter in to it old chap, I wish to record the
    >> output from my Sky unit, not the input.  I only wish to record one
    >> channel at any one time.
    >>
    >> I have a HDD recorder and currently use it in the manner you suggest,
    >> however I find this process laborious as my recorder won't burn onto
    >> USB only disks.
    >>
    >> I'm looking for a neater solution that doesn't involve any physical
    >> recording of data onto any external storage.  I'm sure there are
    >> multiple solutions, I'm just not sure where to start looking.

    >gbpvr.com
    >
    >Or Windows Media Center
    >
    >Or MythTV
    >
    >Or Media Center
    >
    >But you will need an Analog TV tuner card for your PC to do this. To
    >record off a Sky decoder I would recommend one of these:
    >http://ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=342425
    >
    >But if you add a second tuner, such as a Hauppauge Nova-T or Nova-S
    >card then you can also record or watch Freview channels at the same
    >time as recording/watching Sky so you don't have to miss anything.
    >
    >But you will have a lot of research to get through to get it going.
    >
    >If I was going to recommend the simplest system to get working it is
    >the PVR-150 and gbpvr.

    With MythTV and some hard work, you can also get an IR blaster output
    working to automatically change the Sky box channel.
    Stephen Worthington, Jul 21, 2009
  19. Basil

    Alan Guest

    "Basil" <> wrote in message

    >>Easiest way would be to take the output from the sky decoder
    >>(composite video, and the audio channels say), and buy a video
    >>capture
    >>card.

    > Unfortunately the output comes via coax cable.

    Sorry - missed that originally, but no issue.

    My capture card has inputs for both the RCA leads (yellow, red, and
    white), and also for a co-axial input, and is probably about the
    cheapest one on the market I imagine.

    >>You can then use Windows Movie Maker (say) to record, and save as
    >>whatever you like (WMV, AVI etc etc).
    >>

    > That's the broad principle I'd imagined, I'm just sort of specifics.
    > Indeed I'm not sure this path is the best way to go, but I'm
    > prepared
    > to explore this option.

    Its already there in WinXP, so nothing to do apart from fire it up,
    and go (once you have the capture card installed).

    WMM just configured everything for me, so it all 'just worked' as you
    would expect.

    I'm sure I could improve the quality by fiddling with all the
    settings, but I am not too concerned personally. The content is more
    important than the quality for me ;-)

    Alan, Jul 21, 2009
  20. Basil

    Woger Guest

    On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 23:04:06 +1200, Basil <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 21:55:49 +1200, Woger <> wrote:
    >

    >SNIP
    >>It all depends on the outputs that the Sky box has, running Long AV cables
    >>causes picture problems..
    >>
    >>I think that SCART is very limited.

    >Picture quality from the coax wall socket is fine for me. What I
    >watch is far more important than what I watch it on.

    What is this Wall coax socket you are on about I don't think this comes
    from the Sky box..??
    Woger, Jul 21, 2009