TV Questions (DVD related)

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Mike, Nov 26, 2003.

  1. Mike

    Mike Guest

    I keep reading that the best setting for SHARPNESS when viewing a DVD
    is 0. I cannot understand this. When I set the setting to 0 on my SONY
    Trinitron, the picture looks extremely soft with no detail. I do not
    believe that this represents the "theatre experience" at home.
    Therefore I leave the SHARPNESS level set about halfway. Anyone have
    any input as to why people say to set it to 0?

    Also, I found out how to get into the Service Menu of my 20" SONY
    Trinitron and set it to 16x9 Anamorphic display (its a 4x3 TV). And,
    low and behold, there's that infamous white/red/blue/whatever
    horizontal line across the screen. Has anyone figured a way to get rid
    of this? I researched it a bit online and I can't find anyone that has
    found a way. Also, if left up on screen for a long period of time,
    won't it burn into the screen?

    Well, there's my questions. I hope some of you can help me out. Thanks
    in advance for any help you can provide me.

    --Mike

    Mike, Nov 26, 2003

  2. Mike wrote:

    > Therefore I leave the SHARPNESS level set about halfway. Anyone have
    > any input as to why people say to set it to 0?

    Could just be terminology - to a lot of people the middle
    point of a slider is 0, while to the left are negative
    values and to the right are positive values.

    Darrel :)

    Darrel Christenson, Nov 26, 2003

  3. Mike

    Wade365 Guest

    << Anyone have
    any input as to why people say to set it to 0? >>

    On most professional's jargon list is the term "zero" or non-affecting... it's
    a term used to describe a boost/cut attenuator's position. In this case, often
    the centering or "half-way" setting you are using IS infact "zero" or centered,
    and neither boosting or cutting the sharpness of the screen.

    I believe you have found the zero setting... accidentally, but you've found it.

    Wade365, Nov 26, 2003
  4. Mike

    Mike McGee Guest

    In article <>, Mike
    <> wrote:

    > I keep reading that the best setting for SHARPNESS when viewing a DVD
    > is 0. I cannot understand this. When I set the setting to 0 on my SONY
    > Trinitron, the picture looks extremely soft with no detail. I do not
    > believe that this represents the "theatre experience" at home.
    > Therefore I leave the SHARPNESS level set about halfway. Anyone have
    > any input as to why people say to set it to 0?
    >
    > Also, I found out how to get into the Service Menu of my 20" SONY
    > Trinitron and set it to 16x9 Anamorphic display (its a 4x3 TV). And,
    > low and behold, there's that infamous white/red/blue/whatever
    > horizontal line across the screen. Has anyone figured a way to get rid
    > of this? I researched it a bit online and I can't find anyone that has
    > found a way. Also, if left up on screen for a long period of time,
    > won't it burn into the screen?
    >
    > Well, there's my questions. I hope some of you can help me out. Thanks
    > in advance for any help you can provide me.
    >

    > --Mike

    Mike, pickup (or rent) a copy of the AVIA DVD to calibrate your TV.
    This DVD, or other calibration DVDs like Video Essentials will help you
    properly calibrate your TV to your specific settings.

    In most cases, Sharpness should be low, but not set to 0. Again, you'll
    need to run through the DVD calibration steps to get things looking the
    best for your specific set, lighting conditions, etc.

    --
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
    Mike McGee

    Mike McGee, Nov 26, 2003
  5. I take it you're using an S or composite video connection from your DVD
    player? If your tv accepts it, upgrade to component. But in any case,
    properly calibrate your tv with a copy of Digital Video Essentials.
    www.deepdiscountdvd.com sells it for an incredible price. No, I don't
    work for anybody who makes or sells it, I just heartily recommend it.
    Among many other things, it will have a special test pattern to help you
    set the ideal level of sharpness. On many tvs this is at the lowest
    setting, but it ain't on a lot of tvs, including mine.

    and tagging wildebeests."
    --Michael J. Nelson

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, Nov 26, 2003