    Geopelia Guest

    Is there a group for TV problems please? Ours has just gone off and keeps
    squeaking.
    Geopelia, Jun 4, 2012

  2. On Mon, 4 Jun 2012 18:36:20 +1200, "Geopelia" <>
    wrote:

    >Is there a group for TV problems please? Ours has just gone off and keeps
    >squeaking.

    No its a Shop job (get Quote) or get a new LCD one, Samsung or LG.

    Its the Power supply does that when it gets a short or the EHT is arcing
    if the room is Damp..

    All shop jobs..

    Do you have LPG gas heater as they Kill TV's
    Frank Williams, Jun 4, 2012

  3. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Frank Williams" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 4 Jun 2012 18:36:20 +1200, "Geopelia" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Is there a group for TV problems please? Ours has just gone off and keeps
    >>squeaking.
    >>

    > No its a Shop job (get Quote) or get a new LCD one, Samsung or LG.
    >
    > Its the Power supply does that when it gets a short or the EHT is arcing
    > if the room is Damp..
    >
    > All shop jobs..
    >
    > Do you have LPG gas heater as they Kill TV's

    Thank you. No, we only have a heat pump. The room is quite dry. (The aerial
    is still there.)
    It's a Loewe, about ten years old, we think. It would need a box etc for
    this new digital stuff though.
    It's the sort with a big tube in it, we think, not a modern flat one.
    A very good set and perfect picture, before this.
    The computer and the tape recorder are still going.

    I'll call the TV man tomorrow.
    Thanks for your help.
    Geopelia, Jun 4, 2012
  4. On Mon, 4 Jun 2012 19:18:50 +1200, "Geopelia" <>
    wrote:

    >"Frank Williams" <> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 4 Jun 2012 18:36:20 +1200, "Geopelia" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Is there a group for TV problems please? Ours has just gone off and keeps
    >>>squeaking.
    >>>

    >> No its a Shop job (get Quote) or get a new LCD one, Samsung or LG.
    >>
    >> Its the Power supply does that when it gets a short or the EHT is arcing
    >> if the room is Damp..
    >>
    >> All shop jobs..
    >>
    >> Do you have LPG gas heater as they Kill TV's

    >Thank you. No, we only have a heat pump. The room is quite dry. (The aerial
    >is still there.)
    >It's a Loewe, about ten years old, we think.

    Yes a good German brand TV.

    >It would need a box etc for
    >this new digital stuff though.

    The LCD TV come with Freeview, the LG and Samsung have far better
    supports in playing Videos via the USB port, Sony and Panasonic only
    support AVI/DivX

    >It's the sort with a big tube in it, we think, not a modern flat one.
    >A very good set and perfect picture, before this.
    >The computer and the tape recorder are still going.
    >
    >I'll call the TV man tomorrow.
    >Thanks for your help.

    Yes I don't think that parts are availably for that brand unless its a
    simple fault..

    I think its come to its useful life 10 years is not to bad..
    Frank Williams, Jun 4, 2012
  5. Geopelia

    JohnO Guest

    On Jun 4, 8:35 pm, Frank Williams <> wrote:
    > On Mon, 4 Jun 2012 19:18:50 +1200, "Geopelia" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >"Frank Williams" <> wrote in message

    > >> No its a Shop job (get Quote) or get a new LCD one, Samsung or LG.

    > >> Its the Power supply does that when it gets a short or the EHT is arcing
    > >> if the room is Damp..

    > >> All shop jobs..

    > >> Do you have LPG gas heater as they Kill TV's

    > >Thank you. No, we only have a heat pump. The room is quite dry. (The aerial
    > >is still there.)
    > >It's a Loewe, about ten years old, we think.

    > Yes a good German brand TV.
    >
    > >It would need a box etc for
    > >this new digital stuff though.

    > The LCD TV come with Freeview, the LG and Samsung have far better
    > supports in playing Videos via the USB port, Sony and Panasonic only
    > support AVI/DivX
    >
    > >It's the sort with a big tube in it, we think, not a modern flat one.
    > >A very good set and perfect picture, before this.
    > >The computer and the tape recorder are still going.

    > >I'll call the TV man tomorrow.
    > >Thanks for your help.

    > Yes I don't think that parts are availably for that brand unless its a
    > simple fault..
    >
    > I think its come to its useful life 10 years is not to bad..

    Good LED TVs are now getting quite cheap and the power saving on a
    good 32" LED vs the Loewe CRT will go a decent way to subsidising the
    purchase. Also factor in the saving in not having to purchase a
    Freeview decoder and you are quids in.

    Geo, it is unlikely to be economic to repair your old TV when you
    still will need to buy a freeview decoder for it.
    JohnO, Jun 4, 2012
  6. Geopelia

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <36018514-8a6d-401a-ae31-
    >, , JohnO
    says...

    > On Jun 4, 8:35 pm, Frank Williams <> wrote:
    > > On Mon, 4 Jun 2012 19:18:50 +1200, "Geopelia" <>
    > > wrote:
    > >

    > > >"Frank Williams" <> wrote in message

    > > >Thank you. No, we only have a heat pump. The room is quite dry. (The aerial
    > > >is still there.)
    > > >It's a Loewe, about ten years old, we think.

    > > Yes a good German brand TV.
    > >
    > > >It would need a box etc for
    > > >this new digital stuff though.

    > > The LCD TV come with Freeview, the LG and Samsung have far better
    > > supports in playing Videos via the USB port, Sony and Panasonic only
    > > support AVI/DivX
    > >
    > > >It's the sort with a big tube in it, we think, not a modern flat one.
    > > >A very good set and perfect picture, before this.
    > > >The computer and the tape recorder are still going.

    > > >I'll call the TV man tomorrow.
    > > >Thanks for your help.

    > > Yes I don't think that parts are availably for that brand unless its a
    > > simple fault..
    > >
    > > I think its come to its useful life 10 years is not to bad..

    > Good LED TVs are now getting quite cheap and the power saving on a
    > good 32" LED vs the Loewe CRT will go a decent way to subsidising the
    > purchase. Also factor in the saving in not having to purchase a
    > Freeview decoder and you are quids in.
    >

    > Geo, it is unlikely to be economic to repair your old TV when you
    > still will need to buy a freeview decoder for it.

    Bear in mind though that she's elegible for a free decoder.

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Jun 5, 2012
  7. Geopelia

    JohnO Guest

    On Jun 5, 11:11 am, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    > In article <36018514-8a6d-401a-ae31-
    > >, , JohnO
    > says...
    >

    > > On Jun 4, 8:35 pm, Frank Williams <> wrote:

    > > > Yes a good German brand TV.

    > > > The LCD TV come with Freeview, the LG and Samsung have far better
    > > > supports in playing Videos via the USB port, Sony and Panasonic only
    > > > support AVI/DivX

    > > > Yes I don't think that parts are availably for that brand unless its a
    > > > simple fault..

    > > > I think its come to its useful life 10 years is not to bad..

    > > Good LED TVs are now getting quite cheap and the power saving on a
    > > good 32" LED vs the Loewe CRT will go a decent way to subsidising the
    > > purchase. Also factor in the saving in not having to purchase a
    > > Freeview decoder and you are quids in.

    > > Geo, it is unlikely to be economic to repair your old TV when you
    > > still will need to buy a freeview decoder for it.

    > Bear in mind though that she's elegible for a free decoder.

    Oh, ok. What's the deal on that?

    JohnO, Jun 5, 2012
  8. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "JohnO" <> wrote in message
    On Jun 5, 11:11 am, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    > In article <36018514-8a6d-401a-ae31-
    > >, , JohnO
    > says...
    >

    > > On Jun 4, 8:35 pm, Frank Williams <> wrote:

    > > > Yes a good German brand TV.

    > > > The LCD TV come with Freeview, the LG and Samsung have far better
    > > > supports in playing Videos via the USB port, Sony and Panasonic only
    > > > support AVI/DivX

    > > > Yes I don't think that parts are availably for that brand unless its a
    > > > simple fault..

    > > > I think its come to its useful life 10 years is not to bad..

    > > Good LED TVs are now getting quite cheap and the power saving on a
    > > good 32" LED vs the Loewe CRT will go a decent way to subsidising the
    > > purchase. Also factor in the saving in not having to purchase a
    > > Freeview decoder and you are quids in.

    > > Geo, it is unlikely to be economic to repair your old TV when you
    > > still will need to buy a freeview decoder for it.

    > Bear in mind though that she's elegible for a free decoder.

    Oh, ok. What's the deal on that?

    Over 75 and under the financial limits, I think. And changed from Invalids
    Benefit to Super.
    But you can find out exactly somewhere on the internet.
    We were going to wait until the government let us know about it, but if the
    TV man says it's stuffed or too expensive to repair we will get a new
    digital one. I think the aerial is digital, we got a new one a few years
    ago, but we might need a disc.

    I've got all your replies saved so we can make up our minds what to get.
    It must be easy to record programs. Just pressing a few buttons, nothing
    technical.
    I'm even dumber with TVs than I am with computers.
    I suppose all our tapes will now be useless though.

    A TV man is coming either today or tomorrow. We will see what he thinks.

    Thank you
    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Jun 5, 2012
  9. Geopelia

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <6b1e2a54-0982-4391-8241-
    >, , JohnO
    says...

    > On Jun 5, 11:11 am, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    > > In article <36018514-8a6d-401a-ae31-
    > > >, , JohnO
    > > says...

    > > > Good LED TVs are now getting quite cheap and the power saving on a
    > > > good 32" LED vs the Loewe CRT will go a decent way to subsidising the
    > > > purchase. Also factor in the saving in not having to purchase a
    > > > Freeview decoder and you are quids in.

    > > > Geo, it is unlikely to be economic to repair your old TV when you
    > > > still will need to buy a freeview decoder for it.

    > > Bear in mind though that she's elegible for a free decoder.

    > Oh, ok. What's the deal on that?

    http://www.goingdigital.co.nz/targeted-assistance-package - part of a
    post I made in the 'Advice on digital TV please' thread, in reply to
    Geo's question on info for community services card holders (or something
    like that).

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Jun 5, 2012
  10. Geopelia

    JohnO Guest

    On Jun 5, 2:59 pm, "Geopelia" <> wrote:
    > "JohnO" <> wrote in message

    > On Jun 5, 11:11 am, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    >

    > > In article <36018514-8a6d-401a-ae31-
    > > >, , JohnO
    > > says...

    > > > Good LED TVs are now getting quite cheap and the power saving on a
    > > > good 32" LED vs the Loewe CRT will go a decent way to subsidising the
    > > > purchase. Also factor in the saving in not having to purchase a
    > > > Freeview decoder and you are quids in.

    > > > Geo, it is unlikely to be economic to repair your old TV when you
    > > > still will need to buy a freeview decoder for it.

    > > Bear in mind though that she's elegible for a free decoder.

    > Oh, ok. What's the deal on that?

    > Over 75 and under the financial limits, I think. And changed from Invalids
    > Benefit to Super.
    > But you can find out exactly somewhere on the internet.
    > We were going to wait until the government let us know about it, but if the
    > TV man says it's stuffed or too expensive to repair we will get a new
    > digital one.  I think the aerial is digital, we got a new one a few years
    > ago, but we might need a disc.
    >
    > I've got all your replies saved so we can make up our minds what to get.
    > It must be easy to record programs. Just pressing a few buttons, nothing
    > technical.

    MySky is like that. I've no experience with FreeView PVRs though. (PVR
    is a decoder that can be set to record, in particular by simply
    clicking on a programme in the Electronic Programme Guide).

    >  I'm even dumber with TVs than I am with computers.

    Nonsense. I think you are doing marvelously well.

    > I suppose all our tapes will now be useless though.

    Nope - as long as you new TV has an input your VCR can plug into -
    which it should.

    > A TV man is coming either today or tomorrow. We will see what he thinks.

    Make sure he doesn't start fixing anything until you approve his
    estimate. We have a super guy in Meadowbank who seems to be able to
    repair anything. He tends to turn a way a lot of business where things
    are just uneconomic to repair.

    JohnO, Jun 5, 2012
  11. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    The TV man called. When he took the cover off and switched the power on,
    there were bright sparks of thousands of volts sparking and banging away
    inside. It was the things at the back of the tube. The wire is the one that
    carries an enormous voltage and sticks on to the back of the tube.

    He cut out the burnt wire and got the power going, but has had to take the
    inners away to see what else may have been damaged. He says the new
    electronic stuff damages more than the old valves.

    He's going to let us know what it would cost to repair. If it's possible and
    reasonable we will have it done, otherwise we will get a new set.

    That will be our fourth since the 1960s. We started with a small black and
    white one.
    Three sets in fifty years or so isn't bad. And the others were still working
    when we replaced them.

    We shall see.

    Thanks to all
    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Jun 6, 2012
  12. On Wed, 6 Jun 2012 13:57:42 +1200, "Geopelia" <>
    wrote:

    >The TV man called. When he took the cover off and switched the power on,
    >there were bright sparks of thousands of volts sparking and banging away
    >inside. It was the things at the back of the tube. The wire is the one that
    >carries an enormous voltage and sticks on to the back of the tube.

    We fix them on the spot use rtv silicone its a simple job..

    Never ever seen innards damaged by that kind of fault..

    Frank Williams, Jun 6, 2012
  13. Geopelia

    > On Wed, 6 Jun 2012 13:57:42 +1200, "Geopelia" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>The TV man called. When he took the cover off and switched the power on,
    >>there were bright sparks of thousands of volts sparking and banging away
    >>inside. It was the things at the back of the tube. The wire is the one
    >>that
    >>carries an enormous voltage and sticks on to the back of the tube.

    > We fix them on the spot use rtv silicone its a simple job..
    >

    > Never ever seen innards damaged by that kind of fault..

    He had to cut the burnt bit of the wire out. It didn't look very simple.
    Perhaps I haven't described it well enough.
    We'll see what he thinks when he has inspected it.

    Geopelia, Jun 6, 2012
  14. Geopelia

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Geopelia wrote:
    > The TV man called. When he took the cover off and switched the power
    > on, there were bright sparks of thousands of volts sparking and
    > banging away inside. It was the things at the back of the tube. The
    > wire is the one that carries an enormous voltage and sticks on to the
    > back of the tube.
    > He cut out the burnt wire and got the power going, but has had to
    > take the inners away to see what else may have been damaged. He says
    > the new electronic stuff damages more than the old valves.
    >
    > He's going to let us know what it would cost to repair. If it's
    > possible and reasonable we will have it done, otherwise we will get a
    > new set.
    > That will be our fourth since the 1960s. We started with a small
    > black and white one.
    > Three sets in fifty years or so isn't bad. And the others were still
    > working when we replaced them.

    Hi Geopelia,

    Sadly the days of appliances that last for 20+ years are long gone. Sometime
    before you bought that last set pretty much every company world-wide started
    designing a planned life-span into their products. With the cheapest brands
    it's usually not much longer than the warranty period. If you pay a bit (or
    a lot) more you might get two to five years on top of the warranty period
    before they fail. It's actually quite easy for the companies to do this and
    do it they do!

    Also, with the exception of a small number of minor faults, it's not worth
    getting post ~1995 electical appliances repaired as, if you replace one
    faulty module it still won't be long until the next one fails, then the
    next.... (There's little repairing going on these days, it's all module
    replacement.) The companies do this as they need people to buy product so
    that they can stay in business. Back when you and I were young the companies
    could build great, long-lasting products and would get more business by
    word-of-mouth, happy customers telling their friends.

    That was back in the days when most people didn't have a [insert appliance
    of choice here], it was a brave new world and people were becoming more
    prosperous and technology was able to make their lives easier. Unfortunately
    these days, at least in 'developed' countries, most everyone already has
    that appliance and the only way to get another sale is if it fails. It's
    called built-in (or planned) obsolescence.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Built-in_obsolescence#Obsolescence_and_durability

    I deplore this state of affairs but, until the landfills are taller than the
    skyscrapers, I don't see it changing without legislation - and that's
    unlikely to happen as long as elections cost money so need donations from
    business.

    In some instances, like computers (at least up until the lasy few years) and
    televisions it's not quite as bas as the jobs required of them are changing
    quickly, so older hardware often leaves its owner living with some serious
    conpromises. However, once digital TV achieves market saturation and now
    that home PCs are plenty powerful enough to do anything that could be asked
    of them by the home user in the foreseeable future there will be no excuse
    for those fields either.

    Personally, as I'm basically house-bound (not just for medical reasons but
    also increasingly financial ones as well) I'm trying to teach myself how to
    repair stereo equipment - specifically HiHi gear made from about 1976 to
    around 2000. Amplifiers in particular from that era are as goos as, and much
    better in most cases - anything that you can buy from most non-specialist
    audio stores and, crucially for me, aren't made with SM components and
    lead-free solder. (Meaning that they can be repaired by hand.)

    I think that, especially with 'retro-chic' and the fact that trained repair
    technitions are a dying breed, there could be a niche there for me -
    refurbishing and re-capping 'classic' HiFi gear - but only if I can keep
    audio gear from that period out of the landfills!

    In my own life I have a clothes drier that must be 40+ years old. It's one
    of the very first 'electronic' driers that came onto the market (at least in
    NZ) - a Kelvinator 405 E. Electronics were so new then that it has a
    stylised atom logo with orbiting electrons. I've repaired it several times
    over the years - and it was made to be repairable. I've stuck with it so
    long as it has a heat-sensor that's positioned in the exhaust air so that,
    when the clothes are dry (you can turn a knob to set exactly *how* dry you
    want them) it switches to 10 minutes of cool tumbling, then stops. No
    guessing with a timer and wasting huge amounts of power. I don't plan on
    replacing it soon but then again I only use it a few times a year these
    days. There's no way that a modern drier could be made to last as long as
    this one has lasted.

    I also drive a 28 year-old car.... Similarly the automobile industry has
    adopted planned obsolescence so anything much newer wouldn't last anywhere
    near as long. I do what I can, where I can to rebel against it but it's not
    even a drop in the ocean.

    To return to the point of this thread - I saw that someone else suggested
    that you buy a new LCD LED TV with built-in Freeview and I'm afraid that I
    concurr. It's really the only thing that makes sense. There's no point
    throwing money at an older TV that's going to keep failing every year -
    especially one that's going to be horrendously expensive to repair like a
    Loewe.

    The other option is to get a free or near-free CRT TV (with a tube, like
    yours) and wait until next year when you'll get a free Freeview box. However
    you'll always be behind the 8-ball if you stay with a CRT TV now that yours
    is playing up. The disadvantage to doing this latter thing is that you'll
    still be using old technology that isn't designed to last, with a seperate
    'set-top' box and a tangle of wires - complexity that I'm sure you don't
    need.

    My advice Geo, for what it's worth, is to buy a Samsung LED LCD TV with
    built-in Freeview. Going with an LED one will give you a better picture and
    cost less power to run and Samsung have proved to be a reliable company in
    my experience.

    I know that you're at the mercy of 'the TV man' to a large extent but don't
    foget that any advice he gives you is going to be coloured by the fact that
    he wants to continue to make a living off you (and his other customers). His
    advice might not be the best advice for you.

    If you do decide to get a new TV and are confused by the bewildering array
    of choices (and who isn't?) *and* if there's nobody from these groups who
    lives nearer to you who can go shopping with you or check on prices etc. amd
    advise you I humbly offer my assistance - even if it only consists of
    researching what I think is the best TV for you to buy. However, if you need
    the help and it's not forthcoming from someone more local to you I'm
    prepared to come shopping with you, advise you and bargain on your behalf.

    Best,
    --
    Shaun.

    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
    ~misfit~, Jun 7, 2012
  15. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
> [...]

    > company in my experience.
    >
    > I know that you're at the mercy of 'the TV man' to a large extent but
    > don't foget that any advice he gives you is going to be coloured by the
    > fact that he wants to continue to make a living off you (and his other
    > customers). His advice might not be the best advice for you.
    >
    > If you do decide to get a new TV and are confused by the bewildering array
    > of choices (and who isn't?) *and* if there's nobody from these groups who
    > lives nearer to you who can go shopping with you or check on prices etc.
    > amd advise you I humbly offer my assistance - even if it only consists of
    > researching what I think is the best TV for you to buy. However, if you
    > need the help and it's not forthcoming from someone more local to you I'm
    > prepared to come shopping with you, advise you and bargain on your behalf.

    Thank you, that's very kind.

    The TV man found a chip had been damaged and has got it going now, he's
    bringing it back today or tomorrow. I don't know the name of the chip yet.
    We'll keep this one for a while unless it breaks down again, it is quite a
    while yet before the change over, and I think we will get a Samsung then
    from The Good Guys, it depends on whether they deliver and set it up etc.
    We've found them very good for other items, and they are handy locally.
    Hubby likes them.

    Your advice is much appreciated
    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Jun 7, 2012
  16. Geopelia

    JohnO Guest

    On Jun 7, 1:05 pm, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs Geopelia wrote:
    >

    > > The TV man called. When he took the cover off and switched the power
    > > on, there were bright sparks of thousands of volts sparking and
    > > banging away inside. It was the things at the back of the tube. The
    > > wire is the one that carries an enormous voltage and sticks on to the
    > > back of the tube.
    > > He cut out the burnt wire and got the power going, but has had to
    > > take the inners away to see what else may have been damaged. He says
    > > the new electronic stuff damages more than the old valves.

    > > He's going to let us know what it would cost to repair. If it's
    > > possible and reasonable we will have it done, otherwise we will get a
    > > new set.
    > > That will be our fourth since the 1960s. We started with a small
    > > black and white one.
    > > Three sets in fifty years or so isn't bad. And the others were still
    > > working when we replaced them.

    > Hi Geopelia,
    >
    > Sadly the days of appliances that last for 20+ years are long gone. Sometime
    > before you bought that last set pretty much every company world-wide started
    > designing a planned life-span into their products. With the cheapest brands
    > it's usually not much longer than the warranty period. If you pay a bit (or
    > a lot) more you might get two to five years on top of the warranty period
    > before they fail. It's actually quite easy for the companies to do this and
    > do it they do!

    Quite so.

    However the Hyundai SD 42" plasma that I purchased back in 2006 is,
    much to my annoyance, still going strong!

    With TVs, the technology has advanced so quickly, that it actually
    doesn't matter if they only last 5 years. My 5 year old TV is now
    totally obsolete - SD only, and no digital tuner!

    JohnO, Jun 7, 2012
  17. Geopelia

    JohnO Guest

    On Jun 7, 2:37 pm, "Geopelia" <> wrote:
> [...]

    > > lives nearer to you who can go shopping with you or check on prices etc..
    > > amd advise you I humbly offer my assistance - even if it only consists of
    > > researching what I think is the best TV for you to buy. However, if you
    > > need the help and it's not forthcoming from someone more local to you I'm
    > > prepared to come shopping with you, advise you and bargain on your behalf.

    > Thank you, that's very kind.
    >
    > The TV man found a chip had been damaged and has got it going now, he's
    > bringing it back today or tomorrow. I don't know the name of the chip yet..
    > We'll keep this one for a while unless it breaks down again, it is quite a
    > while yet before the change over, and I think we will get a Samsung then
    > from The Good Guys, it depends on whether they deliver and set it up etc.
    > We've found them very good for other items, and they are handy locally.

    Sounds like you are sorted, Geo. And by the time analog TV closes
    down. LCD TV's will have plummeted even further in price.
    JohnO, Jun 7, 2012
  18. On Thu, 7 Jun 2012 14:37:11 +1200, "Geopelia" <>
    wrote:

> [...]

    >> lives nearer to you who can go shopping with you or check on prices etc.
    >> amd advise you I humbly offer my assistance - even if it only consists of
    >> researching what I think is the best TV for you to buy. However, if you
    >> need the help and it's not forthcoming from someone more local to you I'm
    >> prepared to come shopping with you, advise you and bargain on your behalf.

    >Thank you, that's very kind.
    >
    >The TV man found a chip had been damaged and has got it going now, he's
    >bringing it back today or tomorrow. I don't know the name of the chip yet.
    >We'll keep this one for a while unless it breaks down again, it is quite a
    >while yet before the change over, and I think we will get a Samsung then
    >from The Good Guys, it depends on whether they deliver and set it up etc.
    >We've found them very good for other items, and they are handy locally.

    Yes the Samsung's have USB port that lets you play many Video formats,
    Sony and Panasonic don't

    Plus never ever think about Sony even a shop that sells them think they
    are Crap, they don't come with a Manual its all in the TV, very hard to
    read the manual and set it up as you cant do both.
    Frank Williams, Jun 7, 2012
  19. Geopelia

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs JohnO wrote:
    > On Jun 7, 1:05 pm, "~misfit~" <> wrote:

    [snip]
    >> Sadly the days of appliances that last for 20+ years are long gone.
    >> Sometime
    >> before you bought that last set pretty much every company world-wide
    >> started
    >> designing a planned life-span into their products. With the cheapest
    >> brands
    >> it's usually not much longer than the warranty period. If you pay a
    >> bit (or
    >> a lot) more you might get two to five years on top of the warranty
    >> period
    >> before they fail. It's actually quite easy for the companies to do
    >> this and
    >> do it they do!

    > Quite so.
    >
    > However the Hyundai SD 42" plasma that I purchased back in 2006 is,
    > much to my annoyance, still going strong!

    Heh! It's not often you hear of folks complaining because their appliances
    *haven't* broken down. ;-)

    > With TVs, the technology has advanced so quickly, that it actually
    > doesn't matter if they only last 5 years. My 5 year old TV is now
    > totally obsolete - SD only, and no digital tuner!

    Yep, as I said further down in my post to Geopelia both PCs and TVs seem to
    have now reached a plateau where an average PC of today's specs will do
    anything most people could want in the foreseeable future and, with TVs
    (other than 3D <barf>) a good 32" or better 1080p LCD LED TV (Samsung 5
    Series being my pick) with freeview tuner should last many years as far as
    technological advances go.

    As said, I feel that we've reached a plateau now and, as long as you've got
    the above specs or better I don't think you'll be busting to upgrade anytime
    in the near future.

    As usual, all in my opinion only. ;-)

    ~misfit~, Jun 7, 2012
  20. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    The TV man has put the TV back together and it's working as well as ever -
    touch wood.
    The chip is TDA2177 or something near that. The sparking had affected it.

    He will come and install a new TV if the firm I buy one from doesn't have
    their own installer.
    So we will hang on and see what happens with this one for now.

    Hubby is delighted it's back, he was lost without it. Now we can watch the
    Rugby!

    Thanks to all.
    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Jun 7, 2012