    What is required?

    Would I need a video card with TV out?

    Thanks in advance!

    puffy, Jan 2, 2005

  2. puffy

    G. Morgan Guest

    Subject: TV on notebook
    Newsgroup: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    => puffy <= wrote:

    >Hello~!
    >
    >I have satellite TV and was wondering how would I get a connetion thru
    >to my notebook so I can watch tv and listen to music?
    >
    >What is required?
    >
    >Would I need a video card with TV out?

    Do you have a video input on the laptop?

    The better setup would be a dedicated desktop PC to use as media server and
    stream the content to the laptop via a LAN.

    I have a Hauppage PVR250 TV tuner card and use Snapstream Beyond TV software for
    mine.

    --
    -Graham

    Remove the 'snails' from my email

    G. Morgan, Jan 2, 2005

  3. I find ATI USB TV Tuner really great. I have an older USB 1 version but now
    you can purchase the slightly improved USB 2.0 version. I am guessing they
    have made a great piece of hardware even better.

    Incognito®©$, Jan 2, 2005
  4. puffy

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "G. Morgan" <> wrote in message
    | Subject: TV on notebook
    | Newsgroup: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    | => puffy <= wrote:
    |
    | >Hello~!
    | >
    | >I have satellite TV and was wondering how would I get a connetion thru
    | >to my notebook so I can watch tv and listen to music?
    | >
    | >What is required?
    | >
    | >Would I need a video card with TV out?
    | >

    | Do you have a video input on the laptop?
    |
    | The better setup would be a dedicated desktop PC to use as media server
    and
    | stream the content to the laptop via a LAN.
    |
    | I have a Hauppage PVR250 TV tuner card and use Snapstream Beyond TV
    software for
    | mine.

    Love that Snapstream! Wish I had a remote :( maybe next year <g>

    Toolman Tim, Jan 2, 2005
  5. puffy

    Dead_Dad Guest

    You also (depending on which satserv you use) might might want to check out
    something like this:
    http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/products/data_novasusb.html It's a DVB-S
    (i.e. Dish Network, FTA, etc.) receiver that plugs into a USB port. As is,
    you can only receive non-encrypted signals (i.e. Free To Air), but there is
    /lots/ of software out there that will allow you to receive Dish or
    ExpressVu. I was chatting with one fellow who tried to find out from
    ExpressVu how to receive his /paid/ subscription on his computer. They were
    somewhat less than helpful, <G> so he got a friend to set him up. The
    friend couldn't believe that this fellow only wanted the channels that he
    was paying for!

    Thnik about it!
    Dead_Dad

    P.S. I hope you have a /large/ hard drive. You need about 1 gigabyte of
    hard disk space per hour of recorded video. <GBG>

    In news:,
    Incognito®©$ <> babbled:

    Dead_Dad, Jan 2, 2005
  6. puffy

    G. Morgan Guest

    Subject: Re: TV on notebook
    => Toolman Tim <= wrote:

    >Love that Snapstream! Wish I had a remote :( maybe next year <g>

    I love it too... I just bought the TV card as a Christmas present for myself,
    I'm still getting SnapStream for free for another week. I'm hooked though -
    they are gonna get their $75 when the demo expires!

    The remote came with the TV card. Which card do you have?

    G. Morgan, Jan 3, 2005
  7. puffy

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "G. Morgan" <> wrote in message
    | Subject: Re: TV on notebook
    | Newsgroup: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    | => Toolman Tim <= wrote:
    |
    | >Love that Snapstream! Wish I had a remote :( maybe next year <g>
    | >

    | I love it too... I just bought the TV card as a Christmas present for
    myself,
    | I'm still getting SnapStream for free for another week. I'm hooked
    though -
    | they are gonna get their $75 when the demo expires!
    |
    | The remote came with the TV card. Which card do you have?

    Gee - don't remember...it was some generic thing, about $50. I had TV cards
    in some old Pentium 233MHz computers, and always loved the idea. But I'll
    have to get the credit card caught up before buying any more toys..heh heh
    heh...

    Toolman Tim, Jan 3, 2005
  8. Awesome! I was thinking about just that very thing not too long ago. Now I
    have to find out where to buy it! If this works it means no more carrying
    my BEV receiver with my laptop to my ship....woohoo. Thanks.

    Incognito®©$, Jan 3, 2005
  9. oh yeah by the way i have recorded audio/video to my desktop from my
    receiver using divx as the compressor....the resulting files were obviously
    much smaller than straight mpegs and much the same quality. its something
    for anyone to consider if the tuner software supports other codecs.

    Incognito®©$, Jan 3, 2005

    johnny hinnant, Jan 3, 2005
  11. puffy

    Dead_Dad Guest

    No problem. Glad I could help. If you want to use it portably /and/
    easily, check out http://motosat.com/ They build self-pointing satellite
    dishs, including some that work while in motion! C'est tres cool, n'est
    pas?

    Thnik about it!
    Dead_Dad

    In news:,
    Incognito®©$ <> babbled:

    Dead_Dad, Jan 4, 2005
  12. Good to know as well...but on the ship I just plug into the ships Seatel
    satellite dish...It has a gyro that keeps it locked onto the signal unless
    we go under a bridge or something and then it has to be reset....usually
    resets by itself though. great little system. http://www.seatel.com/

    Incognito®©$, Jan 4, 2005