TV on computer

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Geopelia, Nov 16, 2012.

  1. Geopelia

    Richard Guest

    On 11/20/2012 11:36 AM, Frank Williams wrote:
    > On Mon, 19 Nov 2012 21:24:58 +1300, Richard <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 11/19/2012 4:11 PM, Frank Williams wrote:
    >>

    >>> To match the screen size of a CRT 4:3 29" you need to go to a 37" or
    >>> 40" or your picture will me small height wise.
    >>>
    >>> There are stacks of guides on the net on how to chose a Wide screen
    >>> TV over a old CRT one..

    >> No you dont, it will equal a 24" LCD, since the 29" is a 27" picture on
    >> a 29" tube, and its the width that is the same, the height on a 16:9
    >> doesnt need to be as great as 1/4 of the 4:3 screen only ever shows
    >> black on it.

    > YOU ARE COMPLETLY TOTTLY WRONG, TO MATCH THE SCREEN HIGHT WITH A 29'
    > 4:3 SCREEN YOU NEED TO GET A 37' 10:9 SCREEN MINIMUM.
    >

    > REAL THE ARTICLE THAT I POSTED AS ITB SEEMS YOU DONT UNDERSTAND..

    The article is showing examples of 4:3 content on a 16:9 screen.

    10 years ago that would have been a common thing. However this is
    nolonger the case, and TV has to be viewed in letterbox on a 4:3 screen
    or you will be missing heaps of action and in many cases titles.

    So worrying about the height of 4:3 content on a 16:9 screen is a bit
    pointless when its the whole width of the widescreen that is being used,
    but not the full height of the old square screen.
    Richard, Nov 21, 2012

  2. On Wed, 21 Nov 2012 21:26:10 +1300, Richard <> wrote:

    >On 11/20/2012 11:36 AM, Frank Williams wrote:

    >>> No you dont, it will equal a 24" LCD, since the 29" is a 27" picture on
    >>> a 29" tube, and its the width that is the same, the height on a 16:9
    >>> doesnt need to be as great as 1/4 of the 4:3 screen only ever shows
    >>> black on it.

    >> YOU ARE COMPLETLY TOTTLY WRONG, TO MATCH THE SCREEN HIGHT WITH A 29'
    >> 4:3 SCREEN YOU NEED TO GET A 37' 10:9 SCREEN MINIMUM.
    >>

    >> REAL THE ARTICLE THAT I POSTED AS ITB SEEMS YOU DONT UNDERSTAND..

    >The article is showing examples of 4:3 content on a 16:9 screen.
    >
    >10 years ago that would have been a common thing. However this is
    >nolonger the case, and TV has to be viewed in letterbox on a 4:3 screen
    >or you will be missing heaps of action and in many cases titles.
    >
    >So worrying about the height of 4:3 content on a 16:9 screen is a bit
    >pointless when its the whole width of the widescreen that is being used,
    >but not the full height of the old square screen.

    Go into a shop and ask a Sales man, I went into this in great depths as
    being a TV repair man for some years..

    Its well known its the screen height that counts.

    You are Totally on the wrong track
    Frank Williams, Nov 22, 2012