TV on computer

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Geopelia, Nov 16, 2012.

  1. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Donchano" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > On Sat, 17 Nov 2012 19:14:06 +1300, "Geopelia" <>
    > shouted from the highest rooftop:
    >
    >>I've still got XP. Perhaps when that is obsolete I can change the computer
    >>at the same time.

    > That's MY plan. And my computer is just five years old (with very high
    > specs for the time) and I'm just 71.

    I'm happy with XP. It does all I want it to do. It's rather slow, but still
    works.

    Geopelia, Nov 17, 2012

  2. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "victor" <> wrote in message
    > On 17/11/2012 12:46 p.m., Geopelia wrote:
    >

    >> Thank you. The tapes are all ones I have recorded from the TV.
    >> Not really worth the expense of getting them saved.
    >>
    >> They were handy though to record any good programs.
    >>
    >> Geopelia
    >>

    > You will still be able to use your VCR to play them through either the old
    > TV or a new one after the switchover.
    > But it won't record from its own tuner anymore

    That's good. I'll watch them all and then find something else.

    Geopelia, Nov 17, 2012

  3. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    > On 17/11/12 15:48, Crash McBash wrote:
    >>
    >> Good luck getting to grips with all this Geo.

    We have got a good computer man and a TV man. Between them things should get
    sorted out.
    But will I have the brains to use the new stuff? Time will tell.

    > I remember when it was all black and white, there was only one TV station
    > that shut down every evening and the major problem was adjusting the
    > vertical and horizontal holds so that the picture could be viewed on the
    > 9" screen. It still looked like the action was taking place in a snowstorm
    > even if the picture was stable.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    And whenever the landlady's butter conditioner in her fridge switched on our
    picture disappeared sideways.

    I remember the days with no TV and the radios worked with valves. In London
    we could often get Germany (Lord Hawhaw) but otherwise just the local stuff.
    We even got Hitler once, could have been at the Olympics or some rally!

    My brother made me a crystal set with earphones to listen in bed. I had to
    move a sort of needle around on a crystal to get any reception.

    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Nov 17, 2012
  4. Geopelia

    Fierce Guppy Guest

    >"Geopelia" wrote in message news:k84f87$ok$...
    >We have got to get our TV changed over with this new system.
    >
    >But I can get some TV programs on the computer. Will they work with the
    >new system coming in, or will I have to get a set top box or something for
    >the computer too?
    >
    >Is there any way to watch recorded tapes on a computer?
    >
    >(And why does the government or someone have to mess about with a perfectly
    >good system anyway? To rake in more GST?)
    >
    >Silly questions I suppose.
    >
    >Thank you.
    >
    >Geopelia

    TV cards that include an s-video or composite video input is the way to
    watch recorded tapes on computers. For example, mine is a Hauppauge
    HVR-2200 which has two terrestrial digital tuners, two analog tuners and an
    s-video input. I use the digital (dvb-t) tuners for watching Freeview and
    don't use the analog ones at all. A VCR is hooked up to the s-video input
    because the fuddy-duddy at work stubbornly refuses to go digital and so
    records interesting documentaries to videotape. It comes with WinTV which
    is a very polished easy to use TV viewing program but I had to search around
    for HD video and audio codecs to use with it.

    Tony.

    Fierce Guppy, Nov 18, 2012
  5. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "geoff" <> wrote in message

    > "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    >> On 2012-11-16, Geopelia <> wrote:
    >>> We have got to get our TV changed over with this new system.

    >> You can get more channels is a given bandwidth and then you can sell of
    >> the
    >> rights to the old frequencies and make money. The mobile phone folks will
    >> be
    >> in like a robbers dog.

    > And you can see modern programs in full wide-screen format.
    >
    > Geo, don't bother dicking about with your old TV and a decoder - get a new
    > TV. I'm sure you'll be thrilled and wonder why you left is so long !
    >
    > geoff

    We have an excellent TV, a Loewe Cantus, and want to keep it.
    Would any other TV have such a great picture quality?

    Geopelia, Nov 18, 2012
  6. Geopelia

    Richard Guest

    On 11/18/2012 1:58 PM, geoff wrote:
    > "Geopelia" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> We grew up before TV, so aren't so dependent on it as folks today.

    > No, 'folks of today' (ie young folks, hardly ever watch TV. They are
    > glued, in solitary, to their tiny laptop computer monitors. Sad. Even the
    > social aspect of watching scheduled programmes is being lost.
    >
    > geoff

    Not really, twitter etc have given them a revival for the scheduled
    broadcast

    Richard, Nov 18, 2012
  7. Geopelia

    Richard Guest

    On 11/18/2012 5:05 PM, Geopelia wrote:

    > We have an excellent TV, a Loewe Cantus, and want to keep it.
    > Would any other TV have such a great picture quality?

    Well it is quite a small tv, so anything newer would probably be bigger
    so better.

    Richard, Nov 18, 2012
  8. Geopelia

    Donchano Guest

    On Sun, 18 Nov 2012 17:05:17 +1300, "Geopelia" <>
    shouted from the highest rooftop:

    >We have an excellent TV, a Loewe Cantus, and want to keep it.
    >Would any other TV have such a great picture quality?

    We had an excellent CRT television in our bedroom with a 24" screen.
    But my aging eyes could no longer read the credits or see the details.
    So even though it was working perfectly after 9 years of owning it, we
    decided to get a 34" flat screen LCD a few years ago and it was one of
    the best decisions we've ever made. Not only is the picture brighter,
    clearer and far easier to see, I can pick up the tv and move it easily
    - something that had become impossible with the CRT. It also takes up
    far less room.

    We gave the CRT to a nephew who enjoyed it for several months before
    selling it. He also helped me set up the new tv. Definitely a WIN/WIN.

    Donchano, Nov 18, 2012
  9. Geopelia

    Richard Guest

    On 11/18/2012 6:35 PM, Donchano wrote:

    > On Sun, 18 Nov 2012 17:05:17 +1300, "Geopelia" <>
    > shouted from the highest rooftop:
    >

    >> We have an excellent TV, a Loewe Cantus, and want to keep it.
    >> Would any other TV have such a great picture quality?

    > We had an excellent CRT television in our bedroom with a 24" screen.
    > But my aging eyes could no longer read the credits or see the details.
    > So even though it was working perfectly after 9 years of owning it, we
    > decided to get a 34" flat screen LCD a few years ago and it was one of
    > the best decisions we've ever made. Not only is the picture brighter,
    > clearer and far easier to see, I can pick up the tv and move it easily
    > - something that had become impossible with the CRT. It also takes up
    > far less room.
    >
    > We gave the CRT to a nephew who enjoyed it for several months before
    > selling it. He also helped me set up the new tv. Definitely a WIN/WIN.

    Different set of artifacts on a LCD to an old CRT, but when you go back
    to the CRT you will be like, how the hell did I put up with this to its
    ones.

    Black level is immaterial compared to all the issues CRTs have with
    geometry and moire and flicker etc.

    Richard, Nov 18, 2012
  10. On Sun, 18 Nov 2012 17:05:17 +1300, "Geopelia" <>
    wrote:

    >"geoff" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Gordon" <> wrote in message

    >>> You can get more channels is a given bandwidth and then you can sell of
    >>> the
    >>> rights to the old frequencies and make money. The mobile phone folks will
    >>> be
    >>> in like a robbers dog.

    >> And you can see modern programs in full wide-screen format.
    >>
    >> Geo, don't bother dicking about with your old TV and a decoder - get a new
    >> TV. I'm sure you'll be thrilled and wonder why you left is so long !
    >>
    >> geoff

    >We have an excellent TV, a Loewe Cantus, and want to keep it.
    >Would any other TV have such a great picture quality?

    Yes by some 200% your TV is to OLD and is not sharp at all..

    Frank Williams, Nov 18, 2012
  11. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "geoff" <> wrote in message

    > "Geopelia" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> We grew up before TV, so aren't so dependent on it as folks today.

    > No, 'folks of today' (ie young folks, hardly ever watch TV. They are
    > glued, in solitary, to their tiny laptop computer monitors. Sad. Even the
    > social aspect of watching scheduled programmes is being lost.
    >
    > geoff

    That could be because of the lack of good programs. I would rather use the
    internet than watch some of the rubbish on TV these days. There is a limit
    to watching brainless comedies and gruesome murders (enough of those in real
    life!).

    I'll stick to sport (Rugby, boxing and motor bikes), historical war films,
    science, wildlife, gardening and cooking, with a priceless gem like "Downton
    Abbey" or "Rome" now and then.

    When I was a small child, there were fairy tales of people with a magic box
    or a crystal ball, where everything happening in the world would appear.
    Now we have that, with the TV. Live events by satellite from the other side
    of the planet!
    (Interrupted by adverts, of course).

    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Nov 18, 2012
  12. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Richard" <> wrote in message
    > On 11/18/2012 5:05 PM, Geopelia wrote:
    >
    >> We have an excellent TV, a Loewe Cantus, and want to keep it.
    >> Would any other TV have such a great picture quality?

    > Well it is quite a small tv, so anything newer would probably be bigger so
    > better.

    I think it's 29 inch. Anything bigger would be a nuisance in our place.

    Geopelia, Nov 18, 2012
  13. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Frank Williams" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 18 Nov 2012 17:05:17 +1300, "Geopelia" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"geoff" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Gordon" <> wrote in message

    >>> And you can see modern programs in full wide-screen format.
    >>>
    >>> Geo, don't bother dicking about with your old TV and a decoder - get a
    >>> new
    >>> TV. I'm sure you'll be thrilled and wonder why you left is so long !
    >>>
    >>> geoff

    >>We have an excellent TV, a Loewe Cantus, and want to keep it.
    >>Would any other TV have such a great picture quality?
    >>

    > Yes by some 200% your TV is to OLD and is not sharp at all..

    Everything in our place is old, including us!

    Geopelia, Nov 18, 2012
  14. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "geoff" <> wrote in message

    > "Geopelia" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Thank you. The tapes are all ones I have recorded from the TV.
    >> Not really worth the expense of getting them saved.
    >>
    >> They were handy though to record any good programs.
    >>
    >> Geopelia

    > You can play your old tape back on a new digital TV just fine.
    >
    > geoff

    It's hard to find new tapes though. Countdown doesn't seem to sell them now.

    Geopelia, Nov 18, 2012
  15. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "geoff" <> wrote in message

    > "Geopelia" <> wrote in message
    >> We have got to get our TV changed over with this new system.
    >>
    >> But I can get some TV programs on the computer. Will they work with the
    >> new system coming in, or will I have to get a set top box or something
    >> for the computer too?

    > Nothing to do with regular TV - it's just like watching things on YouTube.
    > Stuck with a computer screen.
    >
    >> Is there any way to watch recorded tapes on a computer?

    > No.
    >
    >> (And why does the government or someone have to mess about with a
    >> perfectly good system anyway? To rake in more GST?)

    > No. It's about staying in touch with the real world, and the old system
    > was not 'perfectly good'.
    >

    >> Silly questions I suppose.

    > Yep !
    >
    > ;-)
    >
    > geoff

    I've been amazed at some of the stuff on YouTube. The censor would have a
    blue fit!

    Geopelia, Nov 18, 2012
  16. Geopelia

    Enkidu Guest

    On 17/11/12 17:41, Gordon wrote:
    > On 2012-11-17, Frank Williams <> wrote:
    >> On Fri, 16 Nov 2012 23:59:48 +1300, "Geopelia"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> It's not all that old, about 12 years.

    >> Over 5 Years is OLD.

    > Gosh Roger, got your marketing hat on? The question is does it work?
    > Vintage cars still carry people from A to B.

    So long as A and B are not too far apart.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Nov 18, 2012
  17. Geopelia

    Enkidu Guest

    On 19/11/12 00:19, Geopelia wrote:
    > "geoff" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Geopelia" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Thank you. The tapes are all ones I have recorded from the TV.
    >>> Not really worth the expense of getting them saved.
    >>>
    >>> They were handy though to record any good programs.
    >>>
    >>> Geopelia

    >> You can play your old tape back on a new digital TV just fine.
    >>
    >> geoff

    > It's hard to find new tapes though. Countdown doesn't seem to sell them now.

    Well, you can't buy VCRs any more.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Nov 18, 2012
  18. Geopelia

    Enkidu Guest

    On 19/11/12 00:15, Geopelia wrote:
    > "Richard" <> wrote in message
    >> On 11/18/2012 5:05 PM, Geopelia wrote:
    >>
    >>> We have an excellent TV, a Loewe Cantus, and want to keep it.
    >>> Would any other TV have such a great picture quality?

    >> Well it is quite a small tv, so anything newer would probably be bigger so
    >> better.

    > I think it's 29 inch. Anything bigger would be a nuisance in our place.

    A 30 inch digital TV would be sharper. Sharper is usually better. Also
    any new TV will have FreeView built in.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Nov 18, 2012
  19. Geopelia

    Enkidu Guest

    On 19/11/12 00:17, Geopelia wrote:
    > "Frank Williams" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 18 Nov 2012 17:05:17 +1300, "Geopelia" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>> "geoff" <> wrote in message

    >>> We have an excellent TV, a Loewe Cantus, and want to keep it.
    >>> Would any other TV have such a great picture quality?
    >>>

    >> Yes by some 200% your TV is to OLD and is not sharp at all..

    > Everything in our place is old, including us!

    Roger is right though. Unless it has been adjusted in those 5 years it
    will have drifted slightly off focus. Digitals just do not do that. An
    analog TV works by literally drawing an image with a steam of electrons.
    Imagine trying to draw a picture with a fire hose! A digital is more
    like a huge bank of switches.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Nov 18, 2012
  20. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    > On 19/11/12 00:15, Geopelia wrote:
    >> "Richard" <> wrote in message

    >>> Well it is quite a small tv, so anything newer would probably be bigger
    >>> so
    >>> better.

    >> I think it's 29 inch. Anything bigger would be a nuisance in our place.
    >>

    > A 30 inch digital TV would be sharper. Sharper is usually better. Also any
    > new TV will have FreeView built in.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    Thank you, I'll keep that in mind. What we get is up to Hubby.

    Geopelia, Nov 19, 2012