    d. Anyone offer them like this ?

    Thanks,
    B.

    Robert11, Jan 8, 2008

  2. Robert11

    richard Guest

    On Mon, 7 Jan 2008 19:54:55 -0500, "Robert11" <>
    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >Realize it's a bit not quite PC related, but hope topic is close enough not
    >to violate any forum protocalls.
    >Everyone here, it seems, just knows so much about this kinda stuff.
    >
    >Got to thinking about TV's a bit.
    >
    >a. Irrespective of if anyone makes them or not, can CRT TV sets be made for
    >digital inputs ?
    >b. Does anyone offer them ?
    >
    >c. Can CRT TV's be made for digital, and High Definition ?
    >d. Anyone offer them like this ?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >B.

    CRT stands for "Cathode Ray Tube".
    The original method of watching tv.
    We have now seen the introduction of LCD, and plasma.
    Neither of which are CRT's.
    If you have one of those big bulky Tv's, it's a CRT.
    Today's CRT's are designed with digital inputs so that you can plug in
    various digital based equipment.
    Just go to any dealer and ask.

    As for HD, did you know it's actually Imax?
    In the very near future, that next big tv you buy will be HD ready.

    richard, Jan 8, 2008

  3. Robert11

    Guest

    Might find something here http://www.pcbuyerbeware.co.uk/Monitor2.htm
    --

    Wonder What the Cockpit Looks Like...
    http://tinyurl.com/yurznf

    , Jan 8, 2008
  4. Robert11

    G. Morgan Guest

    richard wrote:

    >As for HD, did you know it's actually Imax?

    Huh? Classic RTS..

    G. Morgan, Jan 8, 2008
  5. Robert11

    PeeCee Guest

    "Robert11" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Realize it's a bit not quite PC related, but hope topic is close enough
    > not to violate any forum protocalls.
    > Everyone here, it seems, just knows so much about this kinda stuff.
    >
    > Got to thinking about TV's a bit.
    >
    > a. Irrespective of if anyone makes them or not, can CRT TV sets be made
    > for digital inputs ?
    > b. Does anyone offer them ?
    >
    > c. Can CRT TV's be made for digital, and High Definition ?
    > d. Anyone offer them like this ?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > B.

    Robert

    a. Yes
    b. Yes and no
    c. Yes but.
    d. Depends

    Comentary

    One yes and three maybe's. Why?

    Several points to consider:
    A CRT is a display device that accepts 'analog' signals.
    A TV is a 'system' consisting of a display device and the signal processing
    circuitry to convert the broadcast signal to show on a display device.
    (The display device in this context could be but not limited to mono CRT,
    colour CRT, LCD, Plasma, little green men drawing pictures on paper every
    25th of a second etc.)
    Therefore a CRT is not necessarily a TV and a TV does not necessarily need a
    CRT.
    The 'quality' or resolution of what's shown to the viewer depends on how the
    signal is processed by the devices involved and the resolution of the
    display device.

    Therefore to expand on the answers above:

    a.
    A CRT TV built to current TV standards could be made to accept Digital TV
    signals but you would have to place a converter between the digital signal
    and the CRT TV to convert the digital signal to one the CRT TV input
    circuitry can process to show on the screen.
    This is in fact what happens when you connect (say) a sattelite or cable
    decoder to a CRT TV, the original signal may be HD but the output to the CRT
    TV will be resized to match the CRT TV's resolution.
    i.e. probably a lot less that that broadcast.
    In theory you could build a HD CRT TV but current CRT display technology is
    crude compared to the resolution modern flat panel displays are capbable of.
    CRT TV's with built in HD to CRT circuitry may be around (one can never say
    never) but as CRT technology is now dead, no one is going to waste money on
    developing such a TV.
    After all who would buy it?

    b.
    See a.

    c.
    See a.

    d.
    See a.

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Jan 8, 2008
  6. Robert11

    Mitch Guest

    In article <>, richard
    <> wrote:

    > As for HD, did you know it's actually Imax?

    This is idiotic.
    Imax is a film format tied to a couple projection options.
    It has NOTHING WHATEVER to do with TV standards.

    Mitch, Jan 8, 2008
  7. On 2008-01-08, in 24hoursupport.helpdesk, G Morgan waxed eloquently:
    > richard wrote:
    >
    >>As for HD, did you know it's actually Imax?

    > Huh? Classic RTS..

    RtS likes to watch Imax "movys" on his TV....

    --
    The Old Sourdough
    Q: What's the difference between a dead dog in the road and a dead

    The Old Sourdough, Jan 8, 2008
  8. Robert11

    ftran999 Guest

    "Robert11" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Realize it's a bit not quite PC related, but hope topic is close enough
    > not to violate any forum protocalls.
    > Everyone here, it seems, just knows so much about this kinda stuff.
    >
    > Got to thinking about TV's a bit.
    >
    > a. Irrespective of if anyone makes them or not, can CRT TV sets be made
    > for digital inputs ?
    > b. Does anyone offer them ?
    >
    > c. Can CRT TV's be made for digital, and High Definition ?

    Though there may not be any currently on the market, at one time there were
    HD CRTs Available.
    > d. Anyone offer them like this ?

    Sony is (or was?) one such company. In fact when the 34" XBR model was on
    the market, many considered it to be one of the best HD TVs.

    ftran999, Jan 9, 2008