    are compatible with the EPG?

    Thanks

    -KENT
    Kent Smith, Apr 30, 2007

  2. Kent Smith

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "Kent Smith" <> wrote in message
    news:f13rno$krj$...
    > Can someone recommend a good DVB-S card for freeview? Are there any that
    > are compatible with the EPG?

    Any should work?

    The EPG is standard! don't worry about the "enhanced" mheg one.
    Craig Sutton, Apr 30, 2007

  3. Kent Smith

    iascoot Guest

    i use the Hauppauge Nova-S-Plus, but there could be better ones out
    there
    iascoot, Apr 30, 2007
  4. Kent Smith

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 16:36:06 +1200, "Kent Smith"
    <> wrote:

    >Can someone recommend a good DVB-S card for freeview? Are there any that
    >are compatible with the EPG?

    Is it better to get a DVB-S card, or to wait for DVB-T? Or are they both the
    same quality signal?
    Craig Shore, May 1, 2007
  5. Kent Smith

    Steven Ellis Guest

    On May 1, 11:20 pm, Craig Shore <> wrote:
    > On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 16:36:06 +1200, "Kent Smith"
    >
    > <> wrote:
    > >Can someone recommend a good DVB-S card for freeview? Are there any that
    > >are compatible with the EPG?

    > Is it better to get a DVB-S card, or to wait for DVB-T? Or are they both the
    > same quality signal?

    If you already have a dish or poor reception get DVB-S.

    If you have excellent reception and good Prime off your aerial then
    DVB-T will work well.

    They are planning on providing some channels in HD on DVB-T, but the
    service won't launch until Feb/March 2008.

    Steve
    Steven Ellis, May 1, 2007
  6. Kent Smith

    kornkob Guest

    "Steven Ellis" <> wrote in message
    > On May 1, 11:20 pm, Craig Shore <> wrote:
    >> On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 16:36:06 +1200, "Kent Smith"
    >>
    >> <> wrote:
    >> >Can someone recommend a good DVB-S card for freeview? Are there any
    >> >that
    >> >are compatible with the EPG?

    >> Is it better to get a DVB-S card, or to wait for DVB-T? Or are they both
    >> the
    >> same quality signal?

    > If you already have a dish or poor reception get DVB-S.
    >
    > If you have excellent reception and good Prime off your aerial then
    > DVB-T will work well.
    >
    > They are planning on providing some channels in HD on DVB-T, but the
    > service won't launch until Feb/March 2008.

    Or you can pick up a card like the Hauppauge HVR3000 or HVR4000, which give
    you a DVB-S and DVB-T tuner on the same device. This would allow you to use
    DVB-S today, and DVB-T when it arrives early next year. Both tuners can be
    used at the same time.
    kornkob, May 1, 2007
  7. Kent Smith

    Sir to you Guest

    On May 2, 8:15 am, "kornkob" <> wrote:
    > "Steven Ellis" <> wrote in message

    > > On May 1, 11:20 pm, Craig Shore <> wrote:

    > >> Is it better to get a DVB-S card, or to wait for DVB-T? Or are they both
    > >> the
    > >> same quality signal?

    > > If you already have a dish or poor reception get DVB-S.

    > > If you have excellent reception and good Prime off your aerial then
    > > DVB-T will work well.

    > > They are planning on providing some channels in HD on DVB-T, but the
    > > service won't launch until Feb/March 2008.

    > Or you can pick up a card like the Hauppauge HVR3000 or HVR4000, which give
    > you a DVB-S and DVB-T tuner on the same device. This would allow you to use
    > DVB-S today, and DVB-T when it arrives early next year. Both tuners can be
    > used at the same time.- Hide quoted text -

    bloody hell! hows the man on the street supposed to know about all
    this stuff.

    How do we know that dvb-U won't arrive on the scene rendering
    everything worthless?

    I might have to search for a faq.
    Sir to you, May 2, 2007
  8. Kent Smith

    sam Guest

    Sir to you wrote:
    > On May 2, 8:15 am, "kornkob" <> wrote:
    >> "Steven Ellis" <> wrote in message

    >>> If you already have a dish or poor reception get DVB-S.
    >>> If you have excellent reception and good Prime off your aerial then
    >>> DVB-T will work well.
    >>> They are planning on providing some channels in HD on DVB-T, but the
    >>> service won't launch until Feb/March 2008.

    >> Or you can pick up a card like the Hauppauge HVR3000 or HVR4000, which give
    >> you a DVB-S and DVB-T tuner on the same device. This would allow you to use
    >> DVB-S today, and DVB-T when it arrives early next year. Both tuners can be
    >> used at the same time.- Hide quoted text -

    > bloody hell! hows the man on the street supposed to know about all
    > this stuff.
    >
    > How do we know that dvb-U won't arrive on the scene rendering
    > everything worthless?
    >
    > I might have to search for a faq.

    Digital Video Broadcasting

    DVB-S the S stands for satellite and DVB-T the T stands for terrestrial
    if that makes it any simpler
    sam, May 2, 2007
  9. Kent Smith

    Steven Ellis Guest

    On May 2, 8:15 am, "kornkob" <> wrote:
    > "Steven Ellis" <> wrote in message

    > > On May 1, 11:20 pm, Craig Shore <> wrote:

    > >> Is it better to get a DVB-S card, or to wait for DVB-T? Or are they both
    > >> the
    > >> same quality signal?

    > > If you already have a dish or poor reception get DVB-S.

    > > If you have excellent reception and good Prime off your aerial then
    > > DVB-T will work well.

    > > They are planning on providing some channels in HD on DVB-T, but the
    > > service won't launch until Feb/March 2008.

    > Or you can pick up a card like the Hauppauge HVR3000 or HVR4000, which give
    > you a DVB-S and DVB-T tuner on the same device. This would allow you to use
    > DVB-S today, and DVB-T when it arrives early next year. Both tuners can be
    > used at the same time.

    Where did you hear you can use both tuners at the same time, as I've
    heard otherwise. There is only one DVB tuner that can be set to either
    DVB-T or DVB-S.
    Steven Ellis, May 2, 2007
  10. Kent Smith

    > On May 2, 8:15 am, "kornkob" <> wrote:
    >> "Steven Ellis" <> wrote in message

    >> > If you already have a dish or poor reception get DVB-S.

    >> > If you have excellent reception and good Prime off your aerial then
    >> > DVB-T will work well.

    >> > They are planning on providing some channels in HD on DVB-T, but the
    >> > service won't launch until Feb/March 2008.

    >> Or you can pick up a card like the Hauppauge HVR3000 or HVR4000, which
    >> give
    >> you a DVB-S and DVB-T tuner on the same device. This would allow you to
    >> use
    >> DVB-S today, and DVB-T when it arrives early next year. Both tuners can
    >> be
    >> used at the same time.

    > Where did you hear you can use both tuners at the same time, as I've
    > heard otherwise. There is only one DVB tuner that can be set to either
    > DVB-T or DVB-S.

    I've had a HVR4000 in my machine for the last few months. Its got two tuners
    on it. One is for DVB-S/S2, the other is for analog and DVB-T. I can happily
    record from DVB-S while watching live tv on the analog tuner - all at the
    same time. I can also be watching live TV from the DVB-S tuner, while
    scanning for DVB-T channels (obviously not finding any yet).

    This is different from the HVR1100/1300 though, which only has one tuner,
    which can be used for either analog or DVB-T, but not both at the same time.
    kornkob, May 2, 2007
  11. Kent Smith

    Mutlley Guest

    sam <> wrote:

    >Sir to you wrote:
    >> On May 2, 8:15 am, "kornkob" <> wrote:
    >>> "Steven Ellis" <> wrote in message

    >>> Or you can pick up a card like the Hauppauge HVR3000 or HVR4000, which give
    >>> you a DVB-S and DVB-T tuner on the same device. This would allow you to use
    >>> DVB-S today, and DVB-T when it arrives early next year. Both tuners can be
    >>> used at the same time.- Hide quoted text -

    >> bloody hell! hows the man on the street supposed to know about all
    >> this stuff.
    >>
    >> How do we know that dvb-U won't arrive on the scene rendering
    >> everything worthless?
    >>
    >> I might have to search for a faq.
    >>

    >Digital Video Broadcasting
    >
    >DVB-S the S stands for satellite and DVB-T the T stands for terrestrial
    >if that makes it any simpler

    And DVB-H (Hand held..)
    Mutlley, May 2, 2007
  12. Kent Smith

    Steven Ellis Guest

    kornkob wrote:
    > "Steven Ellis" <> wrote in message
    > > On May 2, 8:15 am, "kornkob" <> wrote:
    > >> "Steven Ellis" <> wrote in message

    > >> Or you can pick up a card like the Hauppauge HVR3000 or HVR4000, which
    > >> give
    > >> you a DVB-S and DVB-T tuner on the same device. This would allow you to
    > >> use
    > >> DVB-S today, and DVB-T when it arrives early next year. Both tuners can
    > >> be
    > >> used at the same time.

    > > Where did you hear you can use both tuners at the same time, as I've
    > > heard otherwise. There is only one DVB tuner that can be set to either
    > > DVB-T or DVB-S.
    > >

    > I've had a HVR4000 in my machine for the last few months. Its got two tuners
    > on it. One is for DVB-S/S2, the other is for analog and DVB-T. I can happily
    > record from DVB-S while watching live tv on the analog tuner - all at the
    > same time. I can also be watching live TV from the DVB-S tuner, while
    > scanning for DVB-T channels (obviously not finding any yet).
    >
    > This is different from the HVR1100/1300 though, which only has one tuner,
    > which can be used for either analog or DVB-T, but not both at the same time.

    Sounds good. Have you tried watching Analogue and doing a DVB-T scan?

    Also is it hardware mpeg on analogue, or software based capture.

    Lastly where did you order the HVR4000 from as I haven't seen it
    locally.

    Steve
    Steven Ellis, May 3, 2007
  13. > Lastly where did you order the HVR4000 from as I haven't seen it
    > locally.

    I checked and I cannot seem to find the HVR4000 either avilable in NZ.. You
    can get the HVR 3000 via the wholesalers... I see the difference between the
    3000 and 4000 is the DVB-S2 which is added (apart from DVB-T,DVB-S ana
    analog). the DVB-S2 is not needed in NZ.

    I looked at getting a HVR-3000 to run under mythtv, but the linux drivers
    are not 100% correct right yet, so I got a Nova S Plus (DVB-S only) which is
    about the same price.

    Thanks
    Craig Whitmore, May 3, 2007
  14. Kent Smith

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "Craig Whitmore" <> wrote in message
    >> Lastly where did you order the HVR4000 from as I haven't seen it
    >> locally.
    >>

    > I checked and I cannot seem to find the HVR4000 either avilable in NZ..
    > You can get the HVR 3000 via the wholesalers... I see the difference
    > between the 3000 and 4000 is the DVB-S2 which is added (apart from
    > DVB-T,DVB-S ana analog). the DVB-S2 is not needed in NZ.
    >
    > I looked at getting a HVR-3000 to run under mythtv, but the linux drivers
    > are not 100% correct right yet, so I got a Nova S Plus (DVB-S only) which
    > is about the same price.

    DVB S2 will be used here eventually for HDTV broadcasts Sky will use it.
    Craig Sutton, May 3, 2007
  15. Kent Smith

    > kornkob wrote:
    >> "Steven Ellis" <> wrote in message

    >> > Where did you hear you can use both tuners at the same time, as I've
    >> > heard otherwise. There is only one DVB tuner that can be set to either
    >> > DVB-T or DVB-S.
    >> >

    >> I've had a HVR4000 in my machine for the last few months. Its got two
    >> tuners
    >> on it. One is for DVB-S/S2, the other is for analog and DVB-T. I can
    >> happily
    >> record from DVB-S while watching live tv on the analog tuner - all at the
    >> same time. I can also be watching live TV from the DVB-S tuner, while
    >> scanning for DVB-T channels (obviously not finding any yet).
    >>
    >> This is different from the HVR1100/1300 though, which only has one tuner,
    >> which can be used for either analog or DVB-T, but not both at the same
    >> time.

    > Sounds good. Have you tried watching Analogue and doing a DVB-T scan?
    >
    > Also is it hardware mpeg on analogue, or software based capture.

    Unfortunately it lacks any MPEG2 encoder hardware, but that didnt bother me
    too much. I'm not really too interested in analog these days.

    > Lastly where did you order the HVR4000 from as I haven't seen it
    > locally.

    Mine was a freebie from Hauppauge a while back - I'm not sure if they're
    being sold here yet.

    HVR3000 should be good too, same as HVR4000 minus DVB-S2, but we dont have
    that in our part of the world so not a huge problem.
    kornkob, May 3, 2007
  16. Kent Smith

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Thu, 03 May 2007 06:54:03 GMT, "kornkob" <> wrote:

    >> Also is it hardware mpeg on analogue, or software based capture.

    >Unfortunately it lacks any MPEG2 encoder hardware, but that didnt bother me
    >too much. I'm not really too interested in analog these days.

    Do these cards just save the stream coming off the satellite as is without
    modifying it?
    Craig Shore, May 3, 2007
  17. Kent Smith

    kornkob Guest

    "Craig Shore" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 03 May 2007 06:54:03 GMT, "kornkob" <> wrote:
    >
    >>> Also is it hardware mpeg on analogue, or software based capture.

    >>Unfortunately it lacks any MPEG2 encoder hardware, but that didnt bother
    >>me
    >>too much. I'm not really too interested in analog these days.

    > Do these cards just save the stream coming off the satellite as is without
    > modifying it?

    Yes, thats what all DVB cards I've seen do, though it depends what the
    software does exactly. Usually they'll filter out all the PIDs other than
    the channel you're trying to record. There is no re-encoding of the audio or
    video.
    kornkob, May 3, 2007
  18. Kent Smith

    *K* Guest

    On Tue, 01 May 2007 20:15:54 GMT, "kornkob" <> wrote:

    >"Steven Ellis" <> wrote in message
    >> On May 1, 11:20 pm, Craig Shore <> wrote:

    >>> Is it better to get a DVB-S card, or to wait for DVB-T? Or are they both
    >>> the
    >>> same quality signal?

    >> If you already have a dish or poor reception get DVB-S.
    >>
    >> If you have excellent reception and good Prime off your aerial then
    >> DVB-T will work well.
    >>
    >> They are planning on providing some channels in HD on DVB-T, but the
    >> service won't launch until Feb/March 2008.
    >>

    >Or you can pick up a card like the Hauppauge HVR3000 or HVR4000, which give
    >you a DVB-S and DVB-T tuner on the same device. This would allow you to use
    >DVB-S today, and DVB-T when it arrives early next year. Both tuners can be
    >used at the same time.

    the HVR3000 is available, havent seen the 4000 anywhere though, look
    pretty good in theory, but info and reviews are a little hard to come
    by, the UK site is the only one showing specs on the 3000 .
    *K*, May 6, 2007
  19. Kent Smith

    *K* Guest

    On 1 May 2007 19:14:54 -0700, Steven Ellis <>
    wrote:

    >> Or you can pick up a card like the Hauppauge HVR3000 or HVR4000, which give
    >> you a DVB-S and DVB-T tuner on the same device. This would allow you to use
    >> DVB-S today, and DVB-T when it arrives early next year. Both tuners can be
    >> used at the same time.

    >Where did you hear you can use both tuners at the same time, as I've
    >heard otherwise. There is only one DVB tuner that can be set to either
    >DVB-T or DVB-S.

    the 3000 is a tri tuner and yes you can 3 all three at once (1 analoge
    tuner) and no it doesnt use the BT7xx chip for what it's worth, mores
    the pity :-(
    *K*, May 6, 2007
  20. Kent Smith

    hibaru Guest

    Hi

    i just recently bought a hauppauge HVR 3000 card and am having trouble
    with the DVB-S settings. Im using the software that came with the
    card. But all the instructions are for UK and Im in NZ, I have
    searched and tried tuning with the satellite : 1600 OPTUS D1 (160.0E)
    but fail to get any channels. Low Osc (KHz) set to 9750000, High Osc
    (KHz) set to 10600000. LNB Switch (KHz) set to 11700000.
    Just wondering if anyone could recommend another satellite or some
    toubleshooting tips, Ive read http://pvr.geek.nz/w/index.php/DVB-S_Setup
    which was helpful but need abit more to go on.

    Cheers
    hibaru, Jul 2, 2007