TV Capture Card

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by John Dean, Jun 15, 2004.

  1. John Dean

    John Dean Guest

    Had a TV card put into my new PC for those occasions when I want to see
    something on TV without leaving the Computer. Turns out the card has the
    facility to 'video' programmes onto my HD. Which wouldn't have been a
    deal breaker, but I'm intrigued enough to experiment with it (though I
    don't really see the need since I have a VCR and will shortly get a
    recordable DVD. Anyway.)
    The software only seems to record a limited amount of stuff. I set it to
    record an hour and it records 20 minutes worth at the lowest setting
    into an mpg around 200 Mb or 10 minutes at the highest ('DVD') setting
    into a dat file around 350 Mb. I have oodles of room on the partition
    where these files are to go and bags of RAM.
    The card seems to be a generic Philips type - diagnostics say it's a 'TV
    Card 7130' and a 'TV Card WDM TV Tuner'. Using XP and Google tells me XP
    can have a maximum file size of 2 GB (which is way above what I'm trying
    to capture). So, is there something somewhere I could tweak? (Being a
    generic card, there's no supporting documentation and nothing useful in
    the help file.
    Any thoughts?
    --
    John Dean
    Oxford
    John Dean, Jun 15, 2004

  2. John Dean

    TT Guest

    I've recorded to my XP Pro hard drive plenty of times for more than 2
    gig at a time...I use an all in one Nvidia graphics card that comes with a
    remote to do the same thing that you're doing...I didn't want to buy a
    TIVO box or any of the other DVR's or media stations to do that-it really
    works nice too. I threw away my VCR after I converted my keeper VHS tapes
    to CD's and DVD's...

    TT, Jun 16, 2004